Working Dog Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

· Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I know you are big in Pike,but compare Pike/Asko today.

What would you like me to compare?

I even started this thread in hopes to obtain enough information to guide me towards Asko as a potential cross to my linebred Pike dogs (in due time). What is the problem with questioning you? Understand that I do not accept things, just because you or some other guy says so... It must make sense.

Here's something about me:

Believe nothing in what I hear and only half of what I see.

Thanks for your time.

· Registered
368 Posts
I have no first hand experience with Asko

All my girls are have Asko somewhere in the lines.
First one is Kessy von der Grube Waldecke, a grand daughter to Asko, and a grand daughter to Troll von der Boesen Nachbarschaft.
She was very tough and intelligent, independent. not too much prey drive but lots of defense drives, came to herself and peak in work with about 2- 3 yrs old. Tough and determined in all her doings. Though people who knew Troll and saw her- were more inclined to call her a "typical" Troll!!!

I have kept a few of her offspring, they all are tough and determined, combined with high intelligence. Her one daughter is a copy of her temperament wise ,but looks the total opposite. All offspring from her are intelligent and all capable of working hard and determined.

Two of my other dogs, go back to Asko son Yago von der Belferlein, one daughter of Yago, one Grand daughter. I like them, and all the dogs I have met out of Yago.
Hard workers and all intelligent.
As to the maturity thing, It may be just my point of view, but I call them late bloomers. Not because they are slow, no -exactly the opposite,because they are very intelligent.
The tendency for them to give it their all early on, makes them easy to train, but can easily get overload. They are busy in their heads, and it takes some time to get it all absorbed and put together, and this happens with maturity. Yes , they can be challenging to raise, but if you keep patient and keep educating them without overloading them- or asking too much too early ( beware because they are willing to give it) you will have a great dog once they come fully into their own.

How much of this is Asko, I don't know, but you may be able to paint a picture if you put all knowledge together and see what seems to be consistent?!?

There is was an artice in the SV magazine quite a while ago about Asko. I do not have the exact year and Edition, but maybe someone does and you care to find it and translate it... ?!?

· Registered
71 Posts
LOL, Gillian. As a matter of fact I do. And anyone that knows me and seen my dogs can verify. As a matter of fact Mike Diehl worked my Sch3 male and said he'd have no problem working the the street with him. When I was in Florida for work I visited Gottfreied Dildei's club and the Police department that trains there wanted to buy him. And if you're a little closer to Germany ask Horst from Talka Marda what he thought of the Enno v. Fuchsstein son of mine he worked in Ohio.

Is this a fight you're trying to pick? I thought this was the WDF not the PDB? LOL

· Registered
71 Posts

· Registered
2,728 Posts
I know you are big in Pike,but compare Pike/Asko today.
I will voice my limited experience with offspring from these two dogs. I had one direct son from Asko out of my old female Shaquira V Tiekerhook. He was a nice GSD, good drives for the ball, solid hunt, good nerves, good grip, and was easy to push into real aggression. He was social but dominant. Overall a normal good police K-9 quality dog. I sold him to Drew Pierce on this forum several years ago and I believe Drew was happy with him.
I imported three Pike sons from one litter, to be honest they were all shit. I tried again later with another bitch and Pike, and once again, not good pups. All 5 pike sons together were not as good as the Asko son that I had. But to be fair, there are some good Pike sons out there, I have seen them, But I have seen a lot more good Asko sons.

· Registered
2,728 Posts
The dog your talking about was sired by Fado vd Lutter not Asko, but considering the sheer amount of inventory (dogs) that have passed thru your kennel since that time it's an understandable oversight.
Holy shit Drew, my mistake, you're absolutely correct. I'm getting old and losing my mind. I stand corrected. There certainly have been several through here since that one for sure. In any case I do think Asko (and Fado too) was a good producer.

· Registered
118 Posts
would it be fair to assume this?..........asko produced well against strong nerved bitches, but not so well against more effy ones. i would be curious to know how much quincy inherited from dixie rather than asko. when i look at dixie offspring i see a lot of fado/harro coming thru which seems quite likely as the sire of the dam is a very prominent position for inheriting character traits.

· Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I will voice my limited experience with offspring from these two dogs. I had one direct son from Asko out of my old female Shaquira V Tiekerhook. He was a nice GSD, good drives for the ball, solid hunt, good nerves, good grip, and was easy to push into real aggression. He was social but dominant. Overall a normal good police K-9 quality dog. I sold him to Drew Pierce on this forum several years ago and I believe Drew was happy with him.
I imported three Pike sons from one litter, to be honest they were all shit. I tried again later with another bitch and Pike, and once again, not good pups. All 5 pike sons together were not as good as the Asko son that I had. But to be fair, there are some good Pike sons out there, I have seen them, But I have seen a lot more good Asko sons.

Thanks Mike. Appreciate your input.

Regards

· Registered
71 Posts
A lot of discussion has been made about mother lines. I believe that Asko is an example of this. Having heard from those that knew both of Asko's parents and the dogs they produced. Haska also produced Fado v/d Lutter. A strong dominate dog who produces strong dominate dogs, very similar to Asko. She also produced Basko v/d Lutter who was much the same.

· Registered
368 Posts
glad someone brought it up, the dam is equally important. Might have been a very good thing to point out again.... !
By looking at all the combinations with Asko and different females, you have a better idea of what is being passed on by him on a "regular" basis.
But one should also look at what the Dam brings to the table!
That is often something that get's forgotten or underestimated! It takes two to make one!!!
Thanks for bringing this up.

· Registered
4,537 Posts
glad someone brought it up, the dam is equally important. Might have been a very good thing to point out again.... !
By looking at all the combinations with Asko and different females, you have a better idea of what is being passed on by him on a "regular" basis.
But one should also look at what the Dam brings to the table!
That is often something that get's forgotten or underestimated! It takes two to make one!!!
Thanks for bringing this up.
I believe the dam side of things has also been brought up regarding Pike and what he produced with the Gardenfense KNPV bitch line and Kathargo bitches to name a couple.

T

· Registered
631 Posts
In the Thoroughbred racing world, there are some bloodstock experts whose consulting (and fees) are based on their excellent knowledge and research into the bloodlines and how they have combined/resulted in past breedings/performance. They research the bloodlines and performance to suggest recommended breedings (or to research potential purchases of yearlings, etc.). My sister is an equine vet and I've met friends of hers who make a decent living at this. The ones I've met are skilled at understanding genetics, gathering objective data, and having reputations for personal integrity.

It may be easier to evaluate performance in race horses than in dogs (e.g. quantifiable in times, performance in track conditions, health histories). Does anyone do this kind of consulting as paid work in the dog world? I realize that the pockets of Thoroughbred owners are likely deeper than those of most dog owners, but it does seem that it is a niche market that someone who loved this kind of work could fill?

41 - 60 of 63 Posts