Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've introduced myself a long while back, never really posted much here but have been lurking quite a lot. I didn't have a dog then and haven't had one ever, until now!

I've been attending a local DVG club full of great people and fun dogs, and will be a member, probably as soon as the rain stops long enough for me to go back up there. It's a blast to read about schutzhund, but something else entirely to see it in person, especially when the dogs are clearly having fun. My plan was to get a GSD pup for schutzhund, but that plan has been pushed away by a chance find from Petfinder/1-800-Save-a-Pet.com. The 17 month old female I'm adopting this weekend will be my learning dog as well as my teaching (me) dog. Maybe I'm going about it backwards, starting with this breed and THEN going on to a GSD. What breed, you say?

-
-
-
Keep scrolling.....

-

-

Drum roll......

-

-

Need I say more? :grin:

Her name (I'm going to change it) is Crystal, and yes, she's a Dutchie. In the short time we've met with her, she's fetched for me right away, showed that she was definitely a bit ADD, and even showed a bit of good focus! She does seem to be sensitive to the handler, reactive with correction and praise (in other words she's handler-sensitive in a good way), and she LOVES to be petted and scritched. What a sweetie. I don't know how she'll do for schutzhund as I couldn't get hold of anyone to do an eval, but I think there is potential. Even if there isn't anything there for the protection phase, there are the other phases and even other sports. Wish me luck though, she is my first working dog and first dog in general. It's going to be hairy... in many ways!

A HUGE thanks goes to Mike Schoonbrood for his help and advice! :)

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
There's no shame in having a rescue dog as a learner. ;) Especially not in one as lovely as she is. My long term foster Malinois would be such a fun sport dog, but she's got nerve damage issues. I'll just do rally and maybe some light agility with her if we end up keeping her. Have fun with your lovely girl!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerry, I sure have, I've read the posts here on and off and there is much knowledge afoot!

Thank you all, I'm very happy with her. I don't feel bad at all about starting with a rescue, in fact this is a great way to learn a LOT and learn FAST. Also, I won't feel bad about ruining a $1500 puppy! She and I are both starting off at a handicap; she has her history and I have my lack of experience. We're in this together.

Her name is now Aizen (I-zen), and if I need a fancy name for registration or anything, her registered name will be "Tora Inu Aizen" which pretty much means "Tiger Dog Aizen." It might change to allow for adding my name if need be, but that's what we're running with thus far. Tomorrow I pick her up, head to Petco or Petsmart to do a self-bath and dry (get all the shelter stuff off her), and then we go from there. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Diana,
Oh I'm so thrilled for you. It's a serivice to the breed when you rescue. My first dog was a malx from the pound. The only problem truly is that can you only have one?? I look forward to hearing all the updates..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts