Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, things look differently!

Haven't been on the board in some time. I recently retired last December after 30 years on the job. My last K9 partner, Bodie retired with me. He did 8 years on the road and was pushing 10 ears old at retirement. Mentally and physically he looks/acts like he's 4 or 5. He's a Mali/GSD and was very successful on the road. I put quite a bit of extra work into Bodie over his working career which kept me very busy. At some point I had to change computers etc and lost my logins for this site. Finally got around to getting back in. Good to see some of the familiar faces still here. Now that I'm retired I should be dropping in a little more. Thought about pulling a David Frost but I just can't do it. :)

Now.....I have to learn my way around and see he pulled my rank if I don't have it anymore. :) No biggie either way. :)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To learn who David Frost is you gotta go waaaay back to the beginning of this site.

Hi Kirsten. Thanks.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I just saw a random email from this forum with your name at the top of the email...so I had to open it and see whats up. Congrats on your retirement Howard! Your story mirrors mine. My boy Kato had an amazing career, keeping both he and I alive many times. He's turning 10 this September and sounds like your boy Bodie. Acts like he's still 3, except he stops moving to sleep occasionally now. He'll be my last working dog. Definitely bitter sweet, so I try not to think about it. Anyways, good to read your post

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Brian. Good to hear from you. :) When do you retire? Will you work Kato until then? My goal was to retire with a leash in my hand and that's what I did. Very satisfying.

·
Registered
934 Posts
We already retired on his birthday, last September, due to injuries we both sustained over the years. He's had a few bumps and bruises, but a weird vehicle extraction messed him up when he was 6. He was out for almost 6 months. I immediately knew he was hurt because he was holding the bite like he was competing in Schutzhund or something, quiet and calm, instead of the usual Tasmanian devil on crack. He truly enjoyed the fight, so him not fighting like someone just insulted his mom was alarming. Anyways, I'm looking for quality for the remainder of his life. Worked right up until then, but I don't think he got the memo. We still do a little training here and there when we're not travelling, and I still train other dogs mostly for PMCs for fun.
DSCN0104.JPG
The pic is us hiking along the Gros Ventre River towards the Tetons, which you can kind of see in the background. 9 years old. Glacier National Park is next on the list in a few weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts