Out command - Page 4 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » Out command

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.

tcat left
Out command
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 12-20-2015, 12:59 AM   #31 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other
Re: Out command

you're all correct of course
somewhat tongue in cheek

...new topic
what makes "french" linen so tuff ?
i googled it once and got some nice dress material that looks classy but wrinkles WAY too easy //LOL//
...always been curious how that material got its name

my image of teaching a dog on a back tie to out seems like a no win situation but i guess it could be done somehow

my new training assistant would look good in a burlap bag ... but not gonna post vids or pics so don't ask //rotflmao//
rick smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #32 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: French Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
Before one of my brothers-in-law retired he owned and ran a bean sprout business and all the seed came in bags like that.

I tried using them rolled up but as you said "they don't have much meat".

Fact is they get shredded almost immediately with a grown dog.
Yup yup and the weave is very coarse as well. So the dogs can easily get canines caught up in the fabric. Good for starting puppies and when new (not shredded up) sized correctly I use mine as a placement mat, that's about it.

Rick .. French Linen it is the tight weave that makes it more durable. note: Not all French linen is created equally either. A lot of the high end suits like Gallais, Demenat et al use a very tight weave made of unique to them 50% Cotton /50% Polyamide. Most tugs and cheaper suits use a polyester cotton blend that isn't as durable. Tugs are ok with the cheaper stuff but you get what you pay for with suits.

Another thing about tugs about what makes a better tug is what they are stuffed with. I like using and resell Can-Am tugs as he uses rolled carpet under padding and his tugs have a velcro enclosure so when the internal loses its shape and breaks down you can change it out without having to buy a new tug.

Please Register!
Old 12-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #33 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

i have quite a few tugs
90% are CanAm...love em....been using them for years
i use a WIDE variety of stuffing.....i"ve posted about a few of my favorite stuffing combos on here before...a few guys tried em out and were happy

even stuffed em with blast hose...one size DEFINITELY does not fit all dogs when it comes to tugs

Please Register!

Old 12-20-2015, 10:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Old fire fighter's hose can make a good tug.

Never actually tried it but I've talked to one or two that have.

Please Register!
Old 12-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #35 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: French Ring

I've found fire hose tugs hard on teeth as they are made with ballistic type nylon. I just recommend people to stick with jute or french linen.

Please Register!
Old 12-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #36 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

topic is getting more interesting than the "out"

i have heard that firehouse is abrasive and the same thing said about tennis balls wearing teeth faster. the logic seems clear

i've also used hexarmor sleeves over hidden sleeves; more as a way to prevent a dog from being able to grip than for protection and was wondering what effect that would have on tooth wear.
(note...this was for aggression cases and obviously to develop a good grip this materialwould not be advisable, since there has to be a balance of allowing the dog to grip but not puncture, etc)
- wondered the same thing about natural bones and deer antlers, etc

but i doubt there has ever been a definitive study done as to what substances wear a dog's teeth faster. i've seen plenty of older dogs with lots of bitework with worn teeth, but there is never a good record of what they spent most of their time chewing, which may be more of a "wear" factor than simply the bitework
- like dogs who are allowed to chew on sticks

then there is also a genetic component, just like with human teeth. some are weaker; some stronger

maybe we could at least see the long terms effects of bone chewing from wolf and wild dog populations, since none of them probably spend any time chewing on tugs or tennis balls //LOL//

not canines, but i've seen lots of old lions with worn teeth, so bones definitely can wear teeth because i'm damn sure they never did bitework with manmade grip tools and probably didn't spend much time chewing on sticks either

sorry for rambling... but this has interested me over the years
...since i have always given my dogs lots of raw bones

"fund me" and i'll do a comprehensive study to separate facts from myths //rotflmao//

Please Register!
Old 12-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
Ate the Tug

Training: IPO

I am not a dog trainer, but this week, i am working on the same issue.
I was given technique, which takes A G E S, but works in one day.

My dog waited 32 mins on a dead tug to' out', when i waited him out. I didnt want to keep doing this.

So was advised:
move dog from prey to pack drive first, then command out. By: training the dog that me doing something called 'pressing' where i hold the dogs chops underneath, stroke slowly and verbal praise. Release my hand. Teaching when i am doing this, nothing bad will ever happen. And i dont take the tug. After a minute, take hold of tug, give command "out" and he then spits. I immediately animate the tug and pay the dog with a new game, that he controls, by outting on command. ie. if he outs, he gets another bite.

Sorry i dont know what this is, or why it works, but he got faster and faster on the out, till at the end of a day of me using this technique, he'll out on command now!
shelle fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 12-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #38 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Protection Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelle fenton View Post
I am not a dog trainer, but this week, i am working on the same issue.
I was given technique, which takes A G E S, but works in one day.

My dog waited 32 mins on a dead tug to' out', when i waited him out. I didnt want to keep doing this.

So was advised:
move dog from prey to pack drive first, then command out. By: training the dog that me doing something called 'pressing' where i hold the dogs chops underneath, stroke slowly and verbal praise. Release my hand. Teaching when i am doing this, nothing bad will ever happen. And i dont take the tug. After a minute, take hold of tug, give command "out" and he then spits. I immediately animate the tug and pay the dog with a new game, that he controls, by outting on command. ie. if he outs, he gets another bite.

Sorry i dont know what this is, or why it works, but he got faster and faster on the out, till at the end of a day of me using this technique, he'll out on command now!
this is a technique that will work with SOME dogs and MAY take 1 day.
this in my opinion will not work with many other dogs that are in training.

Please Register!
Old 12-21-2015, 11:11 PM   #39 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Never heard of it but then I could probably write a book on what i haven't heard.

The abrasiveness of the fire hose makes sense.

The tennis balls have been studied and it was found that it's actually the glue that hold the "fuzz" on the tennis bal that is actually what is corrosive to the dog's teeth.

I've had terriers pop them like bubble gum and that was befoer I heard of the teeth issue.

I never used them with my GSDs..

Please Register!