Working Dog Forums banner

What do you consider to be our most valuable source of training tips today?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you consider to be our most valuable source of training tips today?

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
most important training resource

Although many of the choices listed are extremely important, I have to go with my breeder/trainer, as the most valuable resource for me. He's helped me out since 1980 or 81, & has always been there, especially for the hard stuff!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hello All,

Since I've yet to visit a trainer (Placerville & Modesto, CA are soon my
visiting spots!), and not enough cash for those GREAT/AWESOME Leerburg
DVDs, my only options have been this forum, and the GREAT/AWESOME
Ed Frawley/Leerburg articles.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Tough question. I have some great videos, worked with some great trainers, great folks on forums, but I think I'll have to go with books. I spent the first 10+yrs of dog training by reading, reading, reading. I'm still using them to learn. Course now, the DVDs and videos are pretty much the same as yesterdays books. HMMMMMM! Still nothing like kicking back and reading a good book.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Martin Espericueta said:
Hello All,

Since I've yet to visit a trainer (Placerville & Modesto, CA are soon my
visiting spots!), and not enough cash for those GREAT/AWESOME Leerburg
DVDs, my only options have been this forum, and the GREAT/AWESOME
Ed Frawley/Leerburg articles.
i highly recommend placerville.... :wink:

303 Posts
Sorry, but I'd say none of the above...

Ín my opinion, the best reference would be...

First you think it. Something you haven't done before or something you always wanted to do. Then hook up your dog and work it. Test it... Test it again... test it again...

On your way home, just as you thought you have the answers, there comes the "what ifs". Evaluate the "what ifs". Realistic? Worthy of training?

Then hook up your dog, get back to the field again, and work it... test it, re-test it...

Now you have the best first-hand tips and training reference for all time...

Again, just my opinion...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree with Al!

To me you can learn the most from the dog.Our mindset should more to learn from the dog than to teach.

Greg

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Greg Long said:
I agree with Al!

To me you can learn the most from the dog.Our mindset should more to learn from the dog than to teach.

Greg
Cesar Millan agrees with you too. He often says dogs teach us more than we teach them.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Well this is the way I look at it.....

Everyone hits a snag once in a while... this question wasn't about "the primary source of training instruction"... but "hey if u hit a snag, where do you like to turn to get some input from other people who might be able to tell you a different or more appropriate way to try teaching something to your dog?".

Everyone has their own way of teaching the "Out". What if the way you think of doesn't work, n you try a few things, but nothing seems to improve your dogs out... so you find someone who's successfully taught the Out a different way... this can be either a friend, a trainer, a website, a forum, a book etc etc etc.

The only way to learn is to go out and do things with your dog and learn from your dog ... but sometimes it's difficult to convey what you want to your dog. A while ago I spent so much time trying to teach my dog to "shake hands", nothing I did got it thru his thick skull that I wanted him to lift his paw! So I posted on a forum, n Lou Castle responded telling me to apply pressure to his shoulder till he raises his paw, then reward. My dog caught on in 3 repetitions! I would have NEVER thought of doing that.... but I found a source of training TIPS that taught me how I could best teach my dog something that I couldn't figure out.

Forums are my best source of training tips... but I go out there and figure out as much as I can on my own... forums are not my 100% instruction, but merely a place where I can pick up on ideas from other people who've already done what I'm trying to do.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Mike Schoonbrood said:
Well this is the way I look at it.....

Everyone hits a snag once in a while... this question wasn't about "the primary source of training instruction"... but "hey if u hit a snag, where do you like to turn to get some input from other people who might be able to tell you a different or more appropriate way to try teaching something to your dog?"......
I had to pick "books," because that was how I got started and that's where I learned the basics, and where I still do learn how to decide I need a video or a forum! ...........there was no internet when I was learning obedience on my own. Now it's forums, but it will take a while to catch up to the books.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well for a Novice person like me in the world of dog sport/ training- I would say in the order of priority- Books- Forums- Websites- and Breeders/ Trainers. I would not have been able to learn anything from my dog without the help of books and forum on training, heath and behavior.
Without forums, articles and websites information, I was not able to understand and comprehend training tips from breeders/ trainer.
It is like learning mathematics or driving. :wink:
Unless you attempt to solve a problem yourself, you won’t understand the concept and unless you are behind the wheels, you will never know the way.

For a person more acquainted, I would say it would be Breeder/ trainer- Books- Forums and Websites.

Rashmi

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
:eek: Hey! I know that secret! :lol:
I'd have to give it to Mike on this one. I think knowledge of dog behavior can only be taught so far. IMHO, a lot of it is instinctive. We've all probably seem people that have been "training" dogs for years and STILL don't have a clue as to what the're doing. The book says this, or so and so told me this. While we all learn that way, some never realize how it's connected to what they are doing with the dog.
This was the primary reason I left SAR. To many of these people in charge.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Bob Scott said:
I'd have to give it to Mike on this one. I think knowledge of dog behavior can only be taught so far. IMHO, a lot of it is instinctive. .......
Rereading the original poll question, I bow to Bob and Mike.

But it was reading books that first opened the door for me to pack structure and leadership. Way back when, I didn't have the instinct to let dogs be dogs, and I think on my own (no books) I might've made the same mistake so many pet owners do: using people psychology on dogs.

Once that door was opened and the lightbulb moment happened (and for me, it took more than one book :oops: ), and I had a whole different point of view, then common sense and instinct became trustworthy.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Bob Scott said:
I'd have to give it to Mike on this one. I think knowledge of dog behavior can only be taught so far. IMHO, a lot of it is instinctive. .......
Rereading the original poll question, I bow to Bob and Mike.

But it was reading books that first opened the door for me to pack structure and leadership. Way back when, I didn't have the instinct to let dogs be dogs, and I think on my own (no books) I might've made the same mistake so many pet owners do: using people psychology on dogs.

Once that door was opened and the lightbulb moment happened (and for me, it took more than one book :oops: ), and I had a whole different point of view, then common sense and instinct became trustworthy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I voted trainer, but I would have preferred "breeder" I learn most stuff from my trainer, the group we train in, and from fora, but if I really don't know what to do with a situation I would (and have...) definately call the breeder.

303 Posts
I agree with Mike, too. COMMON SENSE. In man's quest to receive recognition, it often becomes the most uncommon of all.

Books too are a rich source of information, and inspiration as well. It's inspiring to read of ancient dogs handled by ancient people who may not know the definition of drives, pack leadership or any modern scientific training we enjoy now, yet able to understand their dogs very well to fully utilize them (dogs) for their very own existence. They likewise knew that constant reiteration of the same exercise, the way most do now, would paralyze the mental powers of a dog, that the dogs are indeed intelligent creatures that would know in a glance the state of his handler's soul, that training, not routines nor drills, penetrate the very soul of a dog. Yes, the ancients would be mocked as ancients if they exist now, yet their dogs rode the pages of history, in both war and peace.

To one who yearns for these once-great dogs, it indeed becomes very interesting and worth all the time trying to know how they do "training", if indeed it could be called training at all...

Just my opinion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts