Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping that among the vast experience on this board that I could get some helpful tips on selecting a bloodhound puppy. One of the agencies that I train is starting a bloodhound program. I am refering them to a few agencies in the area that have programs already in place but I am going to try to help them in any way that I can. I figure this is a good opportunity to learn about another area of dog training (bloodhounds) that I have not experienced yet.

So.......has anyone selected bloodhound pups, and trained them for tracking? I somehow think that my puppy testing for police dogs is not exactly going to apply. My initial thoughts are that the dog is not going to be toy driven so I will probably need to rely on food. Never seen a high prey or toy drive bloodhound running down the field, but that would be a hell of a sight!!! (haha) I once watched a Baltimore County bloodhound track and the reward was a can of sardines at the end of the track. It was messy but effective! Those of you that have worked bloodhounds, did you do the footstep tracking with food?

Like the title of this thread suggests...for me....this is a whole new animal! Any info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Remember the guy from Oklahoma??? They used coondogs to gather up escaped convicts rather effectively.

http://www.leerburg.com/forums/ubbt...3907&Words=****&topic=0&Search=true#Post36860

and

http://www.leerburg.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/36860/page/0/fpart/1

QUOTE from the thread (just to show off): I am a a trooper with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. I just found this forum and read your post.I have been running Bluetick,Redbone,Black&Tan crosses for two yrs. END

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I disagree about the Bloodhounds being useless. It would depend on where you get them, just like any other dog. Not all GSD's will make a good police dog, not all bloodhounds will make a good tracker. When get your dog from someone that raises them and starts them for tracking, they are tough to beat. I still think they'll track a popcorn fart in a blizzard and stay on track longer than the majority of pointy eared dogs.

DFrost

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
i'd email the trooper in OK, and doesn't Konnie have a bloodhound? gregg, take a quick look at the SAR part of this forum....
but that guy in Ok seems like he really knows his stuff...

·
Banned
11,728 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have a redtick coonhound, ya'll remember ole Hank, he is six months now and doing great with the tracking. That dog has a ball doing this stuff too. He has a good nose and is doing well, but we still have a looooong way to go. How old is your bloodhound and what have you been doing with him so far? I'll have to post some pics of him soon so everyone can see him again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The handler has not picked out a pup they have just received approval on funding. So, for those of you that are familiar with the hound breed, what do you look for in a pup if you wanted a good tracking prospect?

These dogs would be mainly looking for kids and the elderly. They tend to wander away from time to time.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I concur with the coonhound recommendation. I have a buddy with a redbone coonhound that is training for **** hunting competitions (and also a buddy with a redtick, but Jay already mentioned him :) ) and we had a long talk about it when he was getting his puppy. He had to look hard to find the breeder he wanted, but the dog rocks. VERY high drive for the track, very nice (or as much as I can tell, it's not my area of expertise.)

It would seem to me that with bloodhounds, you would face the same problem as you would with, say, a working dobermann. If the dog's from lines that have been used for show and enough work to put some titles on a pedigree, you might not be getting the best dog you could get for actual utility.

Also, the coonhound is smaller than a bloodhound, has less congenital health problems, and therefore has a longer expected life span, all of which would be beneficial for a PSD.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I would put a good tracking ******* against a bloodhound any day of the week.

Just to point out, the chances of getting a good ******* to do the work is higher than a blodhound. To many myths and falsehoods surround those dogs.

I also realize that it is hard to get people to see this, but we had dogs that could track that popcorn fart in a windstorm as well. : )
I don't know what you base you assumptions on Jeff. In your experience, you may well have seen coonhounds outperform Bloodhounds. Mine experiences are the opposite. I've seen some find coonhounds work. Had two myself. In fact with the ***** they treed and a few traps I ran, I bought my first car. As for tracking people on sustained tracks in rough territory, I've not seen anything that would surpass the ole floppy eared dog. I'm sure that's only because so many of them are in use. Maybe it's just a southern tradition, but then **** hounds and hunting are also a southern tradition. None-the-less, they are the predominate dog, around here, when it comes to purely tracking.

DFrost

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
The big thing about hounds is, "they have a compulsion to track". That is what they do if they are at all decent. They track from sun up to sun down. IMHO, you don't teach a hound to track. If you have to teach them, get a different dog. You may have to teach the style of tracking you want, and may have to teach them scent discrimination of sorts, but when it comes to natural tracking dogs, hounds rule. Tracking is what they do just like a pointer pup points. Worry about teaching them some etiquete and style, but you don't have to teach them to track because a good dog is born tracking.

·
Banned
5,567 Posts
As a side note, the American Blue Gascon is a blue tick that in many ways would remind one of a blood hound. They tend to be big dogs capable of straddling a cold track all day. The English dogs, red ticks and blue ticks, are smaller and move a track faster like a walker. Bloodhounds are track straddlers. Some of the Gascons and bloodhounds will run tracks so cold that you have to sit down and wait for the dog to catch up to you. Most hunters don't like hunting with the track straddlers because they are way to cold nosed and the game is miles away to start with, but, they will track it for days. For man work, they can't be beat I would think.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You are right Jeff, there are too many tales about the bloodhounds abilities, however I have ran tracks with several teams, corrections, our sheriff's posse, for several years since retiring here in the south, and I am very much impressed with their "TRUE" capabilities.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
The reason there are so many tales about the Bloodhound is purely because they've been around so long. Then again, one of the reasons they've been around too long is because of their durability. Considering health and duribility, ours is 11, can still do a 3 miler. Of course I don't make the claims of tracking people from a vehicle or 2 year old tracks either. In fact we rarely train on anything more than a couple of hours old. Bloodhounds are a lot like any other breed as far as getting one that wants to work. We don't worry all that much about pedigrees etc. It's a matter of what it can for us, not where it came from. I've found the best bet is an established kennel, that breeds and start their own pups. Usually they start them tracking at 7 to 8 weeks. If you know someone, the Alabama Prison system has some unbelieveable tracking dogs. When i say unbelieveable, it's because I've been there, behind them and still had a hard time believeing. When it comes to pure tracking, I'll take a good bloodhound any day. I've got more miles behind a track dog that I care to think about, and I still think they are hard to beat.

DFrost

1 - 20 of 25 Posts