Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd put this in the herding section, but it's got photos in it so :)

Cali and I went to an AKC herding trial this weekend. She was entered in HIA-s and HSA-c both days. Passed her HIA-s with 1st place both days, and the HSA-c with a 3rd on one day. The second day she put in a MUCH better run on cattle IMO, but for whatever reason she didn't Q. Supposedly I ran into a "breed bias", according to the other competitors. I haven't been doing this long enough to know LOL. Oh well, it was only her 3rd and 4th time ever working cattle (my instructor doesn't have cattle), I entered her looking at it more as just a training experience than anything else. Q's were an "extra"

The cool part about this trial was how many breeds were out there competing. There were the normal BC's of course, and since it was an ACD sponsored event there were quite a few ACD. But there were also Beauceron, Malinois, Tervuren, Aussie, GSD, Standard Schnauzer, Bouvier, Briard, Mini Aussie, Rough Collie, Rottweiler, and a Dobe. There were also sheep, cattle and ducks, so a little bit of everything going on.

I tried to get photos of some of the less common breeds, didn't get everyone though. There was lots of proper herding going on also, but proper herding makes for boring photos :) The good photos are when things aren't going quite so smoothly.

These are just a few from the weekend, there are more online at
http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/malndobe/Herding_Trial_4_07/

Standard Schnauzer

Briard

Cattle Dog

GSD

·
Registered
87 Posts
Great photos Kadi! Also, well done on your results.
I've been trying to motivate to go and do some herding and those pics might be just the thing to actually follow up on it.
How often do you train for this? I'm guessing you do alot of prey/bite development for your ring work and do you think that makes it more difficult for your dog in this sport?
Some really nice photos of other breeds as well. I love the Briard.
Scott

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, I just figured they had the same "exemption" as the Rott, Standard Schnauzer, Samoyed, etc. It's also possible the dog wasn't entered, I was going back and forth between 3 different arenas so I didn't get to see every dog trial and assumed it was there to trial. I've seen Dobe's herding before, but don't remember what venue it was.

Forgot the mention the cute little Sheltie who was also there, and did a super job.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Those are great! There aren't any herding opportunities around here; I wanted to see about getting a HIT on my two, but I'm not interested enough in it to travel out of state for it.

I do know that a herding dog is supposed to have a pretty high prey drive, though, from speaking to people who are experienced in it. I honestly think Jessie would be great at it, but we'll probably never know.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
One place I visit each year at the county fair, is the sheep herding demonstration. It really fascinates me. I don't really know that much about it, but I've often said, when I retire, I might just give it a try. Thanks for the pictures.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How often do you train for this? I'm guessing you do alot of prey/bite development for your ring work and do you think that makes it more difficult for your dog in this sport?
I only get to train once a week. Well, I could train more, but my bank account can't afford it :)

I do a lot of prey development, but along with that also comes lots of control work. I've taken almost every Malinois I've owned herding at some point, and haven't seen the prey be an issue. Sure they want to chase and bite at first, usually, but they also understand "get OUT of there" or a down or recall command. And they understand it while in a high state of "ethusiasm" because of the FR work.

Nexxus is the first dog I will have tried raising doing both herding and FR at the same time. So we'll see how that goes. But I don't expect to many problems, she has an abundance of drive, but is also pretty sensitive to me so I don't see control being to much of an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts