Training with and without toy - Page 4 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » Training with and without toy

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.

tcat left
Training with and without toy
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #31 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund
Re: Training with and without toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
Patty
is this the backstory ?

"he totally shut down at just over a year old. I mean didn't want to work at all. I think, against my better judgment, I pushed him to hard too fast. He was ok at home, would play like a normal dog but if I asked for simple behaviors he would slick back his ears, hang his head and just stand there."
Yes, that is it.
Patty Beck is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #32 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Beck View Post
Yes, that is it.

I have applied to much pressure in different ways to more than one dog and had disastrous results..and Id bet most people, if they were honest, would admit to the same thing. It sucks having to go back in the training especially with a dog that isnt especially strong. BUT its a great way to learn at the expense of the poor dog lol ...so dont feel like the lone stranger on that end of the leash LOL
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
This is the reason I am here to try to help others for free and I get paid very well to work with these dogs... I am going to address this issue in an upcoming video with the hope it helps prevent this from happening in the future at least for those that pay attention. Sadly its all to common.
A lot of things are all too common. That woman is lucky I didn't knock her ****ing head off. For anyone who has been around long enough to remember that story, they'll remember that this dog was my mastiff. What I did do after that is I took her home and I came to a conclusion, it's one we say here over and over. Work the dog before you. I wasn't, I was trying to work this dog like a GSD.

I didn't understand drives then. I didn't understand that you can't just take any dog that's able bodied and make it do what you want out of sheer will. What I did come to understand is I had one impressive dog before me with a set of natural abilities I never let her explore. That led to an entirely new world (scent) and rediscovery of my love of the outdoors. When I stopped making this dog my muse and instead let her show me what she brought on her own I found that the possibilities are endless.

Brian the truth is, if people want something bad enough they will do everything in their power to get it, including lie to themselves and allow unnecessary harm to be inflicted upon our family members or even with our canine friends. Obviously, I'm not just talking about this in the context of dog training.

My comments about Ice's past and Betty's work with him were not directed at them. It was directed at the fact that people weren't mindful that this wasn't your every day dog willing to work for a toy. Some dogs you can work like a light switch and some, if allowed to work in their element, will work endlessly and do absolutely amazing things. Knowing when you have one and not the other is a start.

Please Register!

Old 04-04-2017, 02:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Other

"I didn't understand that you can't just take any dog that's able bodied and make it do what you want out of sheer will. What I did come to understand is I had one impressive dog before me with a set of natural abilities I never let her explore. That led to an entirely new world (scent) and rediscovery of my love of the outdoors. When I ... let her show me what she brought on her own I found that the possibilities are endless. ... Some dogs you can work like a light switch and some, if allowed to work in their element, will work endlessly and do absolutely amazing things. Knowing when you have one and not the other is a start."

Useful change in perspective.
Meg O'Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #35 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg O'Donovan View Post
"I didn't understand that you can't just take any dog that's able bodied and make it do what you want out of sheer will. What I did come to understand is I had one impressive dog before me with a set of natural abilities I never let her explore. That led to an entirely new world (scent) and rediscovery of my love of the outdoors. When I ... let her show me what she brought on her own I found that the possibilities are endless. ... Some dogs you can work like a light switch and some, if allowed to work in their element, will work endlessly and do absolutely amazing things. Knowing when you have one and not the other is a start."

Thats a great perspective Meg...my wife is always reminding me to stay with the dog that is in front of me and focus on what it brings to the table, Im getting better over time LOL

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg O'Donovan View Post

I think that should be made into a "sticky" about what exactly that saying means. Well, that's what meaning it has for me.

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #37 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
Thats a great perspective Meg...my wife is always reminding me to stay with the dog that is in front of me and focus on what it brings to the table, Im getting better over time LOL
LOL Brian, I'm thinking you're probably overpaid if your wife needs to remind you of this guiding principle in working with dogs.

Please Register!
Old 04-05-2017, 05:56 AM   #38 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post
LOL Brian, I'm thinking you're probably overpaid if your wife needs to remind you of this guiding principle in working with dogs.

LOL she loves the dogs as much or more than I do .... its kinda the same thing as when mom or grandma say "stand up straight and stop slumping your back".... Im still trying to stop slumping over LOL We all need a lil reminder from time to time. Lord knows I do!

Please Register!