Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the German word for "ridge," as in a mountain ridge? The translations I'm finding are translating the word "comb" for ridge. :?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Kristen Cabe said:
Does anyone know the German word for "ridge," as in a mountain ridge? The translations I'm finding are translating the word "comb" for ridge. :?
Maybe kante (edge)?

Or gebirgskante (mountain edge)?

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Kante sounds similar to dutch meaning "side/edge", german being somewhat similar to dutch, I'd make a guess n say that makes sense, if you clarify that it's an edge belonging to a mountain or something.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I'm wanting to do is change Jak's registered name from "Running T's Jak," which sounds VERY American, to "Jak from the Blue Ridge", in German. This is what the online translator is giving me:

Jak vom Blauen Kamm

which, if I plug it in and translate it back from German to English, translates to "Jak of the blue comb." :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Ah yes, of the Blue Comb kennels in the mountains of germany where the women don't shave and the leg hair flows long, hence the blue combs.

Can you change his name just like that? Don't breeders get annoyed if people change the dogs name? Cujo's registered name is Elko :lol: I don't care.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
edge is kant/rand in dutch.

if I translate Ridge to dutch it is Bergkam, translated to German from english and dutch it is indeed Kamm

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:lol: :lol:

A one-time change in the name of a dog, whelped in the United States and registered with the American Kennel Club, will be permitted. That is provided that the dog has not produced or sired an AKC registered litter or received an award at an AKC licensed or member event.

The dog must have first been registered by the breeder(s) of record, and the breeder (s) must agree to any change in name.
I don't think Jak's breeder will mind, but I DO have to have his permission to change his registered name through AKC, so I guess I'll find out if he cares or not when I ask him. That's going to be the hard part, getting in touch with the guy, since he lives in Alaska. When I got Jak, I actually had to fill out all the paperwork, and just kept the "Running T" part since that's what was on Jak's vet record, but I could have registered him as anything, according to my TD, who is actually the person I bought Jak from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts