Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my last three foster dogs have been pretty hellacious in regards to crate training: one Rottie mix who barked and howled until 4 AM and finally figured out how to break out, one Weimaraner would would chew his face into hamburger on the crate door to get out, and the current is a "Alaskan Malamute/German shepherd mix" that I think it is just a cream colored GSD who howls (and who has now made my neighbors mad at me because of his howling). I bought a Tri Tronics Bark Limiter collar and it doesn't seem to work so much for howling except at maybe at level 5, the highest level of stimulation. Besides getting a regular e-collar and manually correcting them, any suggestions for products for howling?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I can tell you for a fact that the Innotek BC-200 will work for howling (and whining, and barking, too). I'm wondering, though, if you are putting the one you have on snugly enough. I've never felt the levels of the Tri-Tronics collar, but I would think he should be able to feel it before it got to the highest level. If he's throwing his head back to howl, it could be that that's making the collar loose enough so that the probes cannot make good contact. If his fur is thick, you might shave it down a bit on his neck.

Or just use a remote collar, like I do.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will stop his barking at like level 3, but he'll still whine and howl except level 5. I've got the collar snug and pretty high up on his neck as he does have a pretty thick coat. Last night, he finally started to yelp when he howled, so that made it stop. I'm taking him back to the shelter today though as in between the 20 minutes when my husband left for work and when I got up to take a shower, he had totally destroyed a set of mini blinds. I have got a terrible cold that's maybe turning into a sinus infection and just not in the mood to deal with him. I also better run to Lowe's to go get replacement mini blinds before the landlord finds out. I hope they are relatively easy to install... *grumble grumble* He's a great looking dog, but he's being a serious PITA. It is difficult to exercise a young dog as much as they need when the high temp is like 15 degrees.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Mini blinds are relatively easy to install; you might be able to use the existing brackets and just slide the new blinds into them, which would be the SUPER easy method!

He is a gorgeous dog, btw!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts