Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fostering a 18 month old female Malinois for the national rescue. Just picked her up from Kansas City yesterday. She's been living on and off at a vet clinic for the last 6 months. She was bred too young and developed "fibrocautalagenous thrombus cervical vertebrae" during the end of her pregnancy. I don't have a vet Merck manual handy so I'm not sure what exactly that entails, but it sounds somewhat similar to a deep vein thrombosis in pregnant women. Her breeder didn't want the prospective puppy buyers to see her limping around and so wanted her put her to sleep. The vet wouldn't do it. She still has a slight limp, but gets around pretty well otherwise. Haven't tested her much for drive, but sport or agility probably wouldn't work because of the limp. I might start her on tracking and see if she likes it. She met some kids and other dogs today and did great. She's not super intense, crates well, is quiet, and settles well in the house, and would probably do well with a fairly active pet home. I can take more pictures if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone would like a nice therapy dog prospect, she's still available. What a nice dog. Here's a few more photos:

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's handler soft and moderately food motivated but doesn't show much interest in balls or toys. She can run almost as fast as the other dogs even with the limp, but jumping is a bit of a struggle, so agility and sport work is probably out. Then again, it may be something that goes away with time. With some obedience and socialization work, she'd be an excellent therapy visitation dog as she's very sensitive to people. I may also start her in Schutzhund style tracking as she seems like she's got her nose glued to the ground pretty frequently.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, nevermind what I said about not much toy drive. She was just not that interested in Orbee or tennis balls. I used a fleece teaser tug similar to these:
http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=558&ParentCat=29

that I hand made out of scraps from making fleece tie blankets and she was like "oh, it's on now!" Went on to a firehose two handled tug no problem. I'll try her on a scent pad later this afternoon. Also, called the vet's office that was keeping her and apparently there was some miscommunication between ABMC rescue and the vet's office. She is actually 2.5 years old (born 12-7-04) and had her litter in October of 2006 (which is still a bit too young IMHO). The vet said that the condition that she has was caused by some cartilage in her neck breaking off and causing some nerve damage, hence the slight limp. But she shouldn't be in any pain (and doesn't appear to be).

Kadi, she should be listed on malinoisrescue.org at some point soon...just sent my blurb and photos into the coordinator yesterday. But I can still send it to you if you like.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just made my very first video on Windows Movie Maker and put it up on YouTube. \\:D/ Couldn't decide where to put this, but...I'll put it on here. This was at a Dog Scout get together and the dogs have already been running around for a good hour solid. Even with her limp, she's still pretty darn fast and still chases around Zoso well. My digital camera is 2 years old, so don't laugh too hard at the relatively poor quality. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi0z6UIGTh8

There's a Therapy Dog International testing in about a week and I might see if I can put her through a crash course in basic obedience enough to pass it. I'm very tempted to keep her actually. Someone please adopt her soon! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts