Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really trying to put off working with the dog this morning :lol: so I just wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving in case you're off-line tomorrow spending time with loved ones and food and stuff.

In any case, enjoy it, it's such a great holiday. My second-favorite, right after Boxing Day. No gifts to buy and not a lot of ceremonies...just taking a moment to be happy for what you got.

Happy Turkey Day! And watch out for those deep fryers, those things are death traps.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Woody Taylor said:
Happy Turkey Day! And watch out for those deep fryers, those things are death traps.
Jeez, I heard that there were some obesity issues in the US, but I didn't realise you guys were now deep-frying your turkeys :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the holiday....

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ian Forbes said:
Woody Taylor said:
Jeez, I heard that there were some obesity issues in the US, but I didn't realise you guys were now deep-frying your turkeys :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the holiday....
Ian, deep fat turkey fryers combine three all-American concepts: our respective loves of fried foods, propane, and explosions. Assuming you can cook a turkey without blowing up yourself or a loved one, you get one awesome bird (it really is good, assuming no pieces of burnt skin from the cook and bystanders got in the oil).

And they are ridiculously dangerous and I'm kind of surprised they've not been pulled off the market. Check out the video, you'll get the idea after the first 30 seconds or so...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqemKVTf_38

·
Registered
512 Posts
Superb piece of kit :lol: - whoever invented that should be forcibly given skin grafts to see how he likes it (assuming he didn't need them when developing this bomb).

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Of course we are talking turkey here, but they are also very good at doing catfish, squirrel, wabbit, I mean geez these are some handy dandy instruments. Oh sure, they can be a bit dangerous, particular after the second six pack, but a culinary delight in every way.

DFrost

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David Frost said:
but a culinary delight in every way.
Second that. Best turkey I have ever had. Too bad about the drunk guy who made it.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
What is thanksgiving day exactly? A feast, being gratefull for ??, and a lot of turkey eating with has to have a filling...this is about all I know-from the movies-.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Selena van Leeuwen said:
What is thanksgiving day exactly? A feast, being gratefull for ??, and a lot of turkey eating with has to have a filling...this is about all I know-from the movies-.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

Read this, it's probably the best overview. Really my favorite holiday. Not a lot of expectations other than to relax, which is something Americans are really bad at.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...I used to work for a French guy when I was at GE who was doing a job rotation in the States. He loved it so much he still does it back in France...does turkey, cranberry sauce, the whole deal.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Woody Taylor said:
Selena van Leeuwen said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

Read this, it's probably the best overview. Really my favorite holiday. Not a lot of expectations other than to relax, which is something Americans are really bad at.
Hah, and if you read that article, one of my favorite Thanksgiving Day facts: President Roosevelt moved the holiday up earlier to allow for retailers to sell more stuff before Christmas (seriously). Very American of him. The day after Thanksgiving is also known as "Black Friday" to American retailers...it's the theoretical first day of the year they turn a profit, or "go into the black," for the entire year. Huge sales and everything. Which aren't very relaxing at all. You'll always hear about some fights breaking out very early in the morning when stores open and people fight over junk they want to buy.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Two years ago, at MY :evil: house, my son-in-law did a fantastic job on the deep-fry turkey.
It was so good that the fire on MY :evil: deck hardly disrupted the day. You can barely see the charred area with the new paint. :evil:
Course the area that didn't burn had a bit of trouble taking paint because of all that peanut oil. :evil:
Did I say it tasted geat?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob Scott said:
Two years ago, at MY :evil: house, my son-in-law did a fantastic job on the deep-fry turkey.
It was so good that the fire on MY :evil: deck hardly disrupted the day. You can barely see the charred area with the new paint. :evil:
Course the area that didn't burn had a bit of trouble taking paint because of all that peanut oil. :evil:
Did I say it tasted geat?
Heh, like I was saying, in a world where you can no longer buy lawn darts, I'm amazed that they are still being sold.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
!!Lawn darts!! I'm a big believer in our God given right to maim one another for the sake of family fun. :lol:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hey anything is dangerous if your not carefull! :lol: I love deep fried turkey. Im in the process right now of injecting my bird and getting it ready for tommorrow. I perfer to inject two days before but it needed some more time to thaw. LAWN DARTS!!!! Now that was a FUN game! We thought it was more fun just to throw them up in the air and run around and try not to get hit! Yeah, I did some smart things when I was a kid! But now I have grown up and I let dogs bite on me!!! :p

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jay lyda said:
LAWN DARTS!!!! Now that was a FUN game! We thought it was more fun just to throw them up in the air and run around and try not to get hit! Yeah, I did some smart things when I was a kid! But now I have grown up and I let dogs bite on me!!! :p
I keep waiting for my kids to get big enough to start to act like me when I was a kid (well, kind of me now :lol:) and view most things around them as something to break/blow up/bury/shoot/bite. I am excited for this day because I consider it a green light to beat them senseless with various objects. The first time I come home to a live recip saw in the garage tearing through support beams...will be a beautiful, beautiful day. :lol: Started my day out today with three messy diaper changes in the first half-hour, one tantrum over crackers, and a run to the store for diapers and milk...god, let those kids get into my tools soon. :lol:

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Good thing they haven't outlawed bullets. A fun game when we were kids was to toss a handful of 22s in a fire then stand behind a tree and listen to them pop.
The dumb(er) kids liked to take a peek now and then.
Luckily, back then we didn't need parents to by neat stuff like bullets.
SIGH! The good old days! :lol:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Bullets in a fire! :lol: Once dad caught me sawing open a 12ga shell, I told him that I needed the powder because I was making a bomb out of a tennis ball. I thought that it was a good idea, but he didn't, did ya dad? :D Yeah I still have a scar on my arm from having bb gun wars in the woods too. My wife has the fear of my boys growing up and doing the stuff that I did, I don't know why, I tell her that I survived and by the way, YOU married me! :lol:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jay lyda said:
Bullets in a fire! :lol: Once dad caught me sawing open a 12ga shell, I told him that I needed the powder because I was making a bomb out of a tennis ball. I thought that it was a good idea, but he didn't, did ya dad? :D Yeah I still have a scar on my arm from having bb gun wars in the woods too. My wife has the fear of my boys growing up and doing the stuff that I did, I don't know why, I tell her that I survived and by the way, YOU married me! :lol:
Man, that is so weird, I was reading about this today:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/mishaps/tennisbl.htm

All we ever did with them was make tennis ball mortars and stuff. My dad has me beat...he "accidentally" shot my uncle in the face with a shotgun, shot him a few years later with a bb gun and took out an eye, and dynamite was commonplace in the NC backwoods when he was a kid. He and my uncle took a diamondback rattler to show and tell one day and buried the family goat one time because they were bored. Nothing I ever did even came close to the crap he used to do. Evil, evil kid. And one reason for the five-state rule. It's really amazing he has any backside left whatsoever.

Of course, this translated to absolutely no understanding once he had me and I started goofing around. As it should be. :lol:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
It should be noted that the specific incident that caused lawn darts to be made illegal also involved beer.
:oops:

I bought my 13 year old cousin an air pistol for Christmas. I figure those little plastic pellets that they shoot are slightly safer than real BBs, so if she does okay with it, her birthday present might be something a little better. :twisted: Adam has his FFL, so the sky's the limit! :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts