Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I want to know if an American Bully can do IPO sport work just for fun I want to get a (standard 60 to 70 pounds) (XL 80 to 100 pounds) or (pocket 20 to 40 pounds) American Bully puppy and take him to a club and do IPO if you don't know what the American Bully is its a new breed of dog recognized by the UKC they were bred to a companion dog that looks like the American Pitbull Terrier but doesn't have the animal aggression like the American Pit Bull Terrier and their temperament they act like labs they like meeting people they don't act like guardian breeds like German Shepherd, Malinois, or Rotties. I'm new to the sport of Schutzhund and want to start with an American bully I'll show pictures of what the breed looks like down below. p.s. these are American bullies, not American Bulldogs, not American Pit Bull terriers, not American Staffordshire Terriers they are completely different breeds.
for sale standard american bully - G-train Bullies
10 Types of American Bully Bloodlines (With Pictures) | Pet Keen

9 Things You Should Know About the American Bully - Animalso
American Bully | UBKC Registry
American Bully Dog Breed Information and Pictures

·
Registered
10 Posts
Generally, no. The vast majority of these guys don't have much working ability, and most have some type of health issue and quite a short lifespan. Even in the ones that pass health and temperament barriers to entry, you are better off starting out with a breed that typically succeeds in the sport such as a Malinois or GSD. Sorry this is probably not the answer you wanted, but it is the truth based on my experience. There are some really awesome bullies out there, but they are hard to find and take a certain type of handler finesse. They are slower to mature in general and can experience issues with not being clearheaded and over arousal when it comes to the bitework portion of the routine. A nice working line GSD is going to be on average a bit more balanced between prey and defense vs primarily prey as in the bully breeds, these guys tend to not translate their aggression towards man so readily. This is all anecdotal based on my experience and speaking with those involved with the bully breed type. The reasonably sized bullies with drive are more suited to weight pull and wall climb sports.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts