Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something has been bothering me. My darling Arkane is a real "talker". In fact, when I leave him in the car (crate), he is very vocal about his displeasure for a good minute or so until I am out of sight. (were talking about a series of high pitched squeels down to deep throated cursing) This really doesn't bother me, but I am worried about his upcoming flight to Oklahoma. If he sings his regular tune, I'm afraid the airline personnel will not appreciate the serenade and will refuse him on the flight. Obviously I DO NOT want to tranq him before a flight. I have heard people in the dog show world talk about some herb that just takes the edge off, but I don't know what it is called or even if it is safe. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think the airlines are used to vocal dogs ;) I've imported several dogs that come over, shipped puppies...I'm sure some of them were pretty vocal. I don't think they'd refuse you for that. I wouldn't give anything prior to a flight as far as tranquilizers or
any herbal supplements. He'll be alone in the cargo area with no one to monitor the effects if you gave him anything.
I'm sure he will be just fine.

·
Registered
580 Posts
There are a couple of herbal "calming" remedies on the market. Valerian root is supposed to work, too. I personally don't see any effect one way or the other - I always used to think, the people that swore by giving the herbs to their dogs were themselves quite excitable; possibly, the people were comforted by THINKING the dogs were calming down, and since dogs are so perceptive, they calm down as a result? :lol: I don't think you'll have an issue, though.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never had a problem flying any of my past GSD's, but none of them were quite as "vocal" as this guy!!! It's comical to me, and I just keep walking & don't look back, but some strangers have been rather alarmed at the crazy sounds he makes. Funny puppy!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Really looking forward to meeting you, Susan! I have heard some people use "Rescue Remedy" and also "Bach Flower Formula". I haven't used either but like most herbals, the effects are probably fairly subtle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts