Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
As a PPD I will not comment, although I have seen some great ones and not so great ones.....

But as far as an all-around, willing to please thier handler working dog, I LOVE them.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hiya Neil,

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps I shouldn't post on this thread, as I don't own a Malinois. However, the Malinois that I've seen in real life training and situations have been mixed, from excellent to dreadful.

But I think that can be the case with many breeds.

Some describe the Malinois as "always on pins", almost nervous in it's behaviour and as such makes a good protection dog. This can also backfire, with a dog that 'alerts' to everyone and everything without prioritising or categorising.

I've worked with the German polizei who primarily use Malinois as service dogs and it was quite easy to see how they could be used in personal protection situations/everyday life with some great confidence on your part.

I'd certainly not count out a Malinois as my next dog, I'm just hoping a get a good decade out of my GSD.

How do you find your own Malinois performs? Is it your first Mali?

Best Regards,
Gary

ps: I like the Oketz badge ;)

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
I'll admit to being biased, but IMO the Malinois is the Ferrari of the working dog \\:D/ that said, not everyone can drive a Ferrari, or even wants to. Some people might like a 4x4 Truck instead, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I think like any other breed, you can find the exceptional, the good, and the horrible. The biggest issue I would see with a Malinois as a PPD for the average home would be their ability to live with the dog, as a Malinois can be a lot of dog (energy) for someone who mainly wants a dog to protect when needed, and just hang out the rest of the time. If someone is looking for a PPD who they want to train on a regular basis, spend a lot of time with, take hiking, or otherwise have an active lifestyle with the Malinois might be the right breed for them. But if they are looking for a dog they put 3 months of training in to, then maybe once a year go do some refresher training and otherwise the dog just hangs out around the house, they may have a hard time finding a Malinois that would be suitable, or that they would be happy with.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Depends on practicality or performance. In performance, I don't think there is much question they are certainily capable of performing the job. But from what I've read from you all, deterrance is a big part of practicality in PPDs. On the deterrant side, a Rottweiler, Doberman, German shepherd (or perhaps even a husky or Malamute, in my experience) even from a shelter or show breeder with not a lick of working drive or ability will have more of a presence than even the best trained Malinois. I'd even say a Dutch shepherd would out rank a Mal just on looks because something about the brindle makes people more wary. So even though Malinois are often very talented dogs in many venues, they can be difficult to live with with how much mental and physical exercise they require and they (IMHO) don't have quite the deterrance factor that other breeds have. So maybe us Malinois owners are just gluttons for punishment. \\:D/

·
Registered
930 Posts
Depends on practicality or performance. In performance, I don't think there is much question they are certainily capable of performing the job. But from what I've read from you all, deterrance is a big part of practicality in PPDs. On the deterrant side, a Rottweiler, Doberman, German shepherd (or perhaps even a husky or Malamute, in my experience) even from a shelter or show breeder with not a lick of working drive or ability will have more of a presence than even the best trained Malinois. I'd even say a Dutch shepherd would out rank a Mal just on looks because something about the brindle makes people more wary. So even though Malinois are often very talented dogs in many venues, they can be difficult to live with with how much mental and physical exercise they require and they (IMHO) don't have quite the deterrance factor that other breeds have. So maybe us Malinois owners are just gluttons for punishment. \\:D/
Superb post. =D>

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a 35 lb black Aussie that I'd love to do PP work with her. She will do a search and alert, bark on command and does a great vehicle guard. However, she would be most effective at night (in stealth mode) becase in the daylight any intruder would simply die laughing at her size.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Yeah....I agree....between your profile pic and Gary's profile pic....I would tend to stay away from Gary more than you Maren....:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my first Malionois. I absolutely love him and he is producing great results for me. I own a security company and he comes to call-outs with me all the time. He is a great detterent and has had one live bite. I do not want to put him into a bad sitaution yet as he is only 16 months and still has allot of training to do. I find him to be good at protection training and use real life scenarios all the time. He works with multiple helpers and shows great courage and intensity. So to sum up I am finding him great and will always have a Malinois as my first choice

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I first got my Mally he was really full of energy and quite a shock to my system. But as time has gone by we have both adapted to eachother. I suppose I am lucky because he works with me day and night and there is always some action, which keeps him interested. I do protection training 3 times a week with him and walk everyday. He displays no aggression in public until prompted to by me or if he can see threatening behaviour being displayed towrds me. He is an absolute pleasure to accompany me everywhere. I have a 4 year old girl and a baby. He loves my four year old and plays gently with her. The baby he just avoids all the time. He will walk into my room, see her and turn around immediately..It is quite funny. I think he is a great PPD but as mentioned these dogs are not for everyone and always need to be working.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I was trying to get other opinions on the subject as this is my first Mal
that's obvious but shouldn't you have done that BEFORE you bought the dog?

Nah, I had tons of questions after I got my first one....and I had researched and also helped with and handled quite a few with a few different Master Trainers, before I decided to get one.

Nothing wrong with wondering at all.......now there is 3 mals living with me.....:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
930 Posts
that's obvious but shouldn't you have done that BEFORE you bought the dog?
Let's be right thought Chris - the man might be considering another dog, or he might be facing some problems with his current dog and wants to sort things..

Or even, perhaps his dog was bought as a pet or a sport dog and now he's training it in PP and wants some opinions..

I don't think we need to shoot the messenger (thread starter) for this one..

Gary

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Let's be right thought Chris - the man might be considering another dog, or he might be facing some problems with his current dog and wants to sort things..

Or even, perhaps his dog was bought as a pet or a sport dog and now he's training it in PP and wants some opinions..

I don't think we need to shoot the messenger (thread starter) for this one..

Gary

I understand but this is how high drive dogs end up at the humane society because people failed to do the research first.

I think the poster would have been more forthright in saying, I have a mal and I want to train him for PP why do you guys think etc...

I personally felt a little duped in thinking that he was THINKING about getting a dog for PP and was considering a Mal. Judging by some of the other responses, they thought the same as me.

In the end, no harm done. He's got a cool dog and we all know a good Mal is arguably the best working dog in the world.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did research the Maly before I got one. I was just trying to find out if others may have had some good or bad points about the Mal as a PPD. I have noticed while reading through many posts on this site that some people become quite beligerent with one another, and I am picking up that tone ....why ? Can't people just discuss the topic and not look for arguments ?

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I did research the Maly before I got one. I was just trying to find out if others may have had some good or bad points about the Mal as a PPD. I have noticed while reading through many posts on this site that some people become quite beligerent with one another, and I am picking up that tone ....why ? Can't people just discuss the topic and not look for arguments ?
Hi Neil - Someone more eloquent than I may be able to explain this better. I think dogs are a very passionate subject to most of the people on this site. Added to that there are many different opinions on the same subject.

Plus, even though we use real names here, most people don't really know who the hell we are.

Sometimes that results in conversations that probably wouldn't take place if people were talking in person.

OR if it did take place in person it would end up in a fist fight. :p

·
Registered
471 Posts
Neil, more about the individual dog than breed. But for PP, few malinois match the power and presence of a really good GSD I think.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts