Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,168 Posts
indeed!

what's the point? the only point i can see in the excercise is perhaps training the dogs to go to an alternate target when their target of choice is already "occupied".

or building up the decoy :) "quasi-witty", i know, tim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,973 Posts
would something like this ever cause targeting confusion with dogs? Just wondering. A dog used to always attacking the arm now going for the leg, etc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woody Taylor said:
would something like this ever cause targeting confusion with dogs? Just wondering. A dog used to always attacking the arm now going for the leg, etc.
it shouldn't. it's ok for a dog to have a preference of where they like to bite, but if that isn't there, they must bite whatever is available...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,973 Posts
Tim Martens said:
Woody Taylor said:
would something like this ever cause targeting confusion with dogs? Just wondering. A dog used to always attacking the arm now going for the leg, etc.
it shouldn't. it's ok for a dog to have a preference of where they like to bite, but if that isn't there, they must bite whatever is available...
How is that trained in (is it trained in formally in PSDs, that is, to retarget to anything availible if the first option is not there)? Just dumb questions, sorry, I don't know anything about it.

And one other question. Does that kind of dog ever end up targeting faces? This isn't a loaded question, I just always wonder how many PSDs/MWDs actually go for heads. Or why they don't.

Edited to say I understand why face targeting would be extremely undesirable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Woody Taylor said:
Tim Martens said:
Woody Taylor said:
would something like this ever cause targeting confusion with dogs? Just wondering. A dog used to always attacking the arm now going for the leg, etc.
it shouldn't. it's ok for a dog to have a preference of where they like to bite, but if that isn't there, they must bite whatever is available...
How is that trained in (is it trained in formally in PSDs, that is, to retarget to anything availible if the first option is not there)? Just dumb questions, sorry, I don't know anything about it.

And one other question. Does that kind of dog ever end up targeting faces? This isn't a loaded question, I just always wonder how many PSDs/MWDs actually go for heads. Or why they don't.

Edited to say I understand why face targeting would be extremely undesirable.
how is it trained? set up bites where the dog has to bite area you want. for upperbody dogs, you can pick up a trash can and hold it up waist high, forcing the dog to either bite the legs or he doesn't get a bite. with a leg dog, you can stand in the trash can and force him up.

the reason why faces aren't commonly bitten is because that is where most people will defend first. most people will put their arms up to protect their head. on a passive suspect who doesn't move at all, head/neck bites do occur, but not because it is something we teach the dogs to target, it just happened to be readily available and perhaps the first thing the dog saw.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ann freier said:
so IS this done to train the dogs to go to an optional target?
my department doesn't do it. bottom line is i don't trust the other two dogs. i suppose we could do it in muzzle first to see if any disagreements erupted between the dogs.

so i guess the answer to your question, i think it is "no". since we don't do it, i can't speculate on why others would other than the fact it make a cool video. the three handlers in my department all work different shifts so sending all our dogs for real would never happen. so why train for it?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top