Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a 5 month old Malinois that’s absolutely amazing with me but uses growling, barking and snapping to hide his fear/discomfort towards guests in my home. I’ve had him two weeks on Sunday. I’m worried this might not be something that goes away. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should correct this behavior correctly?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is your reaction when he does this? Have him on a leash when people come over so you can just turn and walk the other way into another room. Then like the other comment said, keep him busy when you bring him back into the guests proximity. When he barks and all that at a guest if you are petting him to calm him or talking to him to try and soothe him you are sending him the message that he is acting the correct way and the behavior will continue. Thats why its important to show no reaction and just redirect and walk him the other way. He'll learn that you are not bothered by the situation and he doesn't need to be.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
It could be maged with training as two previous posts described. It has most to do with genetics of a dog. Some dogs just dont like people they dont know and that is not neccessarily a bad thing for guard dog breed in working situation, especialy on the territory their job is to protect. Hopefuly his defense thresholds increase as he matures but it is very common practice to keep your mal crated or muzzled when around people. How was he bred (parents temperament), and how was he selected as suitable temperament puppy for your specific environment?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts