What is your working dogs reward of choice ?? .. - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » What is your working dogs reward of choice ?? ..

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.

tcat left
What is your working dogs reward of choice ?? ..
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 09-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: IPO
Re: What is your working dogs reward of choice ?? ..

Arson detection dog (Lab) primary reward was food.Best detection dog I have seen.He had been trained by Conn. state police
It was alot of work for the handler as all food eaten by this dog was a reward,so all meals 7/7 were rewards,no freebees and no exceptions for days off etc.

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

re : "Arson detection dog (Lab) primary reward was food.Best detection dog I have seen.He had been trained by Conn. state police
It was alot of work for the handler as all food eaten by this dog was a reward,so all meals 7/7 were rewards,no freebees and no exceptions for days off etc."

not working dog related, but i've used this exact same approach with multiple aggressive dog rehabs.
- it might seem to be a pita compared to serving meals in a bowl, but it gets pretty easy fairly quick
- from the outside looking in, it might appear to be simply a constant feeding session vice training, but i don't see it that way

food can be very high value reward when it's never given freely and a dog who is always a bit hungry can be a very motivated dog.
- never had one lose weight //lol//
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Search & Rescue
My SAR girl is a food reward preferred dog.. And she is dedicated to her job.. I know of about 4 others that prefer food and are certified (several times over) in different disciplines (HRD, area, trail etc).. Some are pointy eared some are floppy
Misty Wegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

re: toy rewards (primarily kongs or balls)
-- what i am curious about is how the toy is first presented to the dog.
to me, that might have a lot to do with how motivated it becomes to work for it

my thought process :
- i assume most toys are tossed (dynamic), rather than handed (static) to the dog.
- that implies (to me) that prey drive is also involved in the "value" department, to chase and get it, rather than just the toy itself being high value

so, has anyone used a toy for reward that did not involve any tossing of iit when the dog was being conditioned to the toy as a reward ?

the only comparison i can make to food is that i have also sometimes tossed the treat, and it often hypes the dog more than just delivering it by hand

Please Register!
Old 09-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: French Ring

I think you are correct Rick re: the prey being the activation. Though my own male I don't have to reanimate the toy I can just give him the 'mark' for reward and he is satisfied by shoving it into his own mouth. No throw required. Though yeah the movement is always exciting for the dog.

I've approached food in quite a different way 1. I'm a RAW feeder so it is hard to feed the dog through little meals that would get enough reps in for meaningful training. So I use kibble in OB but it is something different enough to pay the dog that the dog doesn't feel cheated.

I've only seen a few dogs trained through food only. Even IPO dogs revering blinds for food was something I've seen up close. It worked but wouldn't have been my method of choice, maybe I just didn't understand the method well enough but was interesting to see.

Please Register!
Old 09-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

My early SAR training on my older GSD was all Kong on a rope.

I personally never found any advantage "with this particular dog" over tossing or tugging. He enjoyed it all.

I believe hand held articles such as the Kong on a rope or a tug can develop plenty of drive in most dogs. It's up to the handler/trainer to work the article properly.

How many of us have seen someone say their dog has no drive only to see the dog come alive when the presentation is done correctly.

It's up to us to figure out what creates the high dollar ticket for the individual dog.

Please Register!
Old 09-22-2015, 06:37 AM   #27 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
so, has anyone used a toy for reward that did not involve any tossing of iit when the dog was being conditioned to the toy as a reward ?

One of my trailing/cadaver dogs was initially started as a FEMA dog. He was crazy for coco-puffs ball fixated. Very OCD. I even tried to desensitize him by having balls all over the house but no go. He would take a ball and just chew, chew, chew. When you started a problem, he would smell it on you and just stand there barking and totally fixated on the ball he smelled on you. I then tried leaving the ball back in the car and use as a reward when all done but that was a problem as he would take off at the end and make a dash for the car and go all anal on the vehicle trying to get to the ball. That's when I realized that dogs being 'ball-crazy' isn't necessarily a good thing. People who take dogs and advertise them as potential detection or SAR dogs using 'high ball drive' as one of the defining parameters I take with a grain of salt. It's not all it's cracked up to be and 'high ball drive' can be a PITA to work around when it's made to much of a good thing. I ended up moving this dog to food reward and phased out the ball. Eventually (years later) he eased up enough that I could hand him the ball at the end and he would just tuck it up in his cheek and carry it around.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Dominance Arising

Training: Basic OB

I prefer to use many different options. I want my dogs to be crazy over everything I use to reward

Luca after a long bike ride. I don't use many toys at this stage with him but when I do I like to give him options and let him make some choices.

http://youtu.be/JQGdhEfskQI
Larry Krohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 09-22-2015, 10:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Krohn View Post
I prefer to use many different options. I want my dogs to be crazy over everything I use to reward

Luca after a long bike ride. I don't use many toys at this stage with him but when I do I like to give him options and let him make some choices.

http://youtu.be/JQGdhEfskQI

Nice job!

Luca showed his preference with all three on the ground but that didn't interfere with working with what he was offered.

Pretty much the same reaction for each one when "you" offered them.

Please Register!
Old 09-23-2015, 02:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

VERY nice clip Larry
always love watching Luca

i rarely request videos (haha), but if you could ever get the time, i would REALLY love to see you with Luca in a crowded place to see how you work with him in that kind of environment since as you know i am frequently in a (crowded) concrete jungle with almost every dog i work with

what i am particularly interested in is to see how you balance the drive with non-reactivity around strangers
- meaning : Luca interacting and "doing stuff" with you, but neutral to the busy environment around him
1. in a static position (chilling out at a coffee shop outside table) with the flow of lookie loos passing by who want to meet and pet him
2. and dynamic ...weaving through people coming and going in close proximity to him
...the more interaction the better
- it might look like a boring walk in the park to some but i will FOR SURE appreciate the subtle stuff you are doing when handling him

i've seen your vids that you have posted when he is around kids, so i know he is stable
- just would LOVE to see you working him in the above situations to 'pick your mind' from a distance //lol//

looks like your place is fairly 'rural', so if it's a hassle to find this kind of environment....not a problem at all

but aside from my selfish interests, i'm sure it would help others and give them a goal to strive for

.... i'm sure there are lurkers here who wish they had the same amount of control with their dog but stay away from crowds because they don't //lol//

Please Register!