Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in a few weeks, me and DH will be buying a house. Still narrowing down the options, but many of them do not have fenced in yards and I am chomping at the bit for one. Most of the lots are like 80x150, give or take a little either way. Though it should be permanent, having a huge cool custom fencing job will have to wait. Few if any of the places we are looking seem to have restrictions on type or height (chain link vs. wood privacy, etc). The dogs will not be out unsupervised except quick potty breaks. Keeping in mind that in 4 years, it will need to be sold ASAP when I'm done with vet school, any suggestions for cost vs. return on investment?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Chain link is a tear-down to many potential buyers because of the looks, I think.

Is bamboo as hot there as it is here? It's sustainable, varied in color and looks, cheap, tons of styles, rolls or custom, etc., etc.

My neighbor did 6' fencing for about $70 per 10-foot section (plus the basic frame, which they did themselves).

I haven't used it myself, so this is second-hand, but her fence looks nice.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, I should just hire Bob out. He's not all that far away. :)

Actually, if we do chain link, on several of the properties, there are neighbors who keep a rather junky backyard, so I was thinking of clumping live bamboo (not runner bamboo, as it is impossible to control how it spreads) as a screen as it grows super fast. I've heard the bamboo panels are pretty hot on the coasts, but not sure if they've hit Mizzurah yet. Will check out Lowe's or Home Depot.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I got my 6' privacy panels for free and the 4' chainlink for $25 at a thrift sale :) On the property appraisal, the fencing added $500 to my homes value, but I am sure it would turn off potential buyers if we were to sell.

If I was doing it over - just for a potty yard, I'd get 3 sides (not the gate side) of a pre-fab chainlink kennel and put the narrow end where the gate would normally be against the house - at a door. It's just too easy. My privacy panels are like this. I love it. I say "go potty" my dogs charge the back door, I open it they go out and do their business, come back in and then I go out and pick it up. How simple is that?!

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I got my 6' privacy panels for free and the 4' chainlink for $25 at a thrift sale :) On the property appraisal, the fencing added $500 to my homes value, but I am sure it would turn off potential buyers if we were to sell.

If I was doing it over - just for a potty yard, I'd get 3 sides (not the gate side) of a pre-fab chainlink kennel and put the narrow end where the gate would normally be against the house - at a door. It's just too easy. My privacy panels are like this. I love it. I say "go potty" my dogs charge the back door, I open it they go out and do their business, come back in and then I go out and pick it up. How simple is that?!
Is a privacy panel what it sounds like..... a section of the chain-link fencing that is covered with a solid panel?

The no-gate potty yard --- how do people get outside that door? (I'm picturing a door that opens into a no-gate enclosure.... ?)

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Privacy panel - the wooden fence with no or small gaps between the boards.

And yes. My current "potty yard" has a gate that I haven't used for a year.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've got the vinyl coated chain link (black) 5' high, it looks nice and will last forever, i fenced in a 180'x70' backyard with 2 gates and i couldn't imagine living without it now that i've had it for 3 years. A nice fenced in area definitely raises the value of a home,
AL

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I've got the vinyl coated chain link (black) 5' high, it looks nice and will last forever, i fenced in a 180'x70' backyard with 2 gates and i couldn't imagine living without it now that i've had it for 3 years. A nice fenced in area definitely raises the value of a home,
AL

Oh, black vinyl sounds VERY nice. I haven't seen vinyl-coated chain link.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Al, what was the pricing of the coated chain link compared to a wood privacy fence? I've actually wanted some myself. There is some around the playground at the church I do childcare at that's done in green and it doesn't look too bad. If I get one of the houses we are considering, I'd probably prefer the chain link as it's mostly heavily wooded and it would be helpful to have a few pygmy goats keep it trimmed. Chain link is apparently the best for goats. Wood is too chewable. Otherwise, I think we'll try the wood privacy fencing or the bamboo fencing if it is tough enough for the dogs. If we get a few chickens, privacy fencing would probably be best as to not tempt any neighborhood dogs.

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Unless you do it yourself, the privacy fence can be pretty expensive. I do like the idea of the vinyl covered chainlink though. If you go with chainlink be sure you get a heavy grade wire. Some of the stuff sold now is to lightweight and could be pulled apart by an energetic dog.
My house that I'm now in has a small backyard with PVC privacy fence all around. The fella I bought the house from said he put 7 grand in the fence. :-o

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Maren, i didn't price out the wood fencing, i saw the vinyl coated and just went with it. you can save cash doing a lot of the work yourself but it won't come out the same as when the people who put them up everyday do it. They dug the holes and set the post one day and it took them 5 hrs to finish the next day, instant off leash dog area!,
AL

·
Registered
331 Posts
Maren,
Something inexpensive and relatively easy to install/tear down would be to use t-posts and attach cattle panels. Cattle panels can be purchased at a Farm supply store in 16 feet panels, they are heavy duty which is a plus and actually don't look bad either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts