Sensitive dogs. - Page 9 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » Sensitive dogs.

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.

tcat left
Sensitive dogs.
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-20-2017, 02:00 AM   #81 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
Re: Sensitive dogs.

i particularly liked the way you used the water

....cross posted more on the training thread Dan started
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 03:40 AM   #82 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Other

I use things that come to hand

After this about a week, they had another ruck inside one of the woooden kennels out back. I lifted the the roof off and looked in and it was like a whirling mass of teeth and Reggie had hold of Hector good. I picked up the 50l buckets of water that are in the outside runs for their water and poured in, no effect another one did the trick though and afterwards Reggie was strutting round like the cock of the north. That was when I had to split them up permanently. After I was talking to Kath and we were laughing about the concept of throwing some treats on the ground in there to stop it. Even if it had distracted them it would have just started up a prey based fight and then it would have been game over for one of them.
So their answer would be "I wouldn't have let it happen in the first place"
Well that's fair enough to an extent but I think these people have either never had multiple dogs and definitely not multiple super game dogs, probably both.
If I "didn't let it happen in the first place" then the poor dogs would be locked up all day or robots or both. We've only had two serious fights between our dogs, both were caused by Kaths lack of knowledge of this type of dog. I don't mean that offensively to her, she is just not used to the body language of very dominant "rank driven" dogs as her foundation is in BC's. Her Staffy Luna is her first venture into basically dogs that love to fight, to put it crudely. Most of the time it's just my presence that keeps the fights from happening but also I do tend to "prevent" fights between the dogs that would likely kill each other, usually that will just take a stare or a "cut it out" but with Hector and Chucky they have to be kept separate as they have got into some low level, will become serious death matches now.
Having said that most of the time it's all just groovy peace and love here though, notice Hector is in his crate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZry5EdLO8

http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...merend-Thistle
Matt Vandart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:45 PM   #83 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Pigs eh?

Please Register!

Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #84 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

When I started teaching OB classes in the 80s we had a tupperware container that had a beach towel in it.

The towel was damp, not wet, with a water/ammonia solution strong enough to be effective but not strong enough to burn the eyes.

That didn't take much ammonia at all.

The few fights we had it was just a matter of tossing this towel over the top of the dog's heads and the release was very quick.

Not something everyone carries around but in a kennel situation it's easy enough to have on hand if needed.

Please Register!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:06 AM   #85 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

That reminds me and here I go adding to the "horrendous counters" administered in some cases as a last ditch effort for fight control. The breeder of my second DDB was nearly her 60s when she got into the breed. She lived alone and hand a number of dogs that could be kept together but some fought particularly when females were in season. You guys who have been through fights with dogs that won't quit know things usually only go one way if not stopped.

Bob's mention above of the towel with solution mixture reminded me that she kept a fire extinguisher on hand just in case and she used it twice. I subscribe to everything said, that includes what rick said on the other post about reading, observing, correct managing and at times letting the dogs work out the issues on their own. To do that you need to really understand what is going on, as in why it starts, what actually is taking place before during and after, and if this behavior is carrying over into other areas as well.

I also know the reality of what can happen with certain types of dogs. Those who don't know, an example of this was one day my friend came home to find her pit bull had been killed by one of the other dogs in the family. This was a situation that was admittedly poorly managed.

Please Register!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #86 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I like the fire extinguisher idea!

Craziest dog fight break up I've seen was between two Kerry Blue terriers.

They were also used as fighting dogs in their early history and typical of many terriers walked around with a FU attitude with other dogs.

This was at a dog show and both dog's were on leashes but one got to close to another and it hit the fan.

Typical of the terriers both immediately got grips and held on but one was definitely on the bottom.

Another handler walked up and grabbed the one that really had a serious grip on the other dog. He grabbed that dog by the tail and stuck his finger up the dog's ass. That dog released immediately.

Please Register!
Old 04-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #87 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I don't see myself ever doing that but I remember when one of my DDB got into a fight with a pit, he had the entire top of the pits head in his mouth with one of his canines nearly in his eye. When you see stuff like that it does tend to make you feel compelled to do anything possible to stop it.

In this case, it was a situation of poor management on behalf of the pits owner. He let that dog push the limits (dominating and fighting other dogs) too far. It was weird. I've never seen a guy run away from something so fast. He didn't even try to help his dog once the fight started. In fact, it was my other dog who helped stop the fight as she had grabbed my male just behind the shoulders which helped me get control of his head while someone held the other dog. That female DDB was interesting in some of her behaviors.

That male DDB I got at 10 months of age. He growled once while being fed and then seemingly out of nowhere that bitch flew in and roughed him up. After that she went back to eating. They weren't fed nearby one another and I didn't think she could have heard him since she was eating when it happened. It seemed odd to me that she did that but he never did that again.

She had a manner of making things "right" in her own way. She steam rolled another dog mid shit that she spotted on the property and then other time she saw another dog harassing a family as they walked down the road. She took off and ran into that dog as she hit it, she grabbed it by the neck and flew over the back of the dog as she flipped it and slammed it onto the ground. Then she turned around and came back like nothing ever happened.

Who knows maybe people have seen other dogs do stuff like this. I've been around many different breeds throughout my lifetime and that dog did things that just seemed unusual to me - as I said though, maybe it really wasn't all that unusual. Or it was a situation of me totally mismanaging the situations where she was concerned. If anything it seemed like she was doing a pretty good job keeping things in check. She had a short life unfortunately, I lost her to lymphoma at about 2 1/2 years old.

Anyway, I'm way off topic now...

Please Register!
Old 04-22-2017, 10:50 PM   #88 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

I always love hearing stories about our dog's behaviors.

They never cease to amaze me.

Please Register!