Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have too much time on my hands today..

I would like to ask when "begging, i.e. raisng of the front paws in front of the helper" came into force. I remember Elmar Mannes complaining about our instructor's dog but then I saw some of elmar's dogs do it.

This never used to be the case.

Can someone explain it?

·
Registered
964 Posts
I think I have too much time on my hands today..

I would like to ask when "begging, i.e. raisng of the front paws in front of the helper" came into force. I remember Elmar Mannes complaining about our instructor's dog but then I saw some of elmar's dogs do it.

This never used to be the case.

Can someone explain it?
You mean like, standing up on the hind legs and holding it? Or just bouncing?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Possibly stronger prey drives or just more tapped into from the foundation? or more of a willingness to engage the helper? my dog will bark in helpers face front legs off the ground as will others i train with..does this show dominance and an attitude of im boss and gunna bite ya ass? from the article you posted elmars dogs were not trained in prey back in his early days.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Possibly stronger prey drives or just more tapped into from the foundation? or more of a willingness to engage the helper? my dog will bark in helpers face front legs off the ground as will others i train with..does this show dominance and an attitude of im boss and gunna bite ya ass? from the article you posted elmars dogs were not trained in prey back in his early days.
I've seen dogs that wanna stand up and bark in your face bc "F you MF'er, I want your face" and ones that seem more "beggy". Never seen either trained or taught intentionally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts