Working Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Chris, your wife (or both of you) could always help a team and learn without working a dog, and then start training a dog later. I'm about to be helping and learning in a friend's search team.
I think this is a most excellent idea...especially since you say that your wife is "not the greatest" handler.

This will introduce her to the world of SAR and by being a "victim" she will gain knowledge on how the dogs are not only handled and what their "jobs" are, but she will learn "how" to reward and act around all different dogs.

Then, she can decide is SAR is really what she wants to do without starting a dog, realizing it is not for her, and then having a high drive dog that is "out of work".

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think this is a most excellent idea...especially since you say that your wife is "not the greatest" handler.

This will introduce her to the world of SAR and by being a "victim" she will gain knowledge on how the dogs are not only handled and what their "jobs" are, but she will learn "how" to reward and act around all different dogs.

Then, she can decide is SAR is really what she wants to do without starting a dog, realizing it is not for her, and then having a high drive dog that is "out of work".

Maybe I'll do it with her. Sar would be fun but being the sensitive tough guy that I am, I kinda like the dogs that bite.

She wouldn't be a bad handler she just doesn't know how to do it. She's smart as a whip and understands how to be a leader with the dogs. After all we have six of them and I'm out of town quite a bit working as a musician so she knows how to keep the boys in check.

She's been talking about SAR and I catch her every now and again checking out Jen Coulter's pics after which she laments about wanting a job like that. Not a lot of work for an Avi dog in phoenix but she could do the wilderness thing as we used to do lots of that stuff before football busted me up pretty good.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Hey Chris,

If you want to PM me your email addy, I can send them to my contacts in the Phoenix area for you....sounds like you already have contacts though???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seen some great spaniels in the SAR field.....and yes, they do have a slight edge to them...LOL

Any good retriever would work well too.

Just get a Dutchie Chris...you know you want to....:D

And of course, I will always support the use of hounds.
I hope she is joking about the Dutchie, lol they tend to be a handful for new handlers. The bite work would not concern me IF the bite work was done correctly and focused more towards sports where the dogs focus more on equipment rather than not caring about the sleeve and focused on the decoy his/her self.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts