Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we still managed to get in some training between Christmas and New Years, albeit mostly on ATV or rig as the the snow cover was miniscule, but it was a great improvement over the mud and rain we have been getting

a friend's leaders showing a little enthusiasm

same team getting under way

my clunkers stumping along in low gear....

I would like to issue a general plea for everyone to do a snow-dance or sacrifice a chicken to the snow gods or something to get it to snow here!

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Great pics Lynn!
Aside from one bad ice storm, the above average temps down here haven't been good for any snow but I'll be sure and dance neked in the full moon for snow to start and STAY up there. :wink:

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Love them pics and love them huskies! An online friend of mine who is from Ontario who runs her Sibes recreationally is wanting the same thing. Denver and thereabouts stole all the snow. That's what I used to like living in Denver is though even though it would snow, it would usually be sunny by the next day and get to melting pretty fast. Maybe not if there's that much...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike - Most people start out with ATV training in the fall as you have lots of control and braking ability and can control the speed at which the dogs run with the engine. ATV's are nice as you can do "speed-up" training easier - allow the dogs to run faster by helping with the engine or use the engine to brake. My ATV has no engine- so I can only speed up my team by adding dogs, so not so good for speed training, but as I don't race i am not too worried about speed. The first two pics I posted are of a race team. Most mushers want to switch to sleds( which have much less resistance) as early as they can safely do it - which is when there is enough snow to hold a "snow hook" - which is an anchor-looking gizmo that can hold the team in place.
Last nights rainstorm has removed all traces of snow so it is back to mud-wrasslin' huskies as we have had so much rain this fall there is water everywhere. Everyone is pretty bummed - the guys that are training to race as races are already getting cancelled, tour outfitters are at a standstill, and noone is buying any new equipment(so I got lots of free time to spend running dogs in the mud) It's still fun but would be funner on snow with sleds!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Oh Wow......That looks like so much fun. Wonder if I could teach the dober-kids to be mushing dogs? Hmmm......The way Rommel pulls me on a bike...he might be up for it!

Great Pics! That looks like a blast.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Were I live it is close to the beach, and sometimes people do some training with the sleds and dogs as well. its really nice to see, but I guess nothing can compare doing it in the snow!

May be you can start with this Amanda! look like fun.

·
Registered
331 Posts
How fun does that look! Unfortunately I'm fresh out of chickens to sacrifice in hopes of snow for you. I'll try a snow dance as well as long as none of the white stuff makes it to Texas. :)

Elly Elsenaar said:
Were I live it is close to the beach, and sometimes people do some training with the sleds and dogs as well. its really nice to see, but I guess nothing can compare doing it in the snow!

May be you can start with this Amanda! look like fun.

We saw a competition on this about a month ago on tv, I don't remember what they called it though...it looked like a lot of fun and people had all sorts of dog breeds they were using for it. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts