Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought 8 wk old BRT pup from vet/ breeder. She is now 4 yrs old. Health problems can be overwhelming. Dry eye, benign cysts under skin many, ear infections common, food allergies. She is professionally bathed every other wk. Full groom monthly, baths at home in between. Short hair cut. Any experience or help w any of these problems. Especially sensitive skin problem?

·
Registered
81 Posts
No experience with these problems myself, but have heard of very good results for some by bathing with a 'tea' made of Calendula flowers (health food stores) and feeding the cooked skins of pumpkin, squash and zuccini and edible plants of that family.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Some people are successful in managing skin and ear infections by switching to grain free food.
Alergy could be coming from inside by digestive irritant or outside by skin irritant.
Frequent bathing and clipping can irritate the condition even more.
I used to have Giant Schnauzer with skin ,ear and cysts problems similar to your dog but didnt know about the grain free stuff back than. Cysts are fairly common in Schnauzer type dogs( some call them schnauzer bumps). They are mostly fine but could become problem towards the end of lifespan.
My BRT currently is holding up pretty good so far at the age of 5 with only one bump that i noticed.
Health problems are all too comon in purebred dogs.
Another factor to consider in my opinion is the way dogs are fed. No meat eating animal ever gets to eat every day in the wild. Skiping one day of eating per week is the healthiest thing possible for human or dog. I was told this by zoo keeper feeding Tasmanian Devils .It is called Autophagy- look it up. Possibly contoversial but some japanese guy got nobel prize for figuring it out.
Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't know about skipping any meals! But try Zymox for the ears, they sell a cleaner, but for the ear infections they sell Otic Enzymatic Solution with 1.0 % Hydrocortisone for Anti-Itch! Zymox also sells a shampoo, line of products = Good Stuff! Altho diet is linked to skin irritation, I have been using Sunday Sundae K9 All Natural Probiotic & Digestive Aid, along with Feed Sentials K9. For food I feed raw, along with Beaver Dam kibble & Nature Logic kibble. Really like the Nature Logic 100% all Natural Whole food Kibble with no synthetics. Good Luck, remember with diet change, probiotics, ect, a dog will go thru a detox period of itching more, but should help to resolve issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts