Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took some flack from certain sectors for crossbreeding my airedale, Geronimo, to a stag hound but sometime you just gotta do what ya gotta do. A lot of those same people that were booing and hissing are pretty quiet now. Here is a picture of one of the pups at 11 mo. The first animal is a coyote, the second the cross pup, the rest are seasoned staghounds bringing up the rear. The fellow that has this dog said that the pup was a straight up kill dog and in in his experience, he has never seen a dog with this much fight that wasn't a real danger to the other dogs....I guess we will have to wait and see when he matures some. Do you know how fast that pup has got to be to be on that coyote and in front of the stags?

And for your viewing pleasure, this site belongs to the fellow that owns the pup, Larry Bull is his name.

http://www.geneticspecialties.com/articles.html

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Lurchers rock!
The traditional lurcher is a sight hound x collie. The Brits have done it for many a year and originally they were poacher's dogs. Fast, silent and very "efficient".

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the rest of the story to that picture Bob. I contacted Pete up in Wa. last night as he posted the picture and brought the stags to my place to be bred. I asked him why the other three dogs don't appear to have hit a stride abd the darker of the three looks more like it is standing there. I told him it looked like they already caught the coyote and had had enough of it. Pete said that was "exactly what happened. He said those stags are faster than the 11mo old cross and they caught the coyote first for a few seconds.....in which time, every one of the three got cut up so they let it go. That short few seconds put the cross pup on the seen and he blew by them, as is pictured, while they were regaining their composure and the coyote was making good his escape.....almost. The pup did catch him right after the picture was taken and killed him without taking any damage. Larry is planning to cross the pup back for a 1/4 stag I believe to see if he can pickup some of the original stag speed but hang onto the airedale killing ability.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Question...is this analogy right? A staghound is to a Scottish deerhound as an Alaskan husky is to a Siberian husky? I hadn't heard of a staghound before, though Scottish deerhounds are neat dogs.

Edit: oh okay, just looked them up on Google. Kind of like lurchers...cool.

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maren, there are greyhound lurchers and whippet lurchers. They are usually crossed with, say, collies to make them more biddable. The racing varieties, called hot bloods, have to be crossed a number of times [prior just to get rid of the track feet so they can course across natural ground. The American stag hound is any of the sight hounds such as Saluki, Deer hounds and such that is crossed to a greyhound. The cross breed is picked for what trait is desired. The saluki is normally considered the best for endurance if I am not mistaken.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
To clarify it even further.
A lurcher is a cross between a sight hound and any other non-sight hound breed. Some don't consider them lurchers if they don't resemble a sight hound.
A long dog is a cross between two different sighthound breeds. The Stag hound would be considered a long dog.
Collies are the most common lurcher cross but, as Don's pic show, many other breeds are used.
The whippet is often crossed with a Border Colie or a Bedlington terrier.
At working terrier shows in Great Britian thy are often shown in conjunction with lurcher shows.
I've seen a few lurcher shows here when I was active in working terrier shows.
As Don said, the Saluki is most often crossed for endurance.
MOST lurchers are used for hunting rabbits or fox, at night, with flashlights. In most states over here, hunting with lights at night is illegal. If the idea is to hunt fox, then a terrier or bull breed will be in the lines.
Greyhound x Airedale sounds like an pretty awesome combo for coyotes.

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bob, while it is hard to tell in the orinal picture, the airedale/staghound cross really favors the greyhound in appearance. All in the litter did. Another stag was brought down from Idaho and the litter came out mixed. Some favored the greyhound and some favored dogs in the stags background. Here is a picture of one of the females at about 7 mo. You can see the deerhound in her.....or maybe it's the airedale? She has the airedale armament as did most, if not all, of them. If I was twenty years younger, I would seriously try to breed this dog for type. Just love the looks and she has the airedale roughness.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
:eek: Ain't nobody gonna mistake that for no show dog.
DAMN, I love it! I want one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
this is cool info guys--keep it up for those of us that will probably never be personally involved in varmint hunting, but always interested.

i know that in western NE, ppl use some sort of greyhound X to hunt coyotes, and it's pretty big business. but i have no idea as to the crosses...that airdaleXstaghound bitch looks just like she should for the cross.

i personally love a varmintdog; my old labX bitch is one of the best i've had ( :wink: ), and my Dobe hates a coyote, and between the 2 of them, i have no coyote problems out here, where i can hear them singing in the spring/summer within 1/4 mi. but they never bother my property/livestock. the Dobe will plumb run them clear out of the county (almost--it's a pretty big county 8) ); the labX'll kill them if she catches them. in this part of the country, that's a blessing--they aren't romanticized 'cause we are still part of the wild, wild west. 8)

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
ann freier said:
this is cool info guys--keep it up for those of us that will probably never be personally involved in varmint hunting, but always interested.

i know that in western NE, ppl use some sort of greyhound X to hunt coyotes, and it's pretty big business. but i have no idea as to the crosses...that airdaleXstaghound bitch looks just like she should for the cross.

i personally love a varmintdog; my old labX bitch is one of the best i've had ( :wink: ), and my Dobe hates a coyote, and between the 2 of them, i have no coyote problems out here, where i can hear them singing in the spring/summer within 1/4 mi. but they never bother my property/livestock. the Dobe will plumb run them clear out of the county (almost--it's a pretty big county 8) ); the labX'll kill them if she catches them. in this part of the country, that's a blessing--they aren't romanticized 'cause we are still part of the wild, wild west. 8)
Ann, be very careful about letting your dogs run coyotes. The'll bait a dog off it's property and double up on them.
My buddie's Dalmation used to go crazy and chase every coyote it saw.
Hardly leaves the porch anymore. No tail, no nuts! Ugly, ugly dog. Whimpers like a puppy when it hears coyotes howling now.

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bob is right there
. You can rest assured, if they willingly stand and fight, the advantage is all theirs and heavily so. They rarely enter into a fight, willingly, where the stand a chance of getting hurt. They can size up an opponent quickly. If they stick, your dog is in trouble unless he can run and fight to the house. If he doesn't cut n run for home, he won't be coming home. Coyotes are two fast for most dogs to fight effectively.....and the dang things can open their mouths to where the upper an lower jaw line up vertically just about.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Many years ago back in the UK my 14yr old whippet cleared two eight foot fences to mate with a airdale dog.The pups from this litter were deadly. The best of the litter killed 100 foxes her first season and went on to become a notorious deer killer.
As to lurchers heres a pic of one of mine a Austrailian shepherd/greyhound

I will have a litter sired by him in May. The bitch is a 1/2tazi 1/4greyhound 1/4bordercollie.

All the best Terence

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Terence, nice looking dog!
The falcons are also used with terriers for hare hunting. The little terriers can easily get in the heavy brush and flush them.
Seems the Lurcher would be awfully close on the hare's tail in order for the falcon to do it's job.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Terence, nice looking dog!
The falcons are also used with terriers for hare hunting. The little terriers can easily get in the heavy brush and flush them.
Seems the Lurcher would be awfully close on the hare's tail in order for the falcon to do it's job.
Actually rabbits(not hares) are flushed with terriers for hawks(not falcons), a lot of eastcoast falconers hunt this way.
As to the lurcher being too close to the hare for the falcon to get in a shot, let me post a vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVuPK8e49IA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmUqZ4H7i28

I hope you like. Terence

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Thanks Terence!
I'm amazed at how the dogs respect the falcon.
I reciently saw a video on youtube about wolf hunting with Golden Eagles in Mongolia. Freakin unreal!
The eagles were actually taking out the wolves. :-o

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Terence!
I'm amazed at how the dogs respect the falcon.
I reciently saw a video on youtube about wolf hunting with Golden Eagles in Mongolia. Freakin unreal!
The eagles were actually taking out the wolves. :-o
A serious golden eagle is a sight to behold. I have seen them catch deer in the Czech republic. Here in the US wild can and do kill coyotes and antelope. I have had them come in on my falcon on kills but my lurcher bluffed it out standin g and barking at it. The eagle left to find something easier i'm sure it saved my birds life. Had the same situation with coyotes too, the desert can be a dangerous place.

all the best Terence

·
Banned
466 Posts
Terence, that's some interesting stuff you do. It's amazing to see the dogs and the bird "cooperate" like that. Question; from what I've seen of falconry the handler doesn't let the bird feed on its own rather he feeds it. Why do you let the bird feed on its own?

Don, what is a staghound?

BTW here's the vid of the eagles hunting wolves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmUqZ4H7i28

1 - 20 of 34 Posts