Working Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow Jeff, your response regarding rescue Malinois and a Mal that would let a cat rule the house sure felt like an unnecessary slap! I foster Malinois on a regular basis. I am delivering one to his new home today and getting another in on Sunday. I don't think that the owners of those Mals would agree with you about their uselessness. Most of the Mal we get in are not working dog wash-outs, they are dogs purchased as pets by people who didn't do the kind of research needed.

In regards to a Malinois allowing a cat to rule the house-the Mals were "told" from day one that they would allow the cat to rule the house or not live in it! The cat had been with us for 20 years and deserved to live out his years unharassed by a dog. I am not the biggest cat fan in the world, he was my husbands cat, but I do feel that my dogs are not the only animal in the world that deserves respect and kindness and my protection.

I train Ringsport with that same Mal. While I am very new to the sport I can tell you that she has at least enough guts to do what I am asking her to learn as I make my new sport mistakes on her while at the same time being a sane, balanced dog. I have trained dogs in other sports for a long time and I learned a long time ago that what is most important to me in a dog is that it s a good companion for me. I want a dog who can go anywhere I take it-a family gathering, my school, to the park, etc. We will both have a better life because of it. It sounds to me like that is what Rick was looking for too and I do believe you can gt that in a nice Mal. Maybe not in one that will go out and kick major butt in the protection sports, but I can tell you they can do a nice job and be a great pet.

Jeanine

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am not a long time Mal owner and have only owned two. I agree with alot of what has been said. It really depends on the breeding and how you raise the dog. My first Mal now passed was really energetic but would love to sit and cuddle-she was a protection/shutzhund reject so she was missing some drive. If I failed to play/work/walk her every morning and night while she was young it would not be a pleasant day for me. Like some others mentioned this was the extremely reactive/sharp type barking at most things near the house. She was fine with kids, but cats and squirells were not safe but I did not stop her since I did not own any:-\"

My current Mal is just over one year and I would say YES she is on crack! She does not cuddle unless she is tired from playing ball & working obedience& going for four mile walk and definately not as long as a DVD maybe a third of the way through she will be up and asking what is next!? I do work and my routine is up around 5/6 AM let her out to go potty with a ball in her mouth, then we play fetch and I give her balls she pushes around the yard herself. While I make coffee she must have something to do/chew. If I am sleepy and forget to give her something she will pace, find other things to chew, stare at me, pace find toys and punch me in the stomach or leg with the toy...Once I have a little coffee we will go for a minimum of two mile walk, practice ob and throw ball for about 15-20 minutes. When we return she is relaxed but not tired. She is crated while I or my husband are at work. Normally we are opposite shifts so she is not crated all day. In the kennel in the yard she will dig and bark and we have neighbors that do not appreciate dogs on crack.:lol: i dont go to work until late afternoon and return around 11 PM I repeat part of the morning routine taking her outside, playing ball, sometimes OB...I do take her to various activities when I can such as protection sports (couple times a week) agility or rally training...

I think a MAL is not the dog for many people but for some it is the best! Do lots of research on the breeder and dogs related to any you consider. Decide how little sleep you can live on and any others in your household. Marta

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
If you are considering a Malinois, be prepared for the first year to be a little, um, challenging LOL They can be a LOT as a pup. But if you raise them right, right being raise them to fit into your household, they can also be a lot of fun and IMO not that hard to live with.

At any given time I have anywhere from 8-12 Malinois. Ranging from puppy (ie a few months) to 11 years old. I also have a full time job. But since I have so many dogs, they self-exercise for the most part. Turn 4 or 5 Malinois loose in the backyard, and watch the fun begin LOL I train some of the dogs 3-4 days a week, depends on the dog and the day. IE a couple go to the FR club 2 days a week. 1 goes herding once a week, some will be worked at home on obedience, jumps and/or protection, etc.

1. How much time do you actually spend working/training a Malinois per day? Is that every single day? If so, do you guys have jobs and a family? Would 30 minutes per day + 1 schutzhund session per week be enough?

I would say I spend a couple hours a week actually training any 1 dog. 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there, then 30-45 minutes at each formal session at the club. I don't train every dog every day, that would be a fulltime job itself. I think 30 minutes of training a day, plus the time at the Sch club would be enough to keep the dog happy, but I agree with the people who said 1 session at the Sch club a week isn't going to get you very far very fast. Unless your 30 minutes a day are spent working on the things the Sch club is showing you.

2. How much time do you spend with your dog not training, working or excercising (in other words just relaxing) per day?

Quite a few hours, since at least some of the dogs are always underfoot when I'm home. I don't know if I'd call it relaxing, since when I get home from work my "second job" has just begun (cleaning the house, spending time with my son, taking care of the dogs, etc) but we hang out.

3. How long can your dogs relax for? Can it relax with you while you watch a dvd without jumping around and trying to climb up the walls?

Depends on what I'm doing, and how old the dog is. It would be a stretch for my 8 month old pup to watch an entire DVD without wanting to get up and bounce around. No problem at all for my adults. Although if I get up, they will get up. To see where I'm going and what I'm doing. After all, I just might be going to the fridge to get a steak for them, at least they can always hope LOL

4. Does it try to kill every small animal (including other pets you own) every chance it gets?

Other pets, no. Although I don't consider the chickens pets either LOL I have had cats, and also had small dogs, without problems. However the dogs KNEW the cats were off limit, and they knew the JRT was a dog, so they treated her like one. Squirrels, rabbits, etc are pretty much fair game, some of the dogs are very keen on that, other's don't really care.

5. Does it try to bite children all the time?

When they are puppies, they use their mouths a LOT. Resulting in them sometimes being labeled aggressive, dominant, etc when they are not. It's prefectly normal for a 3 month old Malinois pup to be cuddling up to someone, licking and wiggling, get overly excited, and bam bite them in the face. I am VERY careful with my young Malinois and children. As they mature though they do learn proper and improper behavior, ie when they can and can't use their mouths, and they can become more trustworthy around kids. I have some dogs that are very good with kids, I have others forget it. They are either to excited to be around kids (mouthy and such) or they just don't like kids. Sometimes they love them, but that won't stop them from plowing the kid over when they wave a toy above their head so ...

6. Is it really like a German Shepherd on crack (please be serious... have you ever seen someone one on crack before? - it's rather intense)?

Beats me.

7. Do they live in your house with you or do they live in a kennel?

Both. All my dogs sleep in the house, either in crates or loose. During the day some dogs are in the house, some are outside in kennels. When we are home some will be loose in the house, some loose in the backyard, and others are in/out of the kennels. Nobody is crated/kenneled all the time, they all get "family time".

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
1. How much time do you actually spend working/training a Malinois per day? Is that every single day? If so, do you guys have jobs and a family? Would 30 minutes per day + 1 schutzhund session per week be enough?

I have two purebred Mals and a Malinois/GSD cross. I usually spend 20-30 minutes a day with Fawkes the youngest doing obedience, water retrieve, etc. Or we go out on the off leash trails with all the dogs. My best advice is that if you get a decent trail bike and ride with them off leash, that will wear them out nicely. I'm getting a building membership to the local agility training facility, so we'll start that soon in a little more earnest, but it's hard to keep him off the equipment. He thinks he owns it all. :-D I would love to do a protection sport again, but there isn't a ring sport in my state and the closest Schutzhund club is Bob Scott's club. Unfortunately with vet school, I would only be able to make it out once or twice a month, especially during the school year, and I don't want to be that "hey, I'm here! Train me!" person. I have two part time jobs, I'm in vet school, and I'm married.

2. How much time do you spend with your dog not training, working or excercising (in other words just relaxing) per day?

They're all asleep now, even the youngest (14 months old) is asleep near my feet. Oh wait, Malinois don't sleep...they wait...

3. How long can your dogs relax for? Can it relax with you while you watch a dvd without jumping around and trying to climb up the walls?

The youngest probably couldn't sit still through an entire 2 hour DVD until around 11-12 months old, assuming he got a good hour of off leash exercise in. At 7 months old, he could probably stand about 5-10 minutes of stillness to work on a bone or toy before he hopped up to get into more mischief. He was left in the crate a LOT as a pup. He still got lots of exercise and training, but this was more to get it in his mind how to be calm, relax, and not try to eat everything in the house. ;-)

4. Does it try to kill every small animal (including other pets you own) every chance it gets?

I've got a ferret, two snakes, a rat, and a goldfish. He was interested in the ferret's cage at first since it's on the ground and dogs LOVE ferret poop. He'd try to nip at him between the bars of the cage at first, but that got nipped in the bud pretty darn quick. I actually had the ferret somehow get out of his cage about a week ago and Fawkes just bounced around after him play bowing at him before I managed to intercept the little evil weasel. Outside kitties are not tolerated.

5. Does it try to bite children all the time?

He's tried to nip at kids before out of the fast moving prey drive and gets corrected pretty hard for it. Then he gets they are fine. But he's not especially fond of them. My female Mal is a certified therapy dog at the Children's Hospital. She much prefers kids about 8 and up as the little screaming ones she doesn't care for. She has never offered to bite.

6. Is it really like a German Shepherd on crack (please be serious... have you ever seen someone one on crack before? - it's rather intense)?

I'd say more on speed. I tell people they are like crossing a working German shepherd with a working border collie. Very intense, almost always alert.

7. Do they live in your house with you or do they live in a kennel?

They all live in the house. Fawkes sleeps free in the house, but is crated when we leave the house.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Quote: Wow Jeff, your response regarding rescue Malinois and a Mal that would let a cat rule the house sure felt like an unnecessary slap!

I ****ing hate cats, and no matter what I said to my dog, the cat wouldn't last.](*,)

Quote: I don't think that the owners of those Mals would agree with you about their uselessness.

Pet people still believe in Lassie, so what are the odds that I am wrong ????=D> =D> =D>

Quote: I train Ringsport with that same Mal. While I am very new to the sport I can tell you that she has at least enough guts to do what I am asking her to learn as I make my new sport mistakes on her while at the same time being a sane, balanced dog.

Are you sure of that???? I have yet to meet a "balanced" Mal in the classical sense of the term.:grin:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I dunno, Jeff. Especially in Malinois rescue, it seems like they were turned over usually through no fault of their own. I think it'd be possible to get a nice diamond in the rough from Malinois rescue to do sport with rather than say through GSD rescue. Not that a GSD from rescue would be impossible either.

My female Mal from rescue has the drive to be a fun club level sport dog. Fawkes outweighs her by probably soon to be 10 lbs, but she tugs harder for certain. I was told by the vet clinic who turned her over to rescue that she was "from working lines." I just can't do bite work or even much tug work due to the nerve damage in her neck. :( I may try rally with her as she's got nice natural attention. She's more bonded to me than any puppy I've had.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
People have different standards for their dogs. What one person might see as a good sport prospect, is a junker to someone that expects more.

It is the distinguishing point between a "sport dog" and a dog that "does sport."

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
People have different standards for their dogs. What one person might see as a good sport prospect, is a junker to someone that expects more.
I'd even tweak that a little to "expects different". I've seen top level sport dogs I wouldn't want to own, and dogs that aren't going to be top level dogs that I would want to own. Each person looks for something different in a pup also, when looking for a prospect.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Rick,
Im sure if you keep looking for what you want you can find it. I have a 9 month old mal and he is great, exactly what "I" want. He sits and watches TV, or takes a bone to a corner and just relaxes. Outside he is all play. He loves bitework and fetching. I believe that it is all how you bring them up to be. If you get a young pup and teach him an on and off switch from the get go you should be fine. You might find it difficult to bring an older one in and teach it those fundamentals you are looking for.
Some have worded their opinions here, as entitled, and given you excellent information. Others, a little disrespectful in my opinion. Take it lightly and see things through. Maybe you can ask a mal owner for a little "demo" of the dog in more than just the sport aspect. Good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I'd even tweak that a little to "expects different". I've seen top level sport dogs I wouldn't want to own, and dogs that aren't going to be top level dogs that I would want to own. Each person looks for something different in a pup also, when looking for a prospect.
Yeah, thats what I meant, thanks Kadi :D English being my first language and all, sometimes I can't find the right words. Wait... no... yeah, er, you know what I mean :p

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Are Belgian Malinois as hyper as people say?
This question is pretty loaded and you have gotten lots of great answers and rebuttals. Some other advice I''ll give you is be careful of what you read on the internet especially on places like dog breed info http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/belgianmalinois.htm Sure it is a general description and it is pretty good, but there is so much more to know about the Malinois than what is to read there.

People always seem to want a Malinois that behaves like a Golden Retriever .. but they are not even close. Even with all the research I did before picking up my pup which was supposed to be a pet btw. Dod NOT prepare me for the first year of my dogs life. Malinois pups are pretty intense, it is not when they are adults that they are over the top. It is that first year they are really zippy dee doo daa then like any other dog they get more focused and calm as they get older.

If I had to do it all over again I'd be visiting as many breeders as I could as well as as trying to attend as many dog sport where Malinois compete to talk to the handler/owners. Even if your local police force have Malinois see if you can talk to them. Seriously the more the merrier.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
I have found a huge difference in what people consider a good dog, let alone any of the BS working dog people like me come up with.

I personally could give a shit if a dog was calm.......ever. I am sure I could convince it to be calm, but Mals are "all the rage" now,:p like the Rottweiler was in the 80's. Rotts are not beginner dogs, and neither are Mals. All we need is to encourage part timers who, lets face it, are not going to train the dog to get a Mal. Like we need more of this going on.:oops:

This has nothing to do with who Rick is, I am sure he is nice, but lets be realistic. Think about the percentage of part timers who "want to do something fun with their dog" that actually do anything.

Got a lot of good dogs that way.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I have found a huge difference in what people consider a good dog, let alone any of the BS working dog people like me come up with.

I personally could give a shit if a dog was calm.......ever. I am sure I could convince it to be calm, but Mals are "all the rage" now,:p like the Rottweiler was in the 80's. Rotts are not beginner dogs, and neither are Mals. All we need is to encourage part timers who, lets face it, are not going to train the dog to get a Mal. Like we need more of this going on.:oops:

This has nothing to do with who Rick is, I am sure he is nice, but lets be realistic. Think about the percentage of part timers who "want to do something fun with their dog" that actually do anything.

Got a lot of good dogs that way.
Thanks for the advice Jeff. I think you've convinced me that I need one of these dogs instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKAeihiy5Ck

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would say the Malinois is something like the Border Collie.
Really? Are you serious? That statement makes me very happy! We have a border collie who comes to visit once in a while; however, he is my sister's dog. My parents got Riley for my sister's birthday. We had him since he was a puppy. I lived with him for three years until my sister got married and moved out. She took him with her. He was a great jogging buddy and I have always thought I couldn't handle a malinois. If their temperament are kinda similar, then I can handle a malinois! :smile:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not about Mals or GSDs specifically, but I wanted to reinforce what's being said about kids and dogs, namely that no matter what any given breed is known for, it depends a LOT on the dog.

My field-line cocker spaniel is enormously popular with kids because she looks kind of like a stuffed animal, but she honestly doesn't care for them. (She's never offered to bite, but she will take any chance offered to get away, and has that 'please get me out of here' look if she can't.) And well-bred cocker spaniels are generally considered to be reasonable family dogs- it's just her preference. (She doesn't like hyperactive dogs with no manners either.)

Also, it depends a lot on the kids. Some dogs might be perfectly happy with kids who are dog-savvy and willing to interact appropriately, but not as tolerant of kids being 'kids', whereas others don't care what kind of attention they're getting. (The former is my cocker spaniel- if the kids leave off trying to pet and cuddle her, and start throwing a ball, she's in heaven.)

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
That is great advice Geoff. I just want to emphasize that within any breed there is all kinds of different temperaments. Others have pointed this out on this thread. I have two here who both love kids. But one is so antisocial with adults she wants to bite everyone but family. She is the same with strange dogs. My male is very social and never met a dog he didn't want to play with.

Both are the same breed but have entirely different temperaments.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Really? Are you serious? That statement makes me very happy! We have a border collie who comes to visit once in a while; however, he is my sister's dog. My parents got Riley for my sister's birthday. We had him since he was a puppy. I lived with him for three years until my sister got married and moved out. She took him with her. He was a great jogging buddy and I have always thought I couldn't handle a malinois. If their temperament are kinda similar, then I can handle a malinois! :smile:
Well, they are similar in their intensity. They have a similar "eye" to them. I brought Fawkes and my foster Rottie into a pet store today to go buy Fawkes a new collar (just after that collar thread, he lost his in the woods, d'oh!). He likes to look at things and people intensely. Not in a necessarily challenging way (he's almost 15 months and hasn't tried to pull rank with me), but just very focused sort of way. It's like they are always tracking something in an appraising way. My female is the same way.

They kind of remind me of raptors. Even when you've got a "friendly" relatively trustworthy and well fed hawk or falcon on your arm, they are always watching and appraising and it can be unnerving to people. It's just something that I tend not to notice myself because I am used to it, but other people point out to me. My female foster Rottie (and my male husky/Rottie mix) are both kinda goofy, mellow, people oriented. But the Malinois are not mellow, even when they are physically exhausted from several hours of off leash exercise.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Mals are like Border Collies? Are Border Collie pups also aggressive, like to growl and bite everything? I'd never heard of a border collie being anything like a Mal other than perhaps the energy level. Perhaps I haven't been around the right border collies?

I know people with incredibly high energy bc's and they'd die if they had to live with a Mal.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts