Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im interested in maybe getting a Beauceron within the next couple years. I know that they are supposed to have the double dewclaws on their hind legs but I wondering if they cause any real problems.
Ive heard of multiple people saying that if your not showing your dog you should have them removed because they are so easily ripped off. But Ive also heard if you keep them trim they wont cause any problems.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Im interested in maybe getting a Beauceron within the next couple years. I know that they are supposed to have the double dewclaws on their hind legs but I wondering if they cause any real problems.
Ive heard of multiple people saying that if your not showing your dog you should have them removed because they are so easily ripped off. But Ive also heard if you keep them trim they wont cause any problems.
I don't remove the dew claws on my Dobermanns. I figure if
God didn't want them to have dew claws they wouldn't be born with em :)
I've never had any problems with injuries and think they give extra gripping power ;-)

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I don't remove the dew claws on my Dobermanns. I figure if
God didn't want them to have dew claws they wouldn't be born with em :)
I've never had any problems with injuries and think they give extra gripping power ;-)

Have you seen dewclaws on a Beauceron ? Nasty . I can see why , they have an extra one . We trained a couple as PSDs several years ago and had them removed . Don't know of anyone that actually had problems with them catching on something but we didn't take the chance .

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Have you seen dewclaws on a Beauceron ? Nasty . I can see why , they have an extra one . We trained a couple as PSDs several years ago and had them removed . Don't know of anyone that actually had problems with them catching on something but we didn't take the chance .
Beaucerons are just long haired Dobermanns aren't they? :)
I had a friend who had a Beauceron with dew claws and never had a problem. I just have a problem with removing stuff off of any dogs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had 3 Beaucerons and never had a problem. From talking to others injuries are rare. They are not typical extra dewclaws in that they are only connected by skin. On the Beauceron there is bone/joint in there and it would be major surgery to remove them. It's definitely not necessary. Briards and Great Pyrenees also have similar double dewclaws. And of course you do need to keep them trimmed just like the rest of their nails ;)

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I had 3 Beaucerons and never had a problem. From talking to others injuries are rare. They are not typical extra dewclaws in that they are only connected by skin. On the Beauceron there is bone/joint in there and it would be major surgery to remove them. It's definitely not necessary. Briards and Great Pyrenees also have similar double dewclaws. And of course you do need to keep them trimmed just like the rest of their nails ;)
You are correct about that surgery . It's not something to be taken lightly .

·
Registered
291 Posts
Both of my Beaucerons actually use those extra dews for gripping. My female even uses her front dews, mostly to grip while she is trying to shake hands with you.They are all very well developed and jointed.

We do herding and they haven't caused any problems so far.

I do have to admit, the first time I saw them move while she was sleeping I got a little creeped out!

Kellie

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
They are not typical extra dewclaws in that they are only connected by skin. On the Beauceron there is bone/joint in there and it would be major surgery to remove them.
I think it depends on the dog. I had a Beauceron who had very nice rear dewclaws, really did look like and extension of the dogs foot and had a connected joint in there. Laid flat and snug against the leg. However, I've seen many Beauceron with double rear dews that are clearly just connected by soft tissue, they are floppy and stick out. Those are the ones I'd be concerned about injury with, although I don't know how common it is. If an owner didn't want to remove them, and was worried about an injury, a quick wrapping with vet wrap would keep them from getting snagged on something when in a high risk situation.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
My old GSD/Mal cross had double dew claws and never had a problem with them. He did tear a front dew claw once. His new owner hasn't reported any problems. You just had to trim them every so often.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Didn't know Dobes had two huge ugly ass dewclaws . :) I hear you but those things give me the creeps anyways and something that ugly has got to go .
guess that would mean you would decapitate a bull terrier if you got one as a present :)

imnsho, amputating dew claws falls into the same category as clipping ears and chopping off tails to make a dog look "better" or cooler..... everyone knows a real protection dog should never have their claws trimmed

actually, just building up my post count to get beyond the "ankle biter" label and maybe become a landshark someday :)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I've had the breed for more than 20 years and haven't had a problem with the dew-claws getting torn on my dogs. We have a lot of brush in the areas that I hike and horseback ride with the dogs and never had a problem. We never had a problem or heard of a problem doing ring sport (palisade, etc.) either.

I've heard of very few situations of torn or bleeding hind-dews, and it's usually the nail bed and not serious. However, just yesterday, the co-owner of one of my females mentioned that the dog broke the toe of one of the hind-dews she thinks. It's swollen. She figured it was injured in the yard playing with the other dogs that morning, but doesn't know. Not bothering her much though as she showed her yesterday to a Best in Show win at a local UKC show so didn't affect her movement or attitude.

The removal isn't as simple as snipping the flimsy hind-dew that occasionally is found on a GSD, Rottie, or Mal pup. It is bone connected to bone so removal would have to be done by a vet imo.

The double-dews are part of the breeds history and I don't see the standard changing to allow for dogs misising dews or their removal. They are a breed characteristic that is considered a sign of the race and purity.

That said, if I could wave a magic wand, the dews would not be held in such regard and I'd love it also if all my Beaucerons were born with upright ears like a Malinois and didn't have to undergo ear cropping for the look that I and many others prefer.

When considering getting a Beauceron for work, the possibility of the dew-claws getting torn would not be a concern for me. You will get a lot of remarks from the public regarding the dews. Quite the conversation piece as people ask about them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Here you can see all of Avatar's back toes including dews in contact with the Palisade wall (French Ring trial - National D'Elevage in France). This was a few years back when Tim Welch was competing at level 2 with Avatar O.V.

Below you can see him pushing with rear toes:

another palisade at FRIII:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've not had any problems with my Beaucerons dewclaws.
Never had them snag on anything dispite all the crazy stuff she does.

Them being able to move them took some getting use to.
Maybe that's part of why they don't get snagged/torn as so many people seem to think will happen.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here you can see all of Avatar's back toes including dews in contact with the Palisade wall (French Ring trial - National D'Elevage in France). This was a few years back when Tim Welch was competing at level 2 with Avatar O.V.

NICE photos of toes in action :-D
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
NICE photos of toes in action :-D
Thanks for sharing.
Welcome. On the vids, you can see better. Tim has a bunch of videos of Avatar if you go to the page I made for Avatar and scroll part way down there's a bunch of youtube links: http://www.pawsnclaws.us/avatar_ped.htm

I think Tim may have more too so once you are at youtube you can search through tim's vids as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome. On the vids, you can see better. Tim has a bunch of videos of Avatar if you go to the page I made for Avatar and scroll part way down there's a bunch of youtube links: http://www.pawsnclaws.us/avatar_ped.htm

I think Tim may have more too so once you are at youtube you can search through tim's vids as well.
Aw yes, ive been kinda stalking your web site and videos for a while now :p and Avatar is defiantly one of my favorite dogs. Ive already watch all his videos, he is just an amazing worker and I hope that my Beauceron will be as great as him

1 - 20 of 23 Posts