Sensitive dogs. - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » Sensitive dogs.

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.

tcat left
Sensitive dogs.
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-05-2017, 11:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection
Re: Sensitive dogs.

I just cant see anything that would bother me ... maybe I am missing something? They still have a while yet until you will be able to see a whole lot. Man the bone in those males .. I still like the little black one
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2017, 12:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

re : "Here's another vid that really highlights the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3V3lEbI-Os"

i didn't see handler sensitivity probs in the last pup tested

watched again and was looking for it specifically, and here is where i saw chances to show sensitivity issues, but in my opinion she handled them all quite well :
9:36 you're completely over her but no bad reaction
9:58 eagerly went in, no prob observed
11:55 eager to dig in again
12:40-43 chances to react but she didnít
13:59 yet another chance but she didn't

i realize the vid was retrieving and not sensitivity testing
and realize these are snippets, but i was digging hard to see adverse sensitivity but just didn't see the problem in this clip

this test did seem to have less consistency (retrieve objects) compared to the sensitivity test i watched. was that the plan ?

curious ... do you intentionally change up the order of pups when you run a set of tests on them or just randomly select whoever is closest at hand, etc ?

overall you seem to have a lot of patience with all the pups and are trying not to play favourites. most people that i have worked with who have a problem with handler sensitivity come up WAY short in the patience category

but since it's a problem i'd like to see more specifics if you have some spare time to spoon feed me some //lol//

otherwise carry on !!
i'm DEFINITELY not a breeder but for me it would seem like the hardest part of breeding is finding qualified buyers as compared to raising and prepping the pups, and i think you are definitely keeping up your end of the bargain in that area
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-06-2017, 01:07 AM   #23 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

no need to jump on my Q's Matt
out the door for a Tokyo shoot for the next three days and there DEF won't be any 'dogs' involved
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 04-06-2017, 05:07 AM   #24 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post
The black one I mentioned, I believe is called Blue Male. This pup, for various reasons has been my favorite. Who knows why, I noticed him from the first video I saw of the litter and continue to like what I see of him.
Yes this pup is awesome. He is a copy of Indie without handler sensitivity. He's like a hairy bull terrier, me and him will get on like a house on fire.
The last pup I have been informed is the best pup for herding application. She is hyper sensitive to my mood, body language, voice etc. If I can get it right without ruining her she will be absolutely awesome. After this vid I put her away in her puppy pen and went to get the camera and she had climbed out to come find me to do some more stuff. she follows me everywhere, sleeps by my feet of an evening when I am sitting by the computer. She is very chilled out but has a **** ton of fight in her. As it goes despite her handler sensitivity she has put some mighty bruises on my calf muscles already and plenty of pin holes, too. It's quite the quandary.
How she matches up with me is basically terribly atm. I am much better working with very robust temperament dogs like Sali, Reggie, Tilly and Digga (for those who know them) where I can **** up but it makes not a bit of difference to them. I struggled a bit with Indie at first and as I had got him at appx 4-6 months (can't remember exactly) I thought he may have been beaten or shouted at by the previous owners but it turned out he was just sensitive. Anyway me and him just kinda bumbled through and now he is not particularly sensitive to my mood but will feel pressure when working with sheep. As a side note I have never had to physically correct Indie for anything including in ob training.

http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...merend-Thistle
Matt Vandart is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-06-2017, 05:10 AM   #25 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
I just cant see anything that would bother me ... maybe I am missing something? They still have a while yet until you will be able to see a whole lot. Man the bone in those males .. I still like the little black one
Thanks Brian I like how Indie passed on that feature.
I'm not bothered by it just need to learn the skills to deal with it more better. I have great plans for this bitch and I intend her being my foundation bitch.

Rick I'll have a squint at your questions in a mo

Please Register!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:35 AM   #26 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Vandart View Post
Thanks Brian I like how Indie passed on that feature.
I'm not bothered by it just need to learn the skills to deal with it more better. I have great plans for this bitch and I intend her being my foundation bitch.

Rick I'll have a squint at your questions in a mo

For a solid year thats all I did was work with dogs that were "shy" (LOL)... Im not seeing that in these pups. Maybe if I was there with you I could see better ... I like video but I hate it at the same time lol ... just send the lil one down when hes to much for you and let uncle Brian have a go with him hehehe
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Vandart View Post
The last pup I have been informed is the best pup for herding application. She is hyper sensitive to my mood, body language, voice etc. If I can get it right without ruining her she will be absolutely awesome. After this vid I put her away in her puppy pen and went to get the camera and she had climbed out to come find me to do some more stuff. she follows me everywhere, sleeps by my feet of an evening when I am sitting by the computer. She is very chilled out but has a **** ton of fight in her. As it goes despite her handler sensitivity she has put some mighty bruises on my calf muscles already and plenty of pin holes, too. It's quite the quandary.
You know… while I saw what maybe looked like that (sensitivity). I remember thinking that this is an intelligent, bonded pup that appears to have potential to work well independently but does seem that she tires of too much handler influence. And if over handled, maybe it'd become a problem for her.

I say that because I saw that you could and did turn it (quieting and disengaging) around in your interactions with her. You'd change something just enough and she rebounded. Seems to me she just became bored of the routine you were doing with her. Then I thought well ain't that interesting... It's Matt that the problem, not that puppy lolz.

I mean, I see possibility for trouble in what you said about sensitivity if you were doing a bunch of OB drills with this dog but for some reason I imagine if you could settle in your head to just work the dog before you, identify or if you already know what her element is, and it seems you do, she's gonna take care of the rest.

That's my opinion of this puppy.

Please Register!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #28 (permalink)
Landshark

Brian, you are not the first person who has said "just send me this puppy!" lol

Nicole, yah, the problem is me. I reacted as I did as I do have someone else helping me on FB just wanted to get even more help and opinions/appraisals/outlooks/whatever from you guys.

Please Register!
Old 04-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #29 (permalink)
Landshark

Rick. 9:36 is where things started to go a bit tits up tbh and set up the next minute and a half of nonsense. If she had taken her dump then come bounding back then I would have been satisfied that it was purely the need for a dump.
The rest of your observations are because I started prostrating myself like a little bitch so she didn't get sensitive. Good observations though dude, thanks.

Questions:
this test did seem to have less consistency (retrieve objects) compared to the sensitivity test i watched. was that the plan ?

The objects changed as I realized that the Orange pup would retrieve anything to me so I tried it, I was correct. The second time I changed the object was for the sensitive one as I wanted to see if it was the object that was putting her off, again I was correct.

curious ... do you intentionally change up the order of pups when you run a set of tests on them or just randomly select whoever is closest at hand, etc ?

I changed them up this time as I became aware that Orange was less sensitive than black. so the pups are in order of sensitivity from least to most in the vid at this current time.

Nicole- I think yes this pup gets tired of my shit a bit.

Please Register!
Old 04-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

I'm curious what an outing with her might look like without your influence.; presence yes, but without influence over the pup. Let her run the show so to speak. What happens then? No luring, calling to you, expectations of engagement, just hanging out in her world as she is.

Um, so where's bully black going?

Please Register!