Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
I am interested in what others (and Will if you can let on Al) have said about this. I want to get my puppy involved in ringsport. Right now our club only has the the jacket portion of the suit but I am hoping to purchase the pants in the near future.

In preparation, We have been using Euro Joe synthetic arm and leg sleeves for the puppy so that he can get a feel for that sort of material. My older male who was started on jute and only did Schutzhund (so no leg bites) will bite a french linen sleeve but won't bite the leg sleeve. Granted, he is not a hard hitting dog so it might just be his limitations as a sport dog but I wanted to make sure I got the puppy on a leg sleeve as soon as I could so as to imprint that behavior. So far, the puppy has had no problem with leg bites :p

· Registered
111 Posts
Thanks Selena!

We are basically a Schutzhund group so bite suit stuff is all new to us. My pup is only 8 months old and is an ACD so the development is slower (at least in my experience). Right now we are posting him while the helper has the leg sleeve on and building frustration with misses and allowing him to \"get it\" and grip the leg sleeve. Do some pressure with moves like bending over him and body densitization type stuff. Also put back pressure on him while he does the bite.

I guess I would basically sum up what we are doing is beginning prey bitework that we would do with an arm sleeve but using a leg sleeve instead. I am sure that this is not necessarily the correct route so I would love to hear other's advice etc on what we could be doing to help him along :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.