Working Dog Forums banner

Are Dogs That Bite ..... Weapons ?

Are Dogs Trained to Bite ..... Weapons ?

8605 Views 53 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Joby Becker
YES, dogs that bite are weapons
21 - 40 of 54 Posts
Can I take it then, that if my dog is not trained to bite, but chews the crap out of someone being physically aggressive with me, the dog isn't a weapon because of the lack of training?
Do weapons go off by themselves?

You might have a loose cannon Don.

I think a weapon is something that is used with the handler's intention. I choose to employ a gun, knife or dog. So if your dog isn't bite trained can you reliably direct the "force" of your dog upon something else? I don't think so.
Nope, Can't direct their force onto something else cause I am not familiar with the technique. If I tell them "NO", they will stand down. Been there and done that. One dog was already aireborne and planted both feet in the guys chest. The other pulled off at the last second and slammed into his knee sideways. Doesn't "NO" work anymore? How do you redirect when there isn't a second to spare?

My question is, Would I be less liable if a dog took someone down than a person that had actually trained the dog to bite? Seems it kinda shows intent if they are trained for it.
Nope, Can't direct their force onto something else cause I am not familiar with the technique. If I tell them "NO", they will stand down. Been there and done that. One dog was already aireborne and planted both feet in the guys chest. The other pulled off at the last second and slammed into his knee sideways. Doesn't "NO" work anymore? How do you redirect when there isn't a second to spare?

My question is, Would I be less liable if a dog took someone down than a person that had actually trained the dog to bite? Seems it kinda shows intent if they are trained for it.

Seems you have more of a booby trap than anything else.

When I had my home broken into, I discussed with the police officer about my dogs biting an intruder. He flat out told me, legally in AZ, I would be better off shooting a person dead then having a dog bite somebody.

thats why you say you had no idea the dog was gonna bite the guy...;) after you hide the suits and muzzles :)

Basically, you are liable for your dogs action. Period.

If your dog engages on a person then you are almost certainly going to be in some sort of legal controversy. Whether it is criminal or civil. You might come out clean, however you will probably go through it. Remember you have to react in seconds in some situations, but the courts will break down your every move and decision like you had days to react.
Basically, you are liable for your dogs action. Period.

If your dog engages on a person then you are almost certainly going to be in some sort of legal controversy. Whether it is criminal or civil. You might come out clean, however you will probably go through it. Remember you have to react in seconds in some situations, but the courts will break down your every move and decision like you had days to react.
I realize I am definitely liable for what my dogs do, but, I have to wonder if I may come out a bit cleaner if the dogs have not been trained for bitework. Seems to me the training is going to put a different perspective on things ....say in a jurys view.

Chris, seems to me when I took the course for a CC permit, we had a similar discussion and though they wouldn't say it outright, I got the general impression if one of the dogs got someone, I would be better off just shooting them. As for the booby trap, I don't know. I come home and find notes on my door from PG&E and others and they have to come through one of the dog yards to get to the house. They are really pretty cool with people. They won't let anyone touch them unless I am there. The only times they have amped up is when someone challenged them or they perceived I was in danger.
Seems you have more of a booby trap than anything else.

When I had my home broken into, I discussed with the police officer about my dogs biting an intruder. He flat out told me, legally in AZ, I would be better off shooting a person dead then having a dog bite somebody.
Yep, because dead people don't testify against you.

I realize I am definitely liable for what my dogs do, but, I have to wonder if I may come out a bit cleaner if the dogs have not been trained for bitework. Seems to me the training is going to put a different perspective on things ....say in a jurys view.

Chris, seems to me when I took the course for a CC permit, we had a similar discussion and though they wouldn't say it outright, I got the general impression if one of the dogs got someone, I would be better off just shooting them. As for the booby trap, I don't know. I come home and find notes on my door from PG&E and others and they have to come through one of the dog yards to get to the house. They are really pretty cool with people. They won't let anyone touch them unless I am there. The only times they have amped up is when someone challenged them or they perceived I was in danger.
I think a lot of it has to do with circumstances. Basically, if you have the dog in the house, someone breaks in and the dog chews their face off - they have it coming. Not saying you won't have legal issues to contend with and a quarantine with the dog (whether vaccinated or not, 10 day mandatory quarantine for rabies). But again you'd probably do better shooting and killing them.
A. as mentioned above, if they're dead, they can't testify against you
B. If your dog chews them up, they might have a slick attorney that can get them off on the B&E charge and then you might be up shit creek without a paddle, have the dog taken away, fined for medical bills, charged with pain and suffering, assault with a deadly weapon...etc etc.

