Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a question here but..I cant respond fast enough lately before a topic is locked. :p I had some good comments too. :twisted:

[Mod Question: This topic seems like an unrelated topic, what does this have to do with a previously locked thread? Or are you just being cocky?]

I went to a ringsport club a while back.I was just watching.From what I understand they were good at it.I was horrified!My dog would not get out of the truck at a place like that.I didnt even want him watching.Pretty weak stuff and all the members acted like they were scared of an aggressive dog.I think they thought I was a hillbilly...hmmmff..snobs. :roll: :p

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Before it gets locked, where are you going with this? Just wondering.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cmon Woodman,I was just wondering what other ring clubs were like.At this one it was all a big game.The one dog I kinda liked was considered to be making a mistake when he started to get a little serious.I mean I know its a sport but even the Schut clubs were more practical than this one.Whats the prob?Im not naming any names or saying where it was at and no Im not trying to incite another "sport vs.real" thing.Since I havent been around alot of ring,I was just curious.Hold it..hold it..get your finger off that delete button! :roll:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Greg Long said:
I was just wondering what other ring clubs were like.At this one it was all a big game.The one dog I kinda liked was considered to be making a mistake when he started to get a little serious.I mean I know its a sport but even the Schut clubs were more practical than this one.
That's relevant, though it seems kind of obvious to me that it may have looked like a big game because ringsport is kind of a game. What you posted initially was unclear, and I didn't want to start the day off with yet another thread on why sport dogs are useless. You intiating a post about how you were horrified about something you witnessed and didn't want your dog to watch didn't really get to a point that anyone could respond to clearly.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
What was the relevence to referencing locked threads? It made it sound like you wanted to reply to a thread that is now locked, but this is a completely seperate topic to any thread I can think of that was locked.

Thus, I have retitled your post accordingly ;)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woody Taylor said:
Greg Long said:
I was just wondering what other ring clubs were like.At this one it was all a big game.The one dog I kinda liked was considered to be making a mistake when he started to get a little serious.I mean I know its a sport but even the Schut clubs were more practical than this one.
That's relevant, though it seems kind of obvious to me that it may have looked like a big game because ringsport is kind of a game. What you posted initially was unclear, and I didn't want to start the day off with yet another thread on why sport dogs are useless. You intiating a post about how you were horrified about something you witnessed and didn't want your dog to watch didn't really get to a point that anyone could respond to clearly.
I was being a bit sarcastic about the horrified part.Just saying that it was the total opposite of what Im used to.Sheesh.....

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
<<<.Pretty weak stuff and all the members acted like they were scared of an aggressive dog.>>>>

To your question: This is a good endorsement of why it's important to research a club prior to joining. I would think this one example is like anything else. You can't always draw a conclusion about a long standing sport, or the people that participate by one club. These people may well have joined together as kindred spirits and may well be afraid of well trained dogs. I'm sure there are other clubs that would be a better representation of the sport.

As for snobbish, well, in the dog world there can tend to be a bit of that regardless of where you go. One way I've always dealt with snobbish behavior is to participate as freely as I wanted, make my comments, stand my ground. I usually don't train dogs to make friends or worry about how other people act. I add my expertise and take from the other participants expertise as I can.

DFrost

1 - 7 of 7 Posts