Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve was trying holding our Tokay gecko with gloves on and he just grabbed a hold. Maybe start doing bite work with him! lol The Gecko held that glove for over an hour! lol Here are a few pictures I took of it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
yeah we have a golden and a bibrons with him. but yeah this thing is a monster and everytime you try to take whatever he has he just clamps harder. glad i had gloves on

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
very cool. i would love to have a reptile if they weren't such a PIA to maintain. i'd love to have a chameleon or maybe one of the bigger ones like a monitor...

·
Registered
705 Posts
actually these guys just need crickets like once a week and water
other than that they just survive real hard to kill

·
Registered
705 Posts
**** no i just put a 100 watt bulb on the top of the tank and they are fine
had them for a year now and they still are good to go

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Oooh, good idea. I should try that with Sheila, my rather ill tempered jungle carpet python. She can be quite a bitch sometimes (there's been several times where she's actually popped her frozen thawed mouse and gotten guts and whatnot in the inside of the feeding tub, eww)...but man, is she lovely.

This is Severus, my anerythristic boa constrictor imperator. True to his name, he bite me good at the reptile show, but I still took him home anyways. He's now a big softie. :mrgreen: I need to get some more pics of him though.

Tim, actually many snakes are very nice pets for the most part. A corn snake is the best to start out with (ball pythons are boring, annoying in their feeding habits, and overrated...IMHO) and they have so many neat color morphs. Some snakes have very strict humidity and temperature requirements that require a lot of monitoring (like green tree pythons), but there's quite a few boids and colubrids which aren't bad at all.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Well, the Columbians (what Severus is) are Boa constrictor imperator and the true red tails are Boa constrictor constrictor, so different subspecies. There's actually no such thing as a Columbia red tail boa, strictly speaking. As pretty as the BCCs are, I don't want a snake that gets too awful much bigger than I am tall (the female BCCs can get 12ish feet long or slightly more). Severus should top out to 6-8 feet. I've warned him if he gets longer, out comes the butcher knife. :twisted:

·
Registered
705 Posts
yeah i had a female that wa right around 12 foot. she was a huge sweetie. i even breed her. i would love another cbc

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my daughter being the girly girl that she is, shocked me when she said she wanted another gecko. I got Steve one a few months ago and then we got the tokay... so we got her the one with the little white spots! We got my daughter to hold a snake at the pet store... I have a picture somewhere

1 - 20 of 29 Posts