If the perp is dead, they can't get pain and suffering/medical bills or lie about the circumstances. I'd only be inclined to use a dog as a last resort - i.e. dogs loose and my gun jams or something that belongs in one of Murphy's Laws happens. More than likely, if the perp has a weapon and you set a dog on them, you'll wind up with a dead dog and still have someone who is gunning for you.

God created Man, Samuel Colt made him equal.
See less See more

It very well could be Don. However it could be debated that the said dog was trained for out. That the dog would only go for arms, not a dog with no training being portrayed as a loose cannon.

It sounds silly but defense lawyers are smart enough to bring in neighbors, trainers, and who ever else. Does this dog have a prior record as a vicious dog, or "potentially dangerous" status. A jury can look at all possibilities.

I have always had 2 signs at my house.

Beware of dog and No trespassing. That don't guarantee me anything but it calms my nerves.
when the cop was here, he said most bad guys don't know enough to litigate against a dog bite where he was the intruder and he said most officers probably wouldn't even say anything. But, shooting somebody in my house is a cut and dried situation and there are more favorable laws for me in AZ. I was told, all that would happen, is I would be detained and asked questions and would probably be back home within three hours and not hear about it again.

Beware of dog and No trespassing. That don't guarantee me anything but it calms my nerves.
I like the signs too, but my landlord will not let me post any - they said their homeowners insurance consider it a liability to have signs because then "you know the dog is dangerous" - slippery slope on that one.
anyone can sue for anything
just depends on court and your attorney
my philosophy is that ALL dogs bite. I can prove that
I train mine to listen to me regardless of distractions, even a fight, and only bite when and if i tell him
i also train a bark and hold, proof that the subject was being aggressive, if he was just standing still the dog wouldn't bite

there is no right or wrong, only convincing a jury, i know why and how i train and can testify under oath
I agree Mike.

Basically to the original OP. Basically any dog can be a weapon in certain situations. The question is good but also is vague. To have a dog in general that is bite trained or not, you assume a certain level of risk.
"Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat."

From a completely legal stand point, "Dog in Yard" (with a picture of a dog) and "No Trespassing" are the best combination of signs and the least likely to get you in trouble if someone breaks into your yard and gets bit by your dog. It is more difficult for the plaintiff to make a case with Dog in Yard and No Trespassing because...

1. "Dog in Yard" tells people - hey, there is a dog in here! Haivng a picture as well is best because if someone is illiterate they can sue you for not having a picture of a dog on the sign for them to understand.
2. "No Trespassing" tells people "Stay out of my yard!"
3. "Beware of Dog" admits that you know your dog could be dangerous or might bite, which you don't want to admit from a legal point of view
4. "Guard Dog on Duty" signs are okay if the dog is professionally trained to be a guard dog and you have proof, paperwork, training logs etc to back it up, but otherwise can get you in more trouble.

Isn't the legal system fun??? :confused:
From a completely legal stand point, "Dog in Yard" (with a picture of a dog) and "No Trespassing" are the best combination of signs and the least likely to get you in trouble if someone breaks into your yard and gets bit by your dog. It is more difficult for the plaintiff to make a case with Dog in Yard and No Trespassing because...

1. "Dog in Yard" tells people - hey, there is a dog in here! Haivng a picture as well is best because if someone is illiterate they can sue you for not having a picture of a dog on the sign for them to understand.
2. "No Trespassing" tells people "Stay out of my yard!"
3. "Beware of Dog" admits that you know your dog could be dangerous or might bite, which you don't want to admit from a legal point of view
4. "Guard Dog on Duty" signs are okay if the dog is professionally trained to be a guard dog and you have proof, paperwork, training logs etc to back it up, but otherwise can get you in more trouble.

Isn't the legal system fun??? :confused:
Best sign I know of is

Special Trained Dogs on Site

jc
I know some PPD trainers like to train dogs to bite the weapon hand but it seems like training a dog to bite the actual weapon would be hard on the teeth? :)
Best sign I know of is

Special Trained Dogs on Site

jc
Excellent! Never seen one, but sounds good. lol
I know some PPD trainers like to train dogs to bite the weapon hand but it seems like training a dog to bite the actual weapon would be hard on the teeth? :)
Some even train them to catch bullets:) :) :)

Oh, I have a question on that (sorry to derail). Do they teach to go for a hand with an object in it, or for a specific hand? As in, since about 91% of the population is right handed, do they teach the dog to go for the right hand, or is it just whatever hand has an object?
Oh, I have a question on that (sorry to derail). Do they teach to go for a hand with an object in it, or for a specific hand? As in, since about 91% of the population is right handed, do they teach the dog to go for the right hand, or is it just whatever hand has an object?
ooh boy...
start a new thread...title it "weapon hand?" \\:D/

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.