Working Dog Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Morning Mo,
Thanks for the advice. I will certainly crate training her especially while we are asleep at night. Don't want see torn sofas and things like that. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Colin, in addition to crate training I would also tether the dog to you when it's out of it's crate. This keeps the dog with you and easier to keep you eye on it. It's also a great way to bond with the dog and teach the dog that you are the leader. Being tetherd to you, it goes when you go, stays where you stay, etc. without a lot of commanding. It just happens!
Remember pups don't make mistakes on their own. We allow them to happen because we're not paying attention.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I tether with either a 4' or 6' lead hooked to my waist or belt. The pup is then with me wherever I go and cannot get out of my sight. Any behaviors I want are rewarded, negatives are ignored or redirected to something that is acceptable.

I like tethering because of that AND the fact that the pup soon learns to follow or walk beside me without getting in the way. Proper heel position is rewarded. It also provides a chance to work on obedience stuff throughout the day. I wear a bait bag or keep food in my pocket.

If I am going to be doing something that the dog cannot be tethered, then they go in the crate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Neil, more about the individual dog than breed. But for PP, few malinois match the power and presence of a really good GSD I think.
I have owned and trained both Mals, MX and GSD for police, military and protection over my 40 year career. All that being said, some Mals can be suited for PP as can the Mal/GSD mixes as well as the GSDs. I must say this not every dog of any breed is suitable for every situation or handler. I have seen plenty of police & military handlers that are not capable of working the dogs they are given. Mals typically have extreme drives and energy. Those maybe too much for a normal PP dog. Seek out someone with a good and long history training and selling Mals. Be honest even to yourself what you actually need and the level of dog you need and can handle. This also applies to your spouse and the dog’s nature and drive levels around your children. I venture to say that the majority of people wanting a PP dog of any breed don’t need a dog that will actually engage a person straight out. One that puts up a good front, will do some basic bite work and is very obedient usually is all they actually need. Also, consider the needs of the dog a high energy dog like a typical Mal is going to require LOTS of exercise and of course not suited for someone with limited time. Also, remember a dog is not a offensive tool you have to understand that you will also need to conduct proficiency training with the dog at least monthly. Beware of any breed Mals especially that are very defensive in nature French bred Mal can have this tendency as do AKC dogs. BECAREFUL what you ask for you may end up with more than you or your situation can deal with.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts