Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a strong stomach for the entire spectrum of comedy, see this movie as soon as possible. I finally got out to see it tonight.

Funniest. Movie. Ever. AWESOME!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
He got punched out on the street in NY after hosting SNL. He was still acting like borat and he went up to the wrong dude and got a lesson in NY street etiquitte, LOL. It is funny how he gets the joke in about Barbara Bush in every interview he does.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Al Curbow said:
He got punched out on the street in NY after hosting SNL. He was still acting like borat and he went up to the wrong dude and got a lesson in NY street etiquitte, LOL. It is funny how he gets the joke in about Barbara Bush in every interview he does.
My head hurt after watching this movie from laughing so hard. It's just awesome. Again, not for everybody. But he is just a ridiculously talented comedian. It's completely over the top and just hysterical.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Maybe we can sneak off and see it when we visit my parents for Thanksgiving; we will need a comedic break, though I am not sure I can get past that swimsuit picture I have seen everywhere.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike Schoonbrood said:
If you really have issues with the swimsuit then don't go see the movie :lol:
Yeah, I was about to say...that swimsuit is one of the tamer parts. Let me put it another way: there is a ton of graphic nudity in the movie. All of it is repulsive. You keep on thinking that they're not going to to do this or that, they usually do this or that, repeatedly, and way worse than you could imagine.

HILARIOUS.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just in case you are easily offended...I hate recommending movies and then ending up really upsetting people...here is the ficitional backstory for the main character. If any of this offends you, or you don't find it funny, don't see the movie.

Borat is a reporter, born in 1972 in Kuçzek, Kazakhstan. He is the son of Asimbala Sagdiyev and Boltok the Rapist, who is also his maternal grandfather. He is also the former husband of Oksana Sagdiyev, who was the daughter of Mariam Tuyakbay and Boltok the Rapist. His relationship with his mother seems to be unpleasant, and Borat has commented that "she wishes she was raped by another man." Borat has a sister named Natalya, regarded as the fourth-best prostitute in Kazakhstan, and with whom he often fornicates, and a younger brother named Bilo, who is mentally retarded and must be kept locked behind a metal door or in a cage. In an interview, Borat said, "My brother Bilo has a small head but very strong arms. He have 204 teeth (193 in mouth 11 in nose)! You can do anything to him - he do not remember nothing!"

Borat attended the Astana University, where he studied English, journalism, and plague research. He has been married several times, once to his half-sister's plough. His first wife was Oksana Sagdiyev, another half-sister. She was shot and killed by neighbour Nursultan Tuyakbay, who mistook her for a bear, while accompanying her brother-in-law Bilo on a walk in the forest. Borat was largely unaffected by this event and even celebrated it, as he was able to buy a new wife who he claimed was not boring. He maintains extramarital relations with a girlfriend, a mistress and at least one prostitute. He has three children: 12-year-old Bilak, 12 year-old Biram (whose mother is Borat's sister, Natalya), and 11 year-old Hooeylewis (his favourite child); and seventeen grandchildren. Borat used to have a pet pig, Igor, whom he claims to have loved, although he and his family eventually did eat it, including the eyes. He has had many jobs ranging from ice maker to animal sperm retriever (he claims that rumours of a connection between these jobs are unfounded). He also claims to have previously worked as a Gypsy catcher, boasting that he can "hit a gypsy with a rock from fifteen meters away if chained — ten if not". He also claims that he can carry a woman against her will and has done so, once carrying his future wife for 1600 meters (one mile).

Borat's hobbies [include] ping pong, disco dancing, sunbathing, shooting dogs, and taking pictures of women on the toilet. In addition to being a sexist and a homophobe, Borat is prejudiced against Jews, Uzbeks and Gypsies. Borat has said that he once suffered a "very bad Gypsy attack," in which his wife Oksana Sagdiyev's plough was stolen and "they touch my horse in very bad way; it get depressed for very long time".
I had to clean this up a lot before I posted it. :lol:

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Lord, this was a really "special" movie. I found that just about all the men were all laughing hysterically during the wrestling scene, but I found it a bit too Jackass-esque and a bit too much (though the exagerated censorship bar was very funny). I actually thought a lot of it was more sad than anything if there are folks that still think the way that they do. I've lived in either the south or the midwest my whole life (except about 4 years in Germany when I was younger) and thankfully, I've encountered few folks like that. Anyways, I think it was worth seeing to see and I found a lot of it funny, but the Jackass type stuff wasn't all that funny to me.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maren Bell Jones said:
Lord, this was a really "special" movie. I found that just about all the men were all laughing hysterically during the wrestling scene, but I found it a bit too Jackass-esque and a bit too much (though the exagerated censorship bar was very funny). I actually thought a lot of it was more sad than anything if there are folks that still think the way that they do. I've lived in either the south or the midwest my whole life (except about 4 years in Germany when I was younger) and thankfully, I've encountered few folks like that. Anyways, I think it was worth seeing to see and I found a lot of it funny, but the Jackass type stuff wasn't all that funny to me.
I think that's the part that detracted a bit for me (not the wrestling, that was COMEDY GOLD). Very exaggerated stereotypes, and all the west coast/east coast reviewers are reading into it as a commentary on racial prejudice that's endemic in America. I've traveled a fair bit, I find a lot more inherent (and vocal) racism in different European and Asian cultures than I see, broadly, in middle America. I would like to think that the vast majority of fly-over states have progressed a lot further than people think. If anything, I think a lot of younger viewers would come away a little perplexed by all the anti-Semitic remarks, or at least wondering why the older people in the theater were laughing/gasping so hard.

Man, that wrestling scene. I almost threw up I was laughing so hard. But I think Jackass is awesome. :lol: It's a guy thing, maybe. So horrible to watch. GOLD! I don't wanna give away scenes, but I think my favorite (at this point in time) was Bob Barr and the cheese Borat had him try...I hate Bob Barr... And the scene where he talked about the particular incident where his handicapped brother got out of the cage when his sister was teasing him. The way the comedy coach reacted to that story...laughing as I type here.

Probably obvious that I liked the movie. :lol: I can't help it, a good comedy is my favorite kind of movie, and they're hard to come by anymore. And that was like "Raising Arizona" and "Spinal Tap" and "Waiting for Guffman" and "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" all rolled into one, with a few measures of blood doping and steroids thrown in for good measure.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
woody, if you like it, i MIGHT :lol: however, as 1) much money as i make and 2) as much money as i make, i'll wait til it comes out on DVD, then rent it.

frickin' dog sports are a little spendy :( but worth it, i might add :)

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I've lived in Virginia and Georgia for living in the South (total of 8 years) and Kansas, Nebraska, and Missouri for living in the Midwest (total of ~10 years). Honestly, I think people are actually slightly more racist in the Midwest than the South, oddly enough. I tended to see a lot more Confederate flag bumper stickers and that sort of thing here in "Missour-ah" than when I lived down in the South or the several times I've driven back through it on the way to Nashville or Florida or whatever, for what it's worth. Kind of a similar thing in Nebraska, but no Confederate flags, just areas of the town which are "obviously" one race or the other.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ann freier said:
woody, if you like it, i MIGHT :lol: however, as 1) much money as i make and 2) as much money as i make, i'll wait til it comes out on DVD, then rent it.

frickin' dog sports are a little spendy :( but worth it, i might add :)
Isn't that the truth? This was the first time in a long time my wife and I had got out away from the kids like that...movie was $18, popcorn and cokes another $15 or so, babysitter $12/hr for 4 hours, and a few glasses of wine and an appetizer another $30 or so. It's pathetic when you think about it. I guess it's tacky for me to post this but it's pretty striking when you think about how much it costs to go to a movie and have a nice date night these days.

In this case, TOTALLY WORTH IT! :lol:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Al Curbow said:
Ok Woody, what the hell is that avatar? lol
Just another one of those Sphynx cats. I see those things in my nightmares. That one's like the "Norm from Cheers" of Sphynx cats.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
woody--for all that money, i sincerely hope you got lucky :lol: :lol:

kinda reminds me of a guy i know who considers "dinner & a movie" to be jack's pizza (frozen) and a video. the pathetic part about it is, he's such a talker, that he probably suckered (DON'T GO THERE) about a 1000 women with it. but NOT ME!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ann freier said:
woody--for all that money, i sincerely hope you got lucky :lol: :lol:

kinda reminds me of a guy i know who considers "dinner & a movie" to be jack's pizza (frozen) and a video. the pathetic part about it is, he's such a talker, that he probably suckered (DON'T GO THERE) about a 1000 women with it. but NOT ME!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)
We needed the break. We've been on about a two-month run of ear infections, fluids from both ends, and three-year-olds who think that any object around them is a tantrum-worthy possession. I at the point where I just say, "Yeah kid, it's your earth. All of it. Quit screaming."

It's the kids' college fund, screw 'em.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
woody: any child that makes it from age 3 to age 4 w/out dying, is to me, a MIRACLE!!! w/out all the other.

have you considered dropping them off at the grandparents and making a run for the bahamas (or somewhere w/out U.S. extradition)???

oh- happy, happy thanksgiving!!! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts