Place behavior - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » Place behavior

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.

tcat left
Place behavior
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
Re: Place behavior

???? why the sad face for he's a thinking dog ????
that"s a GOOD thing
be positive and develop some fun drills for his brain dead side ... i'm sure he's got some of that in him too !!
---- or just act brain dead sometimes when you're working him //lol//

by the way, weaving is a cool trick, but .....maybe teach him reverse spins and do a variety of flip turns to a heel position ???
{that's just me jealously wishing he was my dog }

i'd love to work with him
bring him to japan; weather is getting really nice !!!!
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: Schutzhund

Sometimes I wish he had more wild crazy moments....
He does a whole bunch of tricks - we will work on more.

Hmmm, how long a drive is it to Japan..... LOL
Patty Beck is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

re : "This sounds allot like how we have been working our send outs. I use a approx. 12" X 12" carpet piece send him out as soon as he hits the target its release back to me for the toy.
So, if I am understanding you correctly, I could be working this the same way? Kind of eliminate the whole need to stay on the box - just hit it?"

Q - does his drive stay up better on the send outs as compared to working the box ? if so, heck yeah; start out by just having him hit it you can always increase the time on the box, and when u use the box u could also throw in an occasional down to make sure he's still thinkin

i made an (incorrect) assumption you were just starting to teach him a send out (sorry)

Please Register!

Old 04-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick smith View Post
re : "This sounds allot like how we have been working our send outs. I use a approx. 12" X 12" carpet piece send him out as soon as he hits the target its release back to me for the toy.
So, if I am understanding you correctly, I could be working this the same way? Kind of eliminate the whole need to stay on the box - just hit it?"

Q - does his drive stay up better on the send outs as compared to working the box ? if so, heck yeah; start out by just having him hit it you can always increase the time on the box, and when u use the box u could also throw in an occasional down to make sure he's still thinkin

i made an (incorrect) assumption you were just starting to teach him a send out (sorry)

If I may add to this ...once you start the movement here keep him moving quickly and transition from one thing to the next quickly ... with urgency.
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Bit the Handler

Training: PSA

Food is for teaching an exercise, because most dogs have lower drive for it than a toy, their head is clearer to learn a new exercise, once you dog understand the exercise then you can switch to a toy as a reward and train in drive, training in drive will have more intensity in the exercise than the food as a reward. But you might want to take a step back and just teach place first and not making him stay there, your verbal marker seems to be "ok yes", should be just one word or use a clicker so it will eliminate all of the variable, as soon as he put foot on the platform, mark and throw the food away so he will have to leave the platform and eat it, then immediately point to the platform again and start over, this simulate training in drive but with food, once he understand the place command without you having to lure him on it, you can work on time, start out with one second then gradually goes longer and then mix it up, sometime make him wait for one second sometime 5 sometimes 10 sometime one...Pattern training is what kills drive and show less intensity in the work, always keep him guessing. Then once this is good, switch to the toy for the reward and you will see intensity increased.

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Food is for teaching an exercise, because most dogs have lower drive for it than a toy, their head is clearer to learn a new exercise, once you dog understand the exercise then you can switch to a toy as a reward and train in drive, training in drive will have more intensity in the exercise than the food as a reward. But you might want to take a step back and just teach place first and not making him stay there, your verbal marker seems to be "ok yes", should be just one word or use a clicker so it will eliminate all of the variable, as soon as he put foot on the platform, mark and throw the food away so he will have to leave the platform and eat it, then immediately point to the platform again and start over, this simulate training in drive but with food, once he understand the place command without you having to lure him on it, you can work on time, start out with one second then gradually goes longer and then mix it up, sometime make him wait for one second sometime 5 sometimes 10 sometime one...Pattern training is what kills drive and show less intensity in the work, always keep him guessing. Then once this is good, switch to the toy for the reward and you will see intensity increased.

I agree 100%

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:19 AM   #17 (permalink)
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
gradually goes longer and then mix it up, sometime make him wait for one second sometime 5 sometimes 10 sometime one...Pattern training is what kills drive and show less intensity in the work, always keep him guessing. Then once this is good, switch to the toy for the reward and you will see intensity increased..

This is so important and part of virtually ALL of the training. I am thankful you brought it up ... keeps me in the game too

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

i call it "robot mode" and warn against it ALL the time !!

VERY problematic in Japan due to the cultural differences.
Japanese even has a word for it. it basically means "mastering of one thing". sure, it has it's place if you want to perfect a technique, but it SUCKS BIG TIME for any type of dog training

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

selection of the reinforcer and reward can be a problem too. it's ALL about what trips the DOG's trigger, not what YOU think has a higher value for the dog

Please Register!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

with such a huge selection of toys these days a LOT of dog owners (including working dog owners) have forgotten the importance of verbal and physical praise and it's almost become a lost art and confused with prey drive stimulation

Please Register!