training logs?! - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » training logs?!

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.

tcat left
training logs?!
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-16-2016, 02:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Personal Protection
Re: training logs?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
I'm with Brian on logs were only when I was involved in SAR.

The rest is in my head although it has never stopped me reading anything about dog training.

I don't ever want to stop learning!

You work on training pet dogs every day.

Are you familiar with marker training? It's all about having fun with training.

My biggest issue with it, and most training methods, is they don't really address leadership issues.

To many look at marker training as purely positive and "traditional" correcting training as to harsh.

Both ideas are wrong and both can be very "correct" when done properly.

Balance your training with a bit of both.
yes I'm familiar, that is the method I use at work and at home. I'm not one of those "positive only" people. I think its a little unrealistic to think positive only will always work. I think it can be achived but is deffenatly not easy. I use corrections AND marker training with my dog. I am a balanced trainer as well...

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 02:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Great pick me up Nicole! That is a little more inspiring. I figure since I'm pretty green it will help me go in the right direction. My pup is kinds like that in the way one tiny thing changes and he changes. I think its a puppy thing though. He amazes me everyday with how much he has learned on his own. I'm very proud lol

Please Register!
Old 04-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post

With my Dutch, I recorded (filmed) all of her new search sessions and nearly every bite work session. Concerning the latter, we had some issues I didn't know how to properly deal with, so there was a lot of trial and error with her. In some cases, we tried stuff no one had attempted before so the notes/variables came in handy when you had to go back and try to figure something out.

Actually, I guess I do keep and review training logs as well. I do film almost every training session and review the film for improvements. Most of the time Im watching myself thinking "what the hell are you doing man?!"
Brian McQuain is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 04-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McQuain View Post
Actually, I guess I do keep and review training logs as well. I do film almost every training session and review the film for improvements. Most of the time Im watching myself thinking "what the hell are you doing man?!"
LOL yeah, that too.

I'm surprised anyone read that long ass post. But, glad at least two did.

The Dutch created a '60s-70s like time in dog training for me. I remember my dad would talk about all the wild shit they did back then. For a moment I felt like I was in that kind of time with her. In terms of discovery and associating with new ideas and people. And well, sometimes she was that bad hit of acid

Please Register!
Old 04-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McQuain View Post
I feel like it would be that way with me l. Seeing what's nessesary and what's not. Were my strong and week points are. I hate seeing myself inll a video so writing is easier for me.

Please Register!
Old 04-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue

I'm not dissing the idea of training logs. In the beginning it helped me pay attention to the dog and note details. I do leaf through my logs now and then and remember that I hold, in my hands, 2 years of a dog's life.
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-16-2016, 10:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

If nothing else, they can help create an organized and disciplined approach to dog training and problem solving.

Video doesn't lie, there's no potential for bias except by the viewer. It also shows a complete picture and captures detail that otherwise might be missed during the training session.

Please Register!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Other

I often think I should keep logs or even a planner. I never do though and then I forget everything all the time. Every time I got to train a new dog I find I have completely forgotten what I did with the last one. This actually has a nice side effect, that being I just do what works with the dog in front of me

Sometimes I am completely amazed I get any results at all, lol

Nicole, your dutch sound like Sali, and Chucky that sneaky ****er finds a ball even I didn't know was there and marks it if he can't get to it, lol, sometimes it's on top of a shelf at my highest reach but he knows it's there either from memory or scent.

Edit: also sometimes I find I have trained a dog something that I have forgotten I trained but then find the dog hasn't forgotten. They should keep logs on me.

http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...merend-Thistle
Matt Vandart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!