Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pups are hardly seen under heavy smoke and explosions...

Enjoy...

303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are actually 4, all under a year of age....

Best regards...

·
Registered
286 Posts
ann freier said:
have you considered turning this into one of those 500-1000 piece jigsaw puzzles?--it'd be a killer :lol: 8)
Very Good one Ann..... You had me LOL.

Jose,
What was the object of the exercise? What were you doing? (My eyesight is bad during foggy day's).

Robert

303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ann freier said:
have you considered turning this into one of those 500-1000 piece jigsaw puzzles?--it'd be a killer :lol: 8)
Darn, I shouldn't had sharpened the picture.... :lol:

Waldo not here... It's Sumo... 10 month old Mal, all calm and steady

Best regards...

303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Robert Blok said:
Jose,

What was the object of the exercise? What were you doing? (My eyesight is bad during foggy day's).

Robert
Just as it is in the picture, Robert, exposure to terrains, fire, smoke, explosions, water, etc. etc.

I remember reading an article about Schutzhund in the early days, when dogs were made to track with explosions just inches away and dog goes thru the track under heavy smoke. The dog should be undistracted.

Well, gone are the days...

Best regards....

Al

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
So how do you train up to puppies sitting next to explosives? And what happens if one of them is not calm and steady before, during, or after the exercise? Do you cull them?

Also...have to throw this in as good-natured teasing...are they not reacting because they are deaf at this point? :twisted:

303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Woody Taylor said:
So how do you train up to puppies sitting next to explosives?
You don't train pups/dogs to sit next to explosives, Woody. You'd rather work them to indicate and get the hell out of there.

And what happens if one of them is not calm and steady before, during, or after the exercise? Do you cull them?
No, Woody, you work them. That's the beauty of failures.

Woody Taylor said:
Also...have to throw this in as good-natured teasing...are they not reacting because they are deaf at this point? :twisted:
It's ok, Woody. It's not you without teasing. Malicious or not, I'll just dismiss it. :lol: :lol:

They may have been deaf to begin with. You don't work deaf dogs, Woody. You cull them.

Best regards... :wink:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I'm actually quite serious, Jose, you post this stuff, I'm genuinely interested in how you build up to sitting 10 m.o. pups around explosives and smoke. What do you do if they get distracted? What's distracted in a situation like this? Looking at where the explosion comes from, etc.?

You're saying you want them to indicate and get out of there, I think you are describing a different skill than what's being represented in the picture, which appears to be making sure they sit while explosions are going off and while they are enveloped in smoke (per your description).

Just wondering what the training purpose is and how you train UP TO it. And what counts as a failure, etc.

303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woody Taylor said:
I'm actually quite serious, Jose, you post this stuff, I'm genuinely interested in how you build up to sitting 10 m.o. pups around explosives and smoke. What do you do if they get distracted? What's distracted in a situation like this? Looking at where the explosion comes from, etc.?

You're saying you want them to indicate and get out of there, I think you are describing a different skill than what's being represented in the picture, which appears to be making sure they sit while explosions are going off and while they are enveloped in smoke (per your description).

Just wondering what the training purpose is and how you train UP TO it. And what counts as a failure, etc.

First I said explosions, not explosives as you interpreted it. Explosions or loud reports with ensuing smoke may be expected in any negative situation; gas leaks in a collapsed building, exchange of gunfire, a sudden clasp of thunder while doing rescues on a bad day, teargas, etc. If the dog gets distracted or uncomfortable, tell him it's okey and lie still. The dog/man team must remain focused and functional at the work even againts overwhelming odds, not only on slippery floors.

That's the best way I can put it....

Best regards...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think what you dont see in Al's pics is the handler side of the team.The dogs or pups learn to trust the handlers through communication and the application and removal of stress.

When a dog is distracted they are corrected and directed back into the work.I dont think there is any "building up" to these excersises beyond the normal foundation building.These excersises are still just the very basics which lay the groundwork in both handler and dog to be able to deal with many real situations in the future much easier than if they were never exposed to such environments and situations.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Cool pictures. When I lived in Oregon, every year during the 4th of July I'd stock up on smoke bombs and other fireworks. Then we'd used them throughout the year for similar type situations, just to get the dogs used to really thick/acrid smelling smoke, the nasty sounds many of those column type fireworks make, etc.

The nice thing about the smoke bombs is you can put them in little metal cans then light them all off, almost anywhere. Since the can reduces any fire hazard. Although we usually played it safe and just lit them off in the dirt or sand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts