·
Registered
5,408 Posts
like dog , like handler you mean

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Mals are like Border Collies? Are Border Collie pups also aggressive, like to growl and bite everything? I'd never heard of a border collie being anything like a Mal other than perhaps the energy level. Perhaps I haven't been around the right border collies?

I know people with incredibly high energy bc's and they'd die if they had to live with a Mal.
I know what Howard is saying Mike ..

Sure the obvious difference is the biting thing they don't call them Belgian Biters for nothing!

But the energy level, intelligence and athleticism of both breeds are very similar. YMMV

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have had my Mal pup for a little over a week and am relieved to read the responses to this post. I was expecting a very intense and active dog, but I also thought she might sleep at some point. When she does sleep she seems to resist it the entire time.

I go on a minimum of two walks a day with Grimm and my collie. We also go out several times a day to toss the ball around when she's getting too crazy in the apartment.

I have cats and when I can't get her to stop eye balling them and attempting to leap onto the countertops, that's my signal that someone has too much energy to be inside right now. As for eating them, I don't think she intends that, but I am careful because her teeth are razor sharp.

On the topic of teeth, I don't plan to have her around any children until she is old enough and trained enough to know what is acceptable to nip at and what isn't.

I've never seen a GSD on crack, but I often find myself thinking that if my sister's terrier were on speed it would be a lot like Grimm.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
On the topic of teeth, I don't plan to have her around any children until she is old enough and trained enough to know what is acceptable to nip at and what isn't.
I think you are making a mistake by not letting her have controlled exposure to children. My dog has been raised with a 4 and 6 year old sure there was some moments by both the dog when she was really young and by the kids continually to this day.

But now my dog is actually really good with small people because of the exposure. She is brought into kindergarten classes when I pick up my son and to soccer and it is not a problem. She doesn't have any interest for kids as prey items. And this is a Ring dog and one of the most prey driven dogs I have ever seen.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I think you are making a mistake by not letting her have controlled exposure to children. My dog has been raised with a 4 and 6 year old sure there was some moments by both the dog when she was really young and by the kids continually to this day.

But now my dog is actually really good with small people because of the exposure. She is brought into kindergarten classes when I pick up my son and to soccer and it is not a problem. She doesn't have any interest for kids as prey items. And this is a Ring dog and one of the most prey driven dogs I have ever seen.

Absolutely!!

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Agreed! I don't have kids, but I made a point of having kids give Fawkes treats and whatnot. It served a dual purpose to do a little public service type education in showing how to correctly give a treat to a strange dog (with a cupped hand) and how to act (don't shriek, don't flail your arms around, etc). He is still not particularly fond of the real little ones (5 years and older are great as long as they pet nicely) and if they shriek and run away, he sometimes air snaps because of the movement. Which he gets soundly corrected for. And this is why I teach dog bite prevention to the kids who I do childcare for at the church I work at NOT to shriek and run away. I'm actually doing a presentation on it in two weeks for the kids at church with Lily and Dolly (my foster Rottweiler who I'm starting to train as a therapy dog). :)

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I have cats and when I can't get her to stop eye balling them and attempting to leap onto the countertops, that's my signal that someone has too much energy to be inside right now.
Don't let her fool you.....if she has prey drive, your cats may feel the wrath later on when you are not looking.

I would start now, trying to introduce an older Mal to kids can be difficult if not impossible. My older Mal is triggered by small, quick kids and this is because she was not socialized properly to them when young. She is okay on lead around them, but off-lead.....UH...NO.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
if a puppy has a decent temperament, and good obedience, does it really have to be exposed to children????? This is some serious pet bullshit. What happens when the puppy just doesn't like children ? ? ? ? Do you still work and train the dog ?? ? ?
If you want your dog out in public and you don't want your dogs killed and a lawsuit, yup. They don't need to smother the kids in kisses, but neutrality, yes. The good obedience is part of it, as you mentioned.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
if a puppy has a decent temperament, and good obedience, does it really have to be exposed to children????? This is some serious pet bullshit. What happens when the puppy just doesn't like children ? ? ? ? Do you still work and train the dog ?? ? ?
Jeff,
I am in the field of Search and Rescue, and I also am asked to do a lot of PR stuff with the dogs. So while I agree with you, I still need to have at least one or two of my dogs socialized to kids.
The kids are not allowed to "maul" the dogs though. I want my dog to stand calmly, their attention on me and the kids get to pet the dog on the back.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts

My answer is yes.

My elder GSD wasn't struck on kids as a pup - just the tiny ones that belonged to a family who had a pup the same age and we let them play together - the kids were often with us and he loved them. I have to walk through the village for 2-3 minutes before I get to the woods, football field, etc. and the kindergarten kids usually come screaming down the hill but luckily, GSDs aren't so popular here- not fluffy enough maybe. All I need is for my dog to treat them neutrally. After all, why should all and sundry come and stroke my dog. The Fila Brasileiro loved kids and they loved him - if it works, ok, if it doesn't - leave it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It doesn't have to like them, just to tolerate/ignore them in the vicinity. From that perspective, it seems like exposing the pup to kids (and the attendant running and shrieking) is a reasonable thing to do as part of exposing the pup to the world in general. If the kids approach, the dog should behave appropriately (i.e. no nipping or trying to pounce OR play without permission) and expect the handler to deal with getting the children to leave it alone or directing the interaction.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

Sure do Jeff! It's not even Pet bullshit per say. I look at every situation as a training exercise for the dog including exposure to younger punk kids.

I have lots of kids in and out of my house with the kids we babysit to the killer on the adult head kid birthday parties. We've sometimes have had 25+ kids in a 1400 sqft house including a magician and a dumb pony in the back yard. So while yes the dog was tethered to me she didn't lose her mind or even stressed out about it.

Sure you can't prepare for everything and the dog still may bite a kid one day if a kid did something stupid. But hopefully the groundwork that was laid by me will defer that from ever happening. With todays litigious society I do not want to lose my dog and my life savings to something as preventable as a bite on a kid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most of the things I've read or heard about Belgian Malinois warn people about how much activity they need and how hyper they are. A Malinois breeder actually told me that they are like German Shepherds on crack cocaine. The way these people are talking, it sounds like I would need to get a treadmill and just leave the dog on there all the time when it's awake! :-o

I have a couple of questions for all of you Malinois owners.

1. How much time do you actually spend working/training a Malinois per day? Is that every single day? If so, do you guys have jobs and a family? Would 30 minutes per day + 1 schutzhund session per week be enough?

Mine was trained as a pup but is super hyper almost all day if my kids are around.

2. How much time do you spend with your dog not training, working or excercising (in other words just relaxing) per day?

I try to throw the ball 3 times a week at a park.

3. How long can your dogs relax for? Can it relax with you while you watch a dvd without jumping around and trying to climb up the walls?

Dog rarely relaxes... Constantly pacing, whining. We have our routines but if my kids or gf is around, he can’t relax.

4. Does it try to kill every small animal (including other pets you own) every chance it gets?

Mine doesn’t give a care in the world of other dogs. I don’t keep him on a leash at the parks. He only wants his ball to play with and will allow others to play but he is big, strong and fast. He’s not aggressive just plays hard. Sidenote: He will defend himself against any size dog if attacked. Does not really acknowledge other dogs. Even up close.

5. Does it try to bite children all the time?

Kid friendly, allows strangers/kids to pet him. He plays a little rough at times, shows teeth, very vocal and can get scary but a stern warning and he’s waging his tail

6. Is it really like a German Shepherd on crack (please be serious... have you ever seen someone one on crack before? - it's rather intense)?

YES! And speed. Can rarely tire this dog our

7. Do they live in your house with you or do they live in a kennel?

Lives in house, can be let outside in back yard, no fence and will not wander out of backyard. Just plays with his toys. Both

I'm looking for a pet/part-time schutzhund/family protector/best friend to hang out with me when I do stuff type dog. Will a Malinois be content with that? Or does it really need to run 5 miles per day?

Mine really needs to run more. I throw the ball at the park..can be busy there, dog walkers, kids, etc. He will chase his ball and only come right back. Nothing distracts him from play time. I have people almost everytime comment on how well behaved he is. (Psycho hyper crazy at home at times). Kinda like kids. Have had other dogs drink from water bowl on a hot day 2 feet from him. Doesn’t care. Just want ball. After a day out at the park, we go home and immediately wants to go out and play more. Car rides can be tough as he knows the area, where we are going. Hyper in car. Sleeps well at night.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts