Working Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told not too long ago that there are 43 canine drives.I was wanting to see if anyone here can name them all.. :?

I dont want definitions or explanations..just name them will do nicely.. :lol:

This has really been bugging the @#$% out a me... :x

G

·
:roll: :roll: :roll: Oh Lord! How many forums do you need to provoke? :p

I find this interesting, too, as the basis for the assertion is completely ridiculous. Even if the statement that there are 43 drives were true, saying that not every dog has all of them just contradicts everything; if they're there, they're there. It all goes back to the definition of "drives" too. I hate the word, personally, b/c I think it confuses people. No one agrees on what a "drive" is or if certain ones exist. I'd like to hear 10 of the drives, just to start with. Then I'm going to bed because I'm tired. Or maybe I have excellent sleep drive :p .

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
ok...not saying i agree with all of them, but here are exerpts from an article my trainer provided in a manual (i think he wrote it). it's on different aggression drives:

Affective:

1) territorial
2) pain induced
3) fear induced
4) intermale
5) social (dominance)
6) protective
7) maternal
8) learned
9) redirected
10) irritable

Non-affective
11) sexual
12) predatory
13) play
14) idiopathic

ok. i just looked again and these aren't labeled "drives" but "Types of Canine Aggression". i believe my trainer believes in 3 drives (food, sex and shelter). yes, just confirmed it. these are the 3 "drives" that he believes in for dogs.

if anyone wants the definitions for any of the above listed types of aggression, i will type it out (too much to type all of them)...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool...keep em coming.I wont sleep till I know all 43... :x

I think Ill stop training dogs till I have a grasp on all of them... 8)

G

·
That's exactly what I mean about drives vs. types vs. instincts vs. whatever....

Those, to me, an idiot, seem more like types of stimuli causing aggression. Territorial-someone has stimulated the response by invading his space. I don't call this a drive. He's not out looking for invaders; it's a reaction to stimuli.

However, this list (food, sex, shelter) sounds like a much more reasonable basis to go on if we MUST break down drives and their effect on canine behavior into freeze-frame images. I hate these discussions, but they're like a bad car accident....

These three are all, IMO, inborn into all creatures for the continuation of the species. Food is necessary, procreation is necessary, and shelter is necessary. This reminds me of Maslow's (it was Maslow, wasn't it?) Heirarchy of Needs.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
And they'll fight for food, fight for sex and fight for shelter.
:oops: :lol: :oops: Did I say that with my outloud voice?!
Sorry! I just got carried away. :D :wink:
I would think all the "different" drives that are talked about would come from those three basics.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Jenni Williams said:
Those, to me, an idiot, seem more like types of stimuli causing aggression.
i retracted my statement that they were "drives". if you read at the bottom of my post, they are listed as "types of aggression" and not "drives"....

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Although I do train in what I look at as different drives, I think they are kinda like the stars. When someone sees one that nobody saw before, they feel the need to name it. It was always there but it was never "discovered".

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Mike Schoonbrood said:
Mike Schoonbrood said:
Mike Schoonbrood said:
There's no such thing as fight drive.
Yes there is, shut up, you don't know what you're talking about!!!
Wow, what a compelling argument, I guess we should agree to disagree.

OK now that we've gotten that out of our system... back to 43 drives... ;) ;)
if you'll notice, i didn't even go there 8) ..

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think that I'll have to disagree with some of these so called drives like discribed on the Leerburg site. To me these things seem more like character traits rather than drives. Lets not get carried away here trying to break every little thing down and classifying it to its each little catagory. Getting tuned into a dog is not that difficult because they are not that complexed. We all know the basic things that will motivate a dog. I prefer to stick with these basics and try not to confuse myself and not get a headache while trying to train. Not trying to upset anyone, just my opinion and how I feel. I just like keeping things simple.

·
Registered
635 Posts
All the 43 narrow in to ONE...just like the 43 Commandments.

It is 43, right?

Here's my view of THE ONE.

SCRATCH DRIVE...'cause that's what I find my dog doing when he reads lists of drives.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Needless to say, I have a VERY smart dog...due to his amazing Following instinct when he was a puppy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I haven't met an animal yet that couldn't be controlled/trained/managed etc. in some manner using their basic needs in a positive or negative way. I'm with Jay.....I like to go by the KISS method(Keep It Simple Stupid). Who gives a rip what the drive is as long as the dog shows the proper innate behaviors to get the job done. Innate behaviors that insure their survival!

We probably can come up with 43 drives that stim from basic needs if we all put our heads together! Can most likely think of some that aren't in the books :eek: .

Debbie

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im afraid Im not as smart as or not much smarter than my dog.I can only tell when he is serious or not serious. :cry:

I asked him about what drives he has and his official answer was, "I am unaware of any such activity and if I was,I would be unable to discuss said activity". :?

1 - 20 of 170 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.