Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are a boxing fan, you already know about the big fight on HBO. If you aren't a rabid fan, but like to see good boxing, the HBO Fight between Hatton and Castillo will be a good one. Many boxing analysts think it has the potential to be fight of the year. It's not often a fight of this calibre is not a pay-per-view event.

See ya ringside. (well actually, my easy chair is ringside) but I'll be watching.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Probably worth looking into. I've been a big boxing fan since the old Gillette Cavalcade of Sports back in the 50s.
Trouble is, boxing is loosing ground to MMA, which I love watching now.
Fact is, I'm sitting here watching the UFC finals right now.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Probably worth looking into. I've been a big boxing fan since the old Gillette Cavalcade of Sports back in the 50s.
Trouble is, boxing is loosing ground to MMA, which I love watching now.
Fact is, I'm sitting here watching the UFC finals right now.
I have been a fan since making a lot of $$ on a Sugar Ray Leonard bet. ;)

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I have been a fan since making a lot of $$ on a Sugar Ray Leonard bet. ;)
Saw all his big fights on the big screen at the old Arena. (BPPV) Before Pay for view.
Only thing I disliked about Sugar Ray was, IMHO, he, and everyone else ducked MM Hagler when Hagler was really in his prime.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well, the boy from Manchester did well - nearly cut Castillo in half!! Hope he fights Mayweather.

Loved those old middleweight fights. I have a DVD with all the fights between Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran - those fights were all action.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, the boy from Manchester did well - nearly cut Castillo in half!! Hope he fights Mayweather.

Loved those old middleweight fights. I have a DVD with all the fights between Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran - those fights were all action.
The boy from Manchester did exceedingly well. I honestly thought he would win, I didn't think it would be that easy. I think we saw Castillo age before our eyes. A Mayweather/Hatton fight would be the biggest fight out there. I'd certainly pay to see that.

Hagler got cheated with Leonard ha ha.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
The boy from Manchester did exceedingly well. I honestly thought he would win, I didn't think it would be that easy. I think we saw Castillo age before our eyes. A Mayweather/Hatton fight would be the biggest fight out there. I'd certainly pay to see that.

Hagler got cheated with Leonard ha ha.

DFrost
i read a quote that i think was from bob arum who basically said that mayweather is "retired" right now because he has $20 million in his pocket. he said he spends money like it was going out of style and when his bank account starts to get low, he'll come out of retirement. when he does, he will destroy hatton...

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I think it would be a great fight but, unless they fight, we can only guess at what might happen. Hatton may be out of his league, but many said that before he fough Kostya Tszu......
let's be truthful. tszyu is one of my favorite boxers but he was 36 years old and past his prime. i had to look it up and once i did i didn't realize how long it had been, but do you realize four years had passed between when he beat zab judah and when he lost to hatton? even at 36, it's an old 36. because tszyu's style leaves him open to a lot of shots, at 36 he was pretty much done as a top level fighter. the one punch KO guys can seemingly fight forever. usually power doesn't go with age. tszyu punches in volume. in his prime, it was a rare sight to EVER see him throw one punch. it was always 2, 3, or 4. punching power wasn't his forte. he knocked people out with an accumulation of punches which takes timing and speed. things that deteriorate with age and abuse. don't get me wrong, it was a solid win for hatton, but it doesn't carry nearly as much weight as it would have if he had beaten tszyu in his prime. mayweather would win a lopsided decision over hatton...

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
The only fighters that have successfully come out of any length of retirement with any sort of success are the heavy hitters.
Speed and timing (Sugar Ray Lenard) are the first physical traits to deteriorate. Pure punching power (George Foreman) last much longer.

·
Registered
512 Posts
let's be truthful. tszyu is one of my favorite boxers but he was 36 years old and past his prime. i had to look it up and once i did i didn't realize how long it had been, but do you realize four years had passed between when he beat zab judah and when he lost to hatton? even at 36, it's an old 36. because tszyu's style leaves him open to a lot of shots, at 36 he was pretty much done as a top level fighter. the one punch KO guys can seemingly fight forever. usually power doesn't go with age. tszyu punches in volume. in his prime, it was a rare sight to EVER see him throw one punch. it was always 2, 3, or 4. punching power wasn't his forte. he knocked people out with an accumulation of punches which takes timing and speed. things that deteriorate with age and abuse. don't get me wrong, it was a solid win for hatton, but it doesn't carry nearly as much weight as it would have if he had beaten tszyu in his prime. mayweather would win a lopsided decision over hatton...
I loved Tszyu as well (came across very well outside the ring), and he was past his prime, but most people only 'noticed' this after he lost to Hatton.

If I had to put money on Mayweather v Hatton it would be on Mayweather, but I would not bet very much.

P.S. If it came to an eating contest Hatton would take him easy..... :)

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
i'm sure we'll see this fight at some point. if hatton wins one more time, which will probably be enough time for mayweather to burn through most of his money, then the fight will make too much sense not to make. it would be too much of a big money fight not to happen. probably the last huge money fight for mayweather that's out there...

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think too we'll see a Hatton/Mayweather, but not because of running through his money. He made in excess of 40 million for the De la Hoya fight. I think he truly believes he is the pound for pound champ. We did see Tsu age before our eyes though.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I think too we'll see a Hatton/Mayweather, but not because of running through his money. He made in excess of 40 million for the De la Hoya fight. I think he truly believes he is the pound for pound champ. We did see Tsu age before our eyes though.

DFrost
it was the same guy in the quote i referenced earlier, i think it was arum, but he said that mayweather goes to clubs and throws $100 bills up in the air on the dance floor because he likes to see people jump.

found it. here is the quote:
"He's retired now while he has $20million in the bank," said Arum. "This kid goes into a nightclub, doesn't drink, but orders the most expensive champagne and has piles of hundred-dollar bills which he throws to the crowd because he likes to see them jump.
"Eventually, he'll run out of money and then he'll fight someone. But he's not getting in the ring with anyone while he's still got that pile of dollars."

remember how quickly tyson pissed his money away? i would not surprise me to see this guy burn through most of his money in a year or two...

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's true, Tyson did blow something like 250 million. Maybe I'm just hoping Floyd is smarter than that. I really think he's a pretty good fighter.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That as funny. I won't pay to watch another de la Hoya fight though, at least no with Mayweather. It's bad enough on a pay per view, that you ahve to listen to motormouth merchant.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
That as funny. I won't pay to watch another de la Hoya fight though, at least no with Mayweather. It's bad enough on a pay per view, that you ahve to listen to motormouth merchant.

DFrost
the only thing worse than listening to larry merchant is watching him. that annoying thing he does where he says a sentence, then looks down and then repeats ad nauseam is about the most annoying thing i've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Me thinks he drinks a bit. ha ha.

DFrost

1 - 20 of 40 Posts