Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Interesting question... same that dictates BSL. I believe that a dog from specific, carefully bred lines CAN have the tendancy to show the characteristics it was bred for. For example, people looking for a PPD don't look for lines with champion show dogs. Now, like all animals, there are exceptions. Take Mike S.'s dog, Cujo, for example. This dog is a working dog out of show lines. So to say EVERY dog, be they pitbull, german shepherd, or chihuahua, will be a certain trait is kind of hard to say. I do agree, however, that dogs of unknown lineage must be dealt with carefully. Dogs with bad raps (pitbulls, rotties, etc) are more likely to be out of aggressive lines than a labarador.
I probably sound a little confusing (I've had a LONG night last night), but what I'm trying to say is you can try to guage what a dog will be based on his/her lineage, but each animal is an individual and so is each environment of maturation, so there shouldn't be any sort of cookie-cutter generalization on any breed.
(See why BSL supporters hate me?)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.