training logs?! - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » training logs?!

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.

tcat left
training logs?!
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-14-2016, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Personal Protection
Talking training logs?!

I'm sure there are a lot off members on this forum that use training logs. I'm going to be making one myself and plan on putting a lot into it as id like it to last for my entire traning career. Id love to see what others have done with there logs! I want to make mine like a daily planner. Id also love to know if it helped you improve your skills. So far I'm loving this forum!! Thank you for welcoming me and that you for any replies ill receive

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Search & Rescue
Re: training logs?!

I don't know that those training sport have a training log as such. I know sar folks and LE folks keep it more for legal and documentational purposes. What kind of outline were you planning for yours to take? Purpose? Plans? Goals? Day-to-Day events?
Sarah Platts is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Platts View Post
I don't know that those training sport have a training log as such. I know sar folks and LE folks keep it more for legal and documentational purposes. What kind of outline were you planning for yours to take? Purpose? Plans? Goals? Day-to-Day events?
All of those. I want day to day training session notes, goals, plans for the future. Some way of rating the activity so I know what I need to work on most and how I trained that specific thing. Its to help me keep track and its somewhere I can keep my thoughts and ideas and weather or not they worked. Its to help me know when my dog is ready to move onto something new and help me manage my time with him. I think it will help me greatly as I work with him everyday and sometime its hard to remember were I was at. I work training pet dogs everyday so I'm constantly thinking of new ways to teach or new dog related activities that sound like fun. It will be like a daily planner for my training. I want to make it somewhat universal for any kind of training.

Please Register!

Old 04-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

I want to use it like a bullet journal, there will be a table of contents and a section for day to day writing and a section for lists of any kind witch will be cammands he knows well that have been proofed, activities I want to try, maybe his daily routine, vaccenes, ect.

Please Register!
Old 04-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Other

I only keep logs for detection training, for reasons pointed out by Sarah. All my other training progress, or random issues that pop up during training I keep in my head.
Brian McQuain is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Ok well APPARENTLY I'm the only person who thinks its a good idea...maybe I'm just to stupid to keep up

Please Register!
Old 04-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+...clArkQ_AUIBygC

Please Register!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Emerson View Post
Ok well APPARENTLY I'm the only person who thinks its a good idea...maybe I'm just to stupid to keep up

It is a good idea for lots of people, and not because you or others lack intelligence. I could see the benefit if you have several dogs all different ages and stages you are training. I really haven't seen a need for that with my dogs, and I cant recall a time when I went back on my training logs to answer any questions I may have about a dog. Only time I pull them out is for documentation purposes.

That's just my way...ONE way...not THE way.
Brian McQuain is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I'm with Brian on logs were only when I was involved in SAR.

The rest is in my head although it has never stopped me reading anything about dog training.

I don't ever want to stop learning!

You work on training pet dogs every day.

Are you familiar with marker training? It's all about having fun with training.

My biggest issue with it, and most training methods, is they don't really address leadership issues.

To many look at marker training as purely positive and "traditional" correcting training as to harsh.

Both ideas are wrong and both can be very "correct" when done properly.

Balance your training with a bit of both.

Please Register!
Old 04-16-2016, 12:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Amber, while the responses you have received so far might suggest otherwise, people do use them. I've trained in sport and other venues and have seen documentation prepared by other people. I don't know if my TD does it anymore but he used to document specific details about his training sessions. He made notes of other peoples dogs as well.

Early on, I started one for tracks that I laid for my Mastiff. It detailed everything that possibly might influence the track (at least that I was aware of at the time). The dog had been following tracks and trails for two years on her own before I started with that mess (foot step sport tracking). Anyway, I later used a journal when I was training another dog that had been through at least 3 other handlers before me.

I used a 3 ring notebook and broke it out by each phase of the sport. I shared those notes with the owner of the dog as each week went by. Most of her issues were pretty easy to address but since I was working her using different methods of reinforcement (instead of much of it being +P), I got very different results. Her progress was faster and she was clearer headed in the work.

With my Dutch, I recorded (filmed) all of her new search sessions and nearly every bite work session. Concerning the latter, we had some issues I didn't know how to properly deal with, so there was a lot of trial and error with her. In some cases, we tried stuff no one had attempted before so the notes/variables came in handy when you had to go back and try to figure something out.

With this dog, it could be the smallest of things that would very drastically change how a session went. I always had to be ahead of her and often needed to involve more than just the helper and myself to get through a session. Usually there would be 1-2 other people participating. Thats of course, also how she ended up toppling over 3 adults that were trying to hold onto her.

It was a little stupid, 3 people in a heap with me holding her collar in my hand and her clawing, pulling, just inches off the ground. This was a sudden and bizarre turn of events because it happened as she was being led off the field. Thinking back, this was over the training directors bag that was on the field. I didn't even notice it, but she obviously did.

I recall another time the helper came in and saw me doing OB with her. He put the sleeve atop a 5' wall and entered the training area. We're about 60' away in the corner and how she saw that I have no idea. We leave, she's heeling attentively and then just about the time we get close enough to the wall she launches into the air across the front of me and got that f'ing sleeve!

Another time as another handler and dog were heeling past us, she did the same thing but this time snatched the handlers toy from his cargo pants. WTF did this dog have eyes in the back of her head?? When was she seeing this, because she was supposed to be looking at me?!?! I tell you all of this because dealing with her was just odd. It was like having a Rubik's Cube on a leash and you better have that puzzle figured out before she goes onto the field.

Would I do the same today? Probably, to some extent I would. My line of work is regulatory based, amongst other things. My reputation falls on my ability to recall detail, formulate and document corrective action plans, and achieve verifiable results. As such, it's become somewhat automatic for my professional life to carry over into my personal hobbies.

Last edited by Nicole Stark; 04-16-2016 at 12:10 AM..
Nicole Stark is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!