Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It used to be when you checked your dog as excess baggage, you had to have the claim ticket to retrieve him at the destination airport. Not anymore. They off load the dogs and stick them in the corner of the same room as the baggage carousels. When I went to pick up Arkane in Oklahoma City, one of the sky caps had his crate on a cart and was walking out with my dog and some woman. I walked up and told the bitch it was my dog & she said "oh I thought it was mine" and disappeared. Interestingly enough, there were no other dogs on the flight. I asked the sky cap if anyone verifies ownership or checks the claim tickets and he said no. It is the same now in just about every airport, even big ones like Los Angeles International. I have spoken to others who have had the same experience as mine. Even if it's a case of mistaken identity, if she had left with my dog, my dog would have bolted the minute she opened the crate. If you fly with your dog be sure to verify the dog makes it onto the plane & connecting planes before the plane takes off so you can get off if you have to. Once you land at your final destination go directly to where ever the airline off loads excess baggage so you can get your dog (before someone else takes a liking to him).

Lastly, when you check your dog in you will have to take him out of the crate for inspection before you can check him in. Be sure and bring zip ties to the airport so that when you put the dog back in the crate you can zip tie and secure the door in all four corners so no one can easily open the door allowing your dog to escape!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Thanks for the info Susan. Glad the lady did not make off with your dog, to bad she could not be detained to find out the real story. As crate aggressive as my bitch is, I doubt if anyone (without experience) in their right mind would want to go anywhere near her crate, but hey ya never know. If I can't drive there.....we ain't going. I know driving is not always possible for some:(

·
Registered
382 Posts
Wow, that is a scary thought. I pretty much drive everywhere I go (having 3 dogs and all..) but I have thought more than once about flying home to Texas this summer with my puppy. Don't think I will be doing that....

·
Registered
705 Posts
That is creepy i would have probally done alot more than say what you did. lol lace if anyone ever tries to take coda i wanna see a video of that. and the er report

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would be like um, if you are taking my dog you owe me some money!! She isn't cheap!

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One person told me how the rottie he checked in did not make it on the flight, so he got off to investigate. They found the dog in a rarely used freight elevator in a different terminal. The only explanation is a baggage handler must have taken a real liking to the dog.

Flying is sometimes the only way to get where you are going. You just have to be very very very protective of your dogs & cover all the bases.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thats why I hate shipping dogs. I had an entire litter get "accidently" picked up in dallas on their way to me from Georgia. When I got to the airport they said there was no live cargo on the flight, and I hit the roof. Susposedly someone else was picking up 12 german shepherd puppies that were on the same flight. Sounded very fishy to me. What airline was it by the way?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thats why I hate shipping dogs. I had an entire litter get "accidently" picked up in dallas on their way to me from Georgia. When I got to the airport they said there was no live cargo on the flight, and I hit the roof. Susposedly someone else was picking up 12 german shepherd puppies that were on the same flight. Sounded very fishy to me. What airline was it by the way?
OMG, so what happened?

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This time I was flying Frontier, but I think the policy of not verifing ownership is an industry wide problem. I know others have had the same situation with other carriers. Come to think of it, when I got my dog from the Netherlands 15 years ago I don't remember having to show any documentation at all to the Delta Air Cargo folks either. What airline were those pups shipped on? This is ridiculous. I made a pretty big stink about it when I got into LAX this time (they didn't check either), but maybe there is something more I can do.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Delta Air Cargo. What ended up hapening was that they found that the ladies litter had missed the flight. Right and she didnt know and so thought they were hers. I guess they caught the mistake as they were loading them in the back of her truck. They called and found out the dogs were mine and not hers and from what the lady in dallas said she didnt even stick around to ask when her dogs were coming in. People are shady. We got them just three hours later than expected.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I had to show a picture ID (Drivers License) when I picked Zane up at Delta Air Cargo here a couple of months back....maybe at least Delta got their sh*t together now:)

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
this kinda scares the piss out of me. when we went to omaha to get brix, he was just in luggage, in his crate, anyone could've walked up and picked him up!!
we didn't know where he was at first, and personnel weren't really interested in helping us find him either (delta).
thanks for the heads up in flying dogs--i never really thought about it before....but i will now!

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Wow...I had heard such good things about Delta for shipping dogs! Anyone tried Midwest Airlines? I'm still contemplating flying the pup from Kadi's litter in the cabin (in a soft sided carrier no less, yikes!), but it's a 3.5 hour flight from LAX to Kansas City non-stop, which is a long time for young Mal puppy to be non-violent and unobtrusive in a soft sided Sherpa-style carrier.

Edit to add: Midwest Airlines just started a new program where if you take 3 round trip flights with your pet (or 6 one ways), the 4th round trip is free for the pet. Pretty cool for the jet setter crowd.

http://www.midwestairlines.com/MAWeb/assets/pdfs/premierPetBrochure.pdf

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Wow...I had heard such good things about Delta for shipping dogs! Anyone tried Midwest Airlines? I'm still contemplating flying the pup from Kadi's litter in the cabin (in a soft sided carrier no less, yikes!), but it's a 3.5 hour flight from LAX to Kansas City non-stop, which is a long time for young Mal puppy to be non-violent and unobtrusive in a soft sided Sherpa-style carrier.
People in our club always say good stuff about Delta.

I'm definitely bringing up this thread tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Delta IS good, I think this flaw is in the industry in general. Kadi says they asked her for ID the last time she picked up a dog, so hopefully if enough of us complain the rest of the airlines will follow suit. Other than this one thing (which is kind of a big deal), Frontier was great for both my dog and me.

·
Banned
101 Posts
heh, yep. There are scumbags like that everwhere. I probably would have kneed her as there could be no possible mix up, even with any of my past dogs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I fly dogs in the US,I exclusively use Continental Quik Pak. I have used them for many many years and I have always been required to show photo ID before taking possession of a dog.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Back in August I had to show ID when I picked up my dog from Delta. I thought they were OK, I remember them not really knowing where my dog was which was disconcerting considering he was over at 1 1/2 late when I asked. He ending up coming about 2 hours late. I am probably complaining too much since airlines are never on time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts