Airline support
Media coverage
Political support

If anyone has access to any of the above related
resources, please please contact me immediately. It
isn't long until Saturday comes and these dogs' time
is up.

Thanks! Tess Stinson --- Please see below:

Please forward to DynCorp Programs in Afghanistan .

Any expatriates (only) wishing a FREE Mine Detecting
Dog may have one of 26 dogs available. These German
Shepherds and Belgian Malinois (Belgian Shepherd) are
approximately 6 years old, and at the end of their
working lives. These are pure-bred animals that have
spent nearly 5 years clearing mines and are highly
disciplined. They will ALL have a very high drive, and
love to chase a ball, their “reward” for finding a
mine.

Any person accepting one of these dogs must agree to
ship the dog to their home, or take it with them when
they leave Afghanistan . As I said, these are pure
bred animals. Keeping them here would create
competition with the breeding program in country.
Recipients will be personally responsible for shipping
and other costs associated with transporting the dog
home.

This is an opportunity to own an extremely well
trained dog that was valued last year at $12,000 each.
The harsh reality of the useful lifespan of a working
dog makes the dogs unsuitable for mine clearance this
year. Any animal not placed by this SATURDAY will be
euthanized in order to make kennel space for new dogs.

Any persons interested may contact me at:
[email protected] or may call me at 0799 598 046
for details.

Regards,
Lloyd Carpenter
Project Manager
Weapons Removal and Abatement - Afghanistan

+93 (0) 799 598 042

*****MOD NOTE*******
We have no authoritative backup to the post, so research and background checking is probably advisable before committing resources.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. I don't know anything about it; it was posted on another shepherd board and I passed in on just in case it was true, because of the portrayed urgency.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
It is actually a very clever scam. They stuff condoms full of opium poppies into the detection dogs' stomachs and ship them. The customs guys are always fooled...after all, dogs sniff each others' butts and chase their own tails and lick themselves all the time.

Clever people.

Thanks, folks, I will be here all weekend.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Woody Taylor said:
It is actually a very clever scam. They stuff condoms full of opium poppies into the detection dogs' stomachs and ship them. The customs guys are always fooled...after all, dogs sniff each others' butts and chase their own tails and lick themselves all the time.

Clever people.

Thanks, folks, I will be here all weekend.
Yeah, tip your waitress.

Woody, isn't someone calling you? :lol:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I asked the person that posted it on the other board and they said they couldn't authenticate it, but they'd contacted Mr. Carpenter and said that "the contractor, Dyncorp is located...in Irving, TX. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyncorp"

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Al Curbow said:
Doesn't sound right to me, some kind of con, or just plain old BS
Yes, I agree, Al. I searched pretty diligently for something authoritative.

That's why I inserted a mod note.

But if anyone comes up with authentication, we'd love to get it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Try emailing? [email protected] Irving,Texas , dont expect too much cooperation though.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Before anyone decides to put out any money, let me check a few things. i've gotten dogs from GAP. They are a reputable organization out of Texas. I've met the guys that run it. What they do is envieable work. I've mentioned them before. I'll not be able to contact them until Monday, but I certainly will first thing Monday. I just recieved an email from this Wednesday of this past week, but they didn't mention to me anything about these dogs. I'm always suspect about anyone trying to raise money that is using a hotmail address. It may be legit, who knows, but I know my BS radar is making noise.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I have sent an email to the organizers of GAP. I'll post any comments they have on this subject.

DFrost

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the response that the person who had posted this story on the board I took it from got from Mr. Carpenter when they e-mailed him:

Dear ******,

I’m afraid that there a lot of facts that weren’t quite straight in some of the emails floating around right now. Somebody got “creative” in their editing of the forwarded emails. These are the facts: there were 26 dogs retired at an Afghan non-profit agency, but those were all adopted locally by "Internationals." Thank you neverthess for your concern.

Best regards,

Lloyd

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Here is the response I recieved from GAP.

DFrost

FYI
We have a number of dogs that came out of other Agency that GAP placed with Dept
that could use them.Places where they did not have to work as hard but a few hours a week
in school and small police Dept. I know you do the same. Below is the last email sent out to all the people that tried to help letting them know that the dogs are OK
Please cross post if you have any people wondering what happen.
Iam sure on the web the story has Had twists. Remember we are K-9 officers and have to deal with the hard decision from time to time but give the dogs a chance and give us more than three day to do something.
Any luck with a picture of Buster?
Let us know about the next class when you need dogs.
Thanks Chick

BELOW LAST EMAIL SENT OUT TO ALL CONTACTS.

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:15:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Afghan dogs update
To: [email protected]

Feb 24, 2007
Hi again all,
All 26 dogs are alive! There was such a massive e-mail campaign and concern shown that enough westerners in Afghanistan (most there working with U.S. NGOs) were able to show up to the kennels at the time that Mr. Carpenter suggested on Saturday morning and take all of the dogs. Hooray! Since I know how this information super highway goes, please forward this message on to whomever you forwarded my previous message to so that we all stay current.

I'm delighted about the happy ending to this short term crisis. However, more action is needed. 1) We want to help the program Mr. Carpenter works with to develop a long-term solution, since they will have more retirees as well as 1-year old wash-outs that need homes in the future, and 2) We need legislative changes in order to mandate private contractors to re-home dogs that are unable to serve.

Over the next couple of weeks, we will better know how to take steps towards these efforts, as we talk with Mr. Gardner with the GAP program, who already has irons in the fire about these regards.

This will be the last email that I send out to the lot of you! Thanks for your patience. If you are interested in remaining updated or being part of the process, please send me an e-mail so that I can stop bothering the rest of you! If you have special talents or connections that would help towards the goals above, and you'd like to be involved, please mention that in your e-mail.

Thank you,
Aimee

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Here is the response I recieved from GAP.

DFrost

FYI
We have a number of dogs that came out of other Agency that GAP placed with Dept
that could use them.Places where they did not have to work as hard but a few hours a week
in school and small police Dept. I know you do the same. Below is the last email sent out to all the people that tried to help letting them know that the dogs are OK
Please cross post if you have any people wondering what happen.
Iam sure on the web the story has Had twists. Remember we are K-9 officers and have to deal with the hard decision from time to time but give the dogs a chance and give us more than three day to do something.
Any luck with a picture of Buster?
Let us know about the next class when you need dogs.
Thanks Chick

BELOW LAST EMAIL SENT OUT TO ALL CONTACTS.

Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 11:15:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Afghan dogs update
To: [email protected]

Feb 24, 2007
Hi again all,
All 26 dogs are alive! There was such a massive e-mail campaign and concern shown that enough westerners in Afghanistan (most there working with U.S. NGOs) were able to show up to the kennels at the time that Mr. Carpenter suggested on Saturday morning and take all of the dogs. Hooray! Since I know how this information super highway goes, please forward this message on to whomever you forwarded my previous message to so that we all stay current.

I'm delighted about the happy ending to this short term crisis. However, more action is needed. 1) We want to help the program Mr. Carpenter works with to develop a long-term solution, since they will have more retirees as well as 1-year old wash-outs that need homes in the future, and 2) We need legislative changes in order to mandate private contractors to re-home dogs that are unable to serve.

Over the next couple of weeks, we will better know how to take steps towards these efforts, as we talk with Mr. Gardner with the GAP program, who already has irons in the fire about these regards.

This will be the last email that I send out to the lot of you! Thanks for your patience. If you are interested in remaining updated or being part of the process, please send me an e-mail so that I can stop bothering the rest of you! If you have special talents or connections that would help towards the goals above, and you'd like to be involved, please mention that in your e-mail.

Thank you,
Aimee

1 - 16 of 16 Posts