Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the things I've read or heard about Belgian Malinois warn people about how much activity they need and how hyper they are. A Malinois breeder actually told me that they are like German Shepherds on crack cocaine. The way these people are talking, it sounds like I would need to get a treadmill and just leave the dog on there all the time when it's awake! :-o

I have a couple of questions for all of you Malinois owners.

1. How much time do you actually spend working/training a Malinois per day? Is that every single day? If so, do you guys have jobs and a family? Would 30 minutes per day + 1 schutzhund session per week be enough?
2. How much time do you spend with your dog not training, working or excercising (in other words just relaxing) per day?
3. How long can your dogs relax for? Can it relax with you while you watch a dvd without jumping around and trying to climb up the walls?
4. Does it try to kill every small animal (including other pets you own) every chance it gets?
5. Does it try to bite children all the time?
6. Is it really like a German Shepherd on crack (please be serious... have you ever seen someone one on crack before? - it's rather intense)?
7. Do they live in your house with you or do they live in a kennel?

I'm looking for a pet/part-time schutzhund/family protector/best friend to hang out with me when I do stuff type dog. Will a Malinois be content with that? Or does it really need to run 5 miles per day?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
German Shepherd owners please reply as well. I'd like to compare answers between the two breeds. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
A Malinois is a lot more than just energetic. This is what a lot of people don't get. It is also about the way a Malinois behaves. The aggression, the teeth, the biting, the cockyness. The first year is probably the biggest pain in the ass, puppies "never stop," and you can't over-exercise a puppy because of their joints.

Are all Mal's like this? No. But not all Mal's are made equal.

I have a Dutchie, but somewhat similar to a Mal....

1. How much time do you actually spend working/training a Malinois per day?
For the first year of her life, my entire days revolved around dealing with my 2 dogs. Now, on a regular day, I take her out to play fetch for about 20 minutes. I am on 1.7 acres, I use 2 balls, I throw a ball as far as I can, then when she comes near me I tell her to out and throw the 2nd ball in the opposite direction, so essentially she is at an all-out run constantly running after her ball for the equivalent of 1.25 miles a day. I have 4 dogs, I walk one dog a day, so every 4 days she walks 1.5 miles around the neighborhood with me. During the day she is either in the kennel, where she runs back and forth for most of the time making a horrible and annoying squeaking sound as she paces, or she is in the living room with me where she either sleeps on the sofa or keeps putting a ball on my lap, lies down and stares at me waiting for me to throw it. If I don't, she'll bark at me after about 2 minutes of staring :p When I do OB with her, every 2 or 3 days, it's about 20 minutes. OB tires them out more than exercise IMO.

Bare in mind, she is less than 40lbs, very small, and probably takes less exercise than a dog twice her size.

2. How much time do you spend with your dog not training, working or excercising (in other words just relaxing) per day?
If she is in the kennel I am relaxing :D If she is in the house, it's about 35% hanging out, 45% bugging me with her ball, 20% over-reacting to every sound outside at which time she will dive over the coffee table (so far she's never knocked glasses off it in doing so, but I try to remember not to set anything down there), then over the sofa (she's too quick, haven't managed to get her to stop doing that shit either) and slams into the side window scratching at the glass barking at whoever is walking by (or not, as the case may be). At least she will stop the scratching if I tell her to knock it off. She's very sharp.

3. How long can your dogs relax for? Can it relax with you while you watch a dvd without jumping around and trying to climb up the walls?
Sure, at age 2 I can sit through a DVD as long as she doesn't hear something outside to bark at. Thats what the pause button is for :D But generally if there is nothing to bark at, no passersby talking loudly, no cats slinking along the windows or stuff like that, she'll just hang out and watch a movie, or lie on the sofa watching TV for 3 or 4 hours at a time. Once she settles down she settles nicely. Remember, she is 2, not a puppy, even though she's about the size of a puppy :p :p

4. Does it try to kill every small animal (including other pets you own) every chance it gets?
This isn't a trait of a breed, but rather the trait of a specific bloodline. Lyka isn't animal aggressive at all.

I would never trust a young dog around kids, but as they grow up and learn what's what you can control it. Although, Lyka is very antisocial, so I don't trust her around people she doesn't know anyway.

6. Is it really like a German Shepherd on crack (please be serious... have you ever seen someone one on crack before?)?
Never seen a person on crack before, but I also have 2 GSD's and they are night and day difference.

While they can also be hyper and really annoying, and they are raised as outside/kennel dogs, rarely ever coming into the house, if I do let them in the house and give em a toy they will go lie down somewhere. When they are bored, they'll walk around a bit, jump up on stuff (never taught 'em not to since they are kennel dogs), and are a whole different type of dog. In the kennels they are usually sleeping, or barking at someone passing by, but they don't pace back and forth all day long.

Lyka at the same age was running around the house like she had a rocket up her ass. It was a (growling teeth chomping) fight to get her into her crate (now, she'll go in her crate, but if I go out for a few hours, I come home and the crate has moved about 4ft from her going nuts), she'd run around the house growling and barking for no real reason other than to be a snotty lil bitch. I couldn't pet her at all until she was about 10 months old without feeling her teeth. Till 6 months old she was basically permanently attached to my pant legs when I walked. She was a lil demon and I never pictured that she would ever lie down on the sofa to watch a movie with me. Even now if I put her on a leash she's bouncing around biting and tugging on the leash until I tell her to knock it off and keep walking. As a pup when she was on a leash she turned into a lil tasmanian devil spinning around snarling barking growling biting. I miss those days :(

I am not saying these things as a negative, these are traits I like in a dog. They bring life to an otherwise dull household. I like annoying hyper aggressive dogs with cocky attitudes.

And don't get me started on the multiple-dog thing. Cujo and Lyka love eachother, and settle down nicely at night, but during the day they can drive me crazy. I'll tell them to settle down, I'll get into whatever I'm doing, then one of them sneaks over to the other and before I know it they're tearing up the living room again till I have to go break it up. I can't let both of them walk around at the same time, one of them has to be lying down somewhere. Usually Lyka, since she actually listens to her OB and Cujo is a snot. If one of them starts growling at the window, before I know it both dogs are going ballistic whether there is something there or not. It's really quite the circus having 2 sharp dogs around :p Usually one dog will end up in the kennel and they will take turns in the house if I don't have time to keep dealing with them.

**EDIT: Just to clarify, when I say I have 2 GSD's, I mean working line GSD's. I also have a show line GSD, but he doesn't count. He's not that annoying :p

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I would say the Malinois is something like the Border Collie. To say they are hyper isn't always true. Some are and others aren't. It depends upon the lines and what you allow them to do. VERY ACTVIVE dogs they are. For the type of person who sits at home watching TV and wants a lap dog, this ain't it! [-X

The dog needs exercise, a job, and lots of social training. It is a herding breed and as such all herds MUST be worked. Failure to do so will produce an animal that will cause you to find new four-lettered words! :-o

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
1. How much time do you actually spend working/training a Malinois per day? Is that every single day? If so, do you guys have jobs and a family?
Would 30 minutes per day + 1 schutzhund session per week be enough?

I have a Malinois and a LabX. I work a 9 - 5, M - F job. Dogs stay home in the house while I'm at work.

During the week, I spend at least 30 minutes in the park every morning before I go to work playing ball and doing a bit of obedience. Some nights I drive to the dogs to a wooded area and let them run off leash for an hour or so, but not every night. I try to get out to Schutzhund training at least once during the week as well.

Weekends are usually a long walk mid day off leash with a friends GSD's and training on Sunday.

Ronan is three now and much less demanding than when he was younger. From about 6 months old to about a year and a half, I went every day for at least an hour to the off leash trails to run or to play ball. Every day. Rain, snow, summer heat, feeling sick - we went, because if we didn't he was a huge pain to be around.

If I'm not at work or training, I'm usually at home with the dogs.

Can it relax with you while you watch a dvd without jumping around and trying to climb up the walls? Yes

Squirrels and bunnies are fair game for chase. At least one squirrel has lost that game. House cats are boring. It took about a week for a new cat to stop being of extreme interest and become boring. Strange cats get chased out of the yard. I wouldn't trust him with small pets. Has also gone after and left some nasty bites on a friend's sheep.

5. Does it try to bite children all the time? No, he likes kids, and is pretty social in general, however, he is careless with his teeth when playing and can be bitey when excited, so I am careful around kids.

6. Is it really like a German Shepherd on crack (please be serious... have you ever seen someone one on crack before? - it's rather intense)?
More like a GSD with ADHD. Busy. Easily distracted. Nose into everything. Center of attention.

House dog. Sleeps on the bed. Passed out on the couch right now.

I'm looking for a pet/part-time schutzhund/family protector/best friend to hang out with me when I do stuff type dog. Will a Malinois be content with that? Or does it really need to run 5 miles per day?

I adore my Mal. He is unlike any dog I've owned, but he is very high maintenence. Yes, he can be relaxed and quiet, but he is no couch potato, content with a walk around the block. He can also be annoying, barking incessantly and wanting to play. He is from working lines, but was selected by the breeder as a pup to be a pet. He is too much dog to be an easy pet. I started schutzhund with him because he needed something to do, and I wanted the obedience. He has lots of drive, but as a competitive dog, he doesn't really have what it takes.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Some of this depends on the lines, some breeders prefer dogs that can relax while others like crazy ones. I don't like hyper, to me this means a lot of silly energy with nothing to back it up. I did a lot of research to get Cyko, and then worried rather intensely because he was TOO good and TOO well behaved as a pup, and never did anything I disapproved of. Havoc has been the complete opposite, so far.

1. How much time do you actually spend working/training a Malinois per day? Is that every single day? If so, do you guys have jobs and a family? Would 30 minutes per day + 1 schutzhund session per week be enough?

I try for at least an hour of intense exercise per day per dog - that is, combined or separate, in one chunk or in several short sessions. Walks don't count. It has to be intense, tiring them out mentally or physically, to keep them sane. And keep in mind, a high-drive intense mal will kill himself rather than stop working, so you have to be the responsible one and stop in time...

2. How much time do you spend with your dog not training, working or exercising (in other words just relaxing) per day?

Whoever I take to work gets to spend the day with me. Everyone else gets what they can mornings or evenings or weekends, as long as they're not driving me crazy. Some days they spend more time in crates, some days they're all out except for an hour or two. It depends.

I trained RELAX as an OB command, so I really can't say if they can... But they will if I tell them to. DVD's are most fun when there's a knock, a doorbell, or an aggressively barking dog in the movie. As far as bouncing off he walls, no. But without sufficient exercise Cyko will pace and pace and pace and shove toys at me (trying to bite me through the toy if I ignore him) and patrol all the doors and windows, barking at stuff, and did I mention pace and pace?? When he's good and tired he is content to follow me around the house and lays down watching intently in case I have something for him to do.

Nope. Every small animal in the house is mine and I lay down the law, and there will be hell to pay. So no, not unless I specifically allow this. Flies are fair game though. And the outdoor watchdogs (not malinois) can hunt critters all they want, and eat them too.

No, but I can't stand children so I avoid them usually.:oops:

Yes, and I really like the intense part. But it can be a bit much if you're not prepared for it. I see the major difference with GSD's is that a good GSD can be calm and quiet unless you tell him to turn it on. A mal is turned on unless you tell him to be calm and quiet. Puppies of both can drive you crazy equally well though :lol:

In house. I have a kennel, which is nice when I want to be rid of a dog for a half-hour or so. But I worry about them harming themselves or thinking up creative ways to get in trouble, they just don't settle. Pretty much the same as what Mike said about Lyka... Crates in the house work much better with them.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Most of the things I've read or heard about Belgian Malinois warn people about how much activity they need and how hyper they are. A Malinois breeder actually told me that they are like German Shepherds on crack cocaine. The way these people are talking, it sounds like I would need to get a treadmill and just leave the dog on there all the time when it's awake! :-o

1. I do about 20 minutes ob/play with my dog almost everyday, you want to combine the 2, play alone does not excercise his mind, and yes I have a job and 2 kids and a wife, 1 session of Schuzhund a week is not enough for the dog to build upon what he learned on the previous session, it is too far apart, you will be moving forward at a very slow pace.
2. My dog stay in the house so I guess he spend all the time with him when I'm there.
3. As long as I want.
4. No killl anything unless I told him to do it.
5. No way.
6. Maybe but I've seen GS with just as much drive as Mal. but them GS sheds all year long, I'm glad I have Mal now, they only sheds twice a year.
7.Yeah my dog live in the house with me.
It just depend on you, how you raise your dog, if you set the rules in the house and be consistent about it and maintain it and be a good and fair leader, and if you have the skill needed to release your dog energy and if your dog truly look at you as the alpha, he will not kill small animals, bite children and all that crap, he will look for signal from you first before he do anything, yes they have crazy drive but also perfect house pet, my dog's drive only turn on when we train, when he is in the house he sleep most of the time, it is me that always bug him and not the other way around, if you think that you can set rules and enforce it correctly then yes get a Mal, btw if you are doing Schutzhund, that will not make him automatic a family protector, Shutzhund is a sport, dogs are trained to bite the sleeve, but it is a great sport to teach you how to train and read dogs.
Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rick,
I have 1 Mal who lives with me permanently and always have at least 1 foster Mal at all times. I can't stand hyper so my 4 year old knows how to be quiet in the house and the fosters learn how to very quickly. Having said that, I walk/run my dogs on average 4 miles at least 4 days per week. I have a path that is 5 miles round trip, surrounded by woods and ending at a nice river. We walk that path frequently and as we go the dogs retrieve sticks from the tall grass (well over their heads) on the sides of the path and swim at the end. I am a teacher so in the summer it is pretty easy to wear them out. When I am working they are in their indoor/outdoor kennels for about 10 hours. I walk them at least 3 times per week and our walk is 4 miles long. I get up early to do this before work. The dogs go to obedience classes once a week and to Ringsport training once a week. When I am home my dogs (fosters included) live in the house with us. They sleep on the floor in our bedroom and hang out with us in general. I do not tolerate hyper or reactivity in a dog and they figure that out quickly.

As far as kids, my female was at my school with me a few weeks ago, teaching 2 kindergarten kids about the right way to approach a dog. She played with my middle school kids all afternoon. I have an 18 year old son at home and she loves him and his friends. She used to go to work with me every Friday when I taught at a group home for boys.

When Georgia first came here as a 8 week old pup we had a declawed, 10 pound, 14 year old Siamese cat who knew he was the boss of all animals. He was an excellent leader-discipling only when necessary. She loved him and was convinced that he could kill her if he wanted to! Until the day we had him put down due to cancer at 20 years of age she repected him completely. On the other hand, our neighbors free roaming cat has learned to stay on her side of the fence if she wants to live to a ripe old age having been cornered inside the fence once by Georgia and my daughters corgi.

I do think that Malinois need a good amount of exercise to stay happy but I really like that, it kicks me in the butt to get my 50 year old self up and moving too!
JEanine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rick, you sound like a nice guy, but part time bitework ? ? ? ? Just get a nice pet. I think you should pass on a Mal.
What I meant by part-time is that Schutzhund would be a hobby or a sport in which my dog and I would participate on a local club level. I would intend to bring my dog to Schutzhund training once a week. But I certainly would not be training to compete in any regional or national level competitions or doing this for a living. That's what I would consider "full-time". Do you think all Malinois owners should be "full-time"?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone who responded. All of your posts have been extremely informative and insightful. Please keep them coming! I am actually leaning towards a GSD now. But I still would like to hear as many opinions and advice from actual owners as I can. Your opinions and advice have been very helpful in my selection of a dog, breeder and type (working line vs pet). Thanks!

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Rick, agility is a "fun" thing to do with your dog. Training once a week gets you pretty much nowhere, so what would be the point??? I took it that you were looking for a pet more than anything else. Quite frankly, a rescue Mal might be the way to go, as they have already proven useless.LOL I was just thinking of a dog that would let a cat "rule" the house. HA HA.

Anyway, good luck with everything, and try a GSD. I love the breed.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Thanks to everyone who responded. All of your posts have been extremely informative and insightful. Please keep them coming! I am actually leaning towards a GSD now. But I still would like to hear as many opinions and advice from actual owners as I can. Your opinions and advice have been very helpful in my selection of a dog, breeder and type (working line vs pet). Thanks!

Actually sound like a rottie would be good for you. It's hard to find a lazier dog.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I am actually leaning towards a GSD now. But I still would like to hear as many opinions and advice from actual owners as I can. Your opinions and advice have been very helpful in my selection of a dog, breeder and type (working line vs pet). Thanks!
Whatever you choose, a "pet" from working lines will be a far FAR better dog than one bred to be "just a pet". Most good breeders are happy to discuss their lines and steer you towards the right dog when you tell them exactly what you want. IMHO.

I think a GSD makes an easier, less high maintenance pet. Just enough slower than a mal that you think you can outsmart him in training... :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Training once a week gets you pretty much nowhere, so what would be the point???
How often do you guys train? All the schutzhund clubs in the area only meet 2 times a week. If 1 is not enough, is 2 enough to make the training worth it? Or are these people doing schutzhund work at home?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I'm not going to go through the hole pro GSD thing but I'm sure your familiar with the term "Mans Best Friend" this is a direct reference to the German Shepherd to be more specific working lines. Though a Shepherd may be a notch or 2 less on the busy scale of a Mal they are by no means a couch potato. A working lines GSD MUST have daily play, training, exercise, challenge. Give them these things and they will think you and your family are god.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
How often do you guys train? All the schutzhund clubs in the area only meet 2 times a week. If 1 is not enough, is 2 enough to make the training worth it? Or are these people doing schutzhund work at home?
For my self I go to club 2 times a week and track at a minimum of 3 times a week I also do some sort of training every day. I don't expect to make it to the big dance podium I'm not that good of trainer but I really would like to show this dog I have now he's a good one.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Like Mike S says there is a lot of homework. i.e. You don't go to the SchH club to practice heeling or other basic stuff at the club you do that at home. Plus a lot of the people that I train with that do SchH track a minimum of 3 times a week on top of what they do with the club. Just going to the club 2 times a week is going to grow your dog like a plant without fertilizer. The club IMHO is for working with the decoy and working with your training director to get the kinks out of your dog's program. If you don't do your homework you might as well forget about going to the club.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
"Most of the things I've read or heard about Belgian Malinois warn people about how much activity they need and how hyper they are. A Malinois breeder actually told me that they are like German Shepherds on crack cocaine. The way these people are talking, it sounds like I would need to get a treadmill and just leave the dog on there all the time when it's awake!
"

we work full time, we have 5 MALS and 6 GSD's, sometimes I train the dogs,sometimes my husband, at least once a week we train together. Training could be obedience, agilitlyl, retreives an jumps, swimming, bite work...but something every day.!!

2. How much time do you spend with your dog not training, working or excercising (in other words just relaxing) per day? not a lot, but with 11 needing exercise, and working it doesn't leave a lot of free time-maybe a little time in the evenings.

3. How long can your dogs relax for? Can it relax with you while you watch a dvd without jumping around and trying to climb up the walls? Depends on the Mal- Hugo,Chico,Tora,and Rebel...Mals, they can sit and watch the dvd, but if you breathe different, shift in your chair, speak or clear your throat...they think it is time to go...could be a minute, or 2.....Tango, a Mal, on the other hand is a couch potato...in the house he is mellow, he loves to sleep in, and would stay in bed for hours....but ..on the field, he is great! Loves to bite, swim, retreive, but will do it on our schedule.... All our GSD's love to hang out, can relax , but are ready to go when you are.

Only one of my Mals...my other mals are fine, Hugo Mal, is a very good herder of cows, and all my Mals except one, don't care about other dogs, unless they are challenged by the strange dog, then it is all Heck breaks out.. I have one animal,dog aggressive GSD...otherwise no problem. So it makes it somewhat easy when we are letting them out.

We don't have kids of our own, but Mals definately need to be socialized appropiately, otherwise they can go through a stage where some can become very nervy...but socialized appropiately they are great. All ours are good with our club kids, and other people.
I guess our GSD's except one, is fine too- but the one GSD...not sure what socialization he had..if any.

I think it depends on the actual dog...Tango, Mal, we got from Paris-his sire is a FR111 champion- is awesome, mellow in the house, past out on the floor by me right now, but he also has done ASR 11, trained for PP, worked a little bit as a security k9, is super social also, has been trained in APPDA-the patrol side, and got his Brevet in FR...Hugo,Chico,Tora and Rebel , all Mals, on the other hand, I would definately describe as a GSD on Crack...and RED BULL and Monster drink...all at once, and yes I work as a Trauma Nurse, seen a lot of losers on crack....:-#
it can be very draining if you don't wear them down a little first. For the first 2 years, I didn't think I would ever get hard head Hugo under control...now he is a blast to work.
It depends on the dog though...I have one GSD, that we just took in 22 months old, bit his previous owners mailman and family member, they gave him back to their breeder- he is a ton of energy, but had NO direction, no obedience, I am sure no socialization...since I have been working him, he is doing awesome- but is a ball of energy also. My other GSD's are pretty mellow.
years back We had one other Mal we got from D.M. from Paris also, Racky...he was older a french ring 3 dog, way to much for us to handle at the time, very handler aggressive and intense, so we gave him to someone that was more experienced than us...which was better for the dog....the point being....they are all different.

we have 2 GSD's in the house, and One Mal, Tango in the house...we tried to have Hugo in the house, but he is only good in a crate, as long as he doesn't see or hear you move-once you do, that's it...time to go go go......\\:D/the rest of our dogs are in an air conditioned kennel with indoor and outdoor runs. (but the Mals needed toppers on the runs, otherwise, up and out they go...6 foot high is nothing to them.)
but grooming wise- Mals are much easier to maintain...as far as brushing, washing, and seem resistance to fleas - and I must say, I personally love the intensity, but they aren't a starter package dog. I think if you can handle a Mal, successfully, you probably can handle any breed of dog. It has made my kenneling business easy ...dealing with all the breeds and temperments. good luck Mo

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Neither of the two mals I had stayed long. I realize not all are like the ones I had but the envoronmental issues drove me crazy. If they were in drive they did fine. If not, they seem to worry about everything that moved. My GSDs have always accepted anything I've exposed them to with little or no adjustments needed.
I've heard a number of people refer to the Jack Russell Terrier as a Mini-Mal. I've had many working terriers over the years and all but one of them have had absolutely no issues with environmental stuff.
The comparison stops with the high energy level of both.
Aside from the Mals I've had,most of the ones I've seen seem to be in workaholics and have a harder time just being a dog then the GSD. . My GSDs and most I know and have seen are more into sharing and being part of a pack.
I also think a working line GSD is more user friendly for a new dog owner.
All JMHO! :wink:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts