Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm not very interested in the "intelligence thread" but this i agreed with a LOT and wondered what others have to say :

"As far as feeding on schedule…. there are certain things I adhere to and virtually without deviation but feeding times isn't one of them. Sometimes they get fed 3-5 very small meals in a day, sometimes I fast them, but even when I feed once or twice a day the feeding times are never the same. I think dogs get a little weird (needy) when certain things become too routine."

i've always found it better to build a bond by being a food provider rather than be a food server.
- my dogs and cats never know when their next meal might be coming or what they might have to do to get it, but i think it makes em much more "appreciative" of my role in their lives :)
- guess that also makes me a bit of a control freak //lol//
....guilty, so i also try and explain to my non dog friends that i don't think my dogs and cats "love" me //lol//

i think variety is the spice of life and that it applies to dogs and cats too even tho it is a PITA sometimes for me

in my experience with pet people they tend to believe a dog is better off and more easily managed when it has a routine to follow
…but i have also heard this philosophy supported by the working dog crowd too

not just for food, but other activities as well

**feel free to include bite work and tracking….don’t mean for this to be a pet thread :)

don't care what your experience level is ... just your opinion and why you have it

yes … no ??
what works for you ??
not important ??

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Bob said:

When it's feeding time here (three times a day) my older GSD starts banging his stainless steel bowl against the sliding glass door if I'm late.
I'm like Bob in that my dogs know when it's feeding time (6:00 AM and 4:00 PM) and they get pushy, start banging dishes, stuff like that. Arkane will start vocalizing and gets louder with progressively weirder sounds. I actually enjoy it, part of the give and take, since they're at my beck and call (and mercy) for pretty much everything else, I don't mind paying them with a regular feeding time.

·
Administrator
3,666 Posts
Feeding schedule: Whenever I get to it. To include a random fast, and sharing a morsel of my food at unexpected times.

Training: Random times, locations (even at home), and exercises except on Wednesdays. We always train on Wed. but change venues on the regular.

Tracking: Could be anytime, any place. With, or without a bite.

Also...sometimes a ride in the car is just a ride in the car. :) The dog is pretty much programmed when he's in the work vehicle but he also rides in our personal vehicles. He knows the difference though. In our POVs he just hangs out. In the work vehicle he feels the need to bark at everyone.

A PSD doesn't benefit from routines. Nothing is static or routine about their job. Yes, in the early stages there is a routine but once operational they get all kinds of weird crap thrown at them. Seen many a patrol dog perform great on the regular training field but be kinda clueless in real world enviroments. If your dog is not expected to perform anywhere but a training field then I guess a routine isn't a bad thing.

A thought provoking question though. Oughta get some responses and personal insight from members.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
When I am in a routine, like Monday to Friday, the dogs are fed on a schedule as part of that routine. There may be some variation in time, especially for the evening meal, but I don't really mix it up a whole lot.

On the weekends, there is more flexibility. I sleep in. Sometimes we go to the park and stay longer than usual, or I run errands on the way home. If I am going to run them in the morning, they will only get a small snack and then breakfast later in the morning. They may get something at lunch as a treat, then a smaller dinner.

I never fast my dogs. A meal might be late, but it's never skipped.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
When I am in a routine, like Monday to Friday, the dogs are fed on a schedule as part of that routine. There may be some variation in time, especially for the evening meal, but I don't really mix it up a whole lot.

On the weekends, there is more flexibility. I sleep in. Sometimes we go to the park and stay longer than usual, or I run errands on the way home. If I am going to run them in the morning, they will only get a small snack and then breakfast later in the morning. They may get something at lunch as a treat, then a smaller dinner.

I never fast my dogs. A meal might be late, but it's never skipped.
I never skip a meal unless warranted by travel or Training.

My old Buster's stomach starts rumbling very loudly if the meal is late.

Whilst we were training, meals were more erratc.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re : this part ..... "just your opinion and why you have it"

tbh, i'm much more interested in the "WHY" perspective, not the way you do things in your daily life with your dog(s)

guess i shoulda put that word in bold letters (but i don't know how) //lol//

fwiw, i don't think "because it works for me" is a complete "why" answer :)

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I have no idea about this stuff. I fill thier bowl up in the morning and once or twice during the day when it gets to the half way mark.

That way it doesn't get too much spit on it so I only have to wash it once a day.

The old lady tries feeding them dog yummies once in a while but I know immediately because it gives the Lab the shits. I tell her if she wants to give it to them then she can clean the pudding crap up.

In other words I free feed with Costco brand and none are fat. That's probably because they are bored out of their minds eating the same shit 365 days a year for life.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
i have a rick question.

notice i can type the same way as rick.

do u ever sleep?

you seem to post or start threads 24 hours a day.☺

I really enjoy the fact that you seem like you never met a thread you didn't like.☺

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Why do I feed this way? It's convenient for me. I think my dogs like the routine. Things happen in a somewhat predictable pattern for them, so they know what to expect. They can roll with it when things are mixed up a bit, but for the most part, my life is revolves around having a 9-5 job, so their lives do, too.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Lots of variety for us. In feeding (what, when, how). Exercise (swimming, agility, walking, biking). Training (not much formal "field" ob, but trying to do lots of formal OB in different places (e.g. in a chunk after lunch during a wilderness hike; while pushing a shopping cart across a parking lot, in children's playgrounds, in a boat on a lake), because I can work it in throughout our day that way, and it makes things interesting and there is so much great variety in environment and stuff to try out, different distractions, etc.). I think it keeps my dog engaged to never be certain of what is around the corner. She is curious and likes to explore, so there are many ways to do that.

I think "autopilot" is the kiss of death for human awareness. The older I get, the more I value paying attention to the great and the small all around us, lots of little experiences each day that I am grateful to be alive to see/feel/smell/taste/ hear.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I used to have a random day of fast for all my dogs but for now one dog can't afford to miss a meal without his meds.

That's because my dogs are together 24/7 and I wont feed one and not the other but I do randomly cut back just a bit on the dog with no issues.

Yes they have a schedule that the one dog is completely aware of BUT it's not necessarily at the very same time ever day.

It can vary an hour or two for the first meal of the day but I want 6 hrs between each meal for digestion and the one dog is still very much in sync with that 6hr schedule. How he does that I have NO idea but he does. I do believe a dog's internal clock is much better then the average humans.

The second dog doesn't seem to "get it" and only responds when #1 starts letting me know it time.

Of course they are both very aware of the timer going off in the kitchen after the food sets for the required 20 mins. It took 2-3 meals of marker training to stop the #2 dog from slamming his whole body against the sliding glass door when the bell goes off. :-o :grin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts