Loading Up in the car VIDEO - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header



Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » Loading Up in the car VIDEO

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.


Reply
tcat left
Loading Up in the car VIDEO
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 03-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Landshark
 
Brian Anderson's Avatar
 
Status: Senior Member
Training: Personal Protection
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,041
Loading Up in the car VIDEO

I didnt have a dog that hasnt already done the loading up drill... and I do see it as a drill. But this pup a week ago was being drug into the back of t he car literally. Its the same pup that was in the other video.. training with food. You can see elements from that in the training for the loading up. Hope this helps... incorporate movement and a sense of urgency when doing a drill like this. Stay at it and dont be afraid to get outside of your comfort zone.

https://youtu.be/x5ydX9exU7M
__________________
"A pedigree says what a dog should be
Conformation says what a dog appears to be
Performance says what a dog truly is"
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Please visit our Sponsor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dominance Arising
 
Gina Mezin's Avatar
 
Status: Member
Training: Undecided
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.
Posts: 467
Awesome Brian. Thanks!!! Could you explain your timing of reward and where you rewarded? Also, how did you start i.e. number of reps. Love the energy. Beautiful pup.
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-31-2017, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Landshark
 
Brian Anderson's Avatar
 
Status: Senior Member
Training: Personal Protection
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,041
Re: Loading Up in the car VIDEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Mezin View Post
Awesome Brian. Thanks!!! Could you explain your timing of reward and where you rewarded? Also, how did you start i.e. number of reps. Love the energy. Beautiful pup.

You're more than welcome Gina..I hope you can find something in there to work with. Sorry for the bad camera work ... and Im not the best host on camera lol ...

The reward is at the end of the video actually I let him hit a tug (its off cam)... if you note that I am using a bridge command and its "wait"... that command is drawing out the behaviour and allowing me to build duration in the car. I dont want to use a "stay" command because in my training a stay command means DO NOT move ... wait is more temporary and a bridge so there is less pressure on the dog.

I started with the command "load up" and then moving quickly to do that...dragging him along the first few times. Then he realized what I was asking and BOOM here we go ... DS are like that lol ... number of reps? I cant tell you Gina I read the dog and let that tell me ... I suggest that for you too.

Arko says thanks for the compliment!
__________________
"A pedigree says what a dog should be
Conformation says what a dog appears to be
Performance says what a dog truly is"

Last edited by Brian Anderson; 03-31-2017 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: added to summary
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
 
Old 03-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dominance Arising
 
Gina Mezin's Avatar
 
Status: Member
Training: Undecided
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: A desert in California not too far from the mountains.
Posts: 467
Makes sense. Mine knows wait. Perfect.
Gina Mezin is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 03-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Landshark
 
Brian Anderson's Avatar
 
Status: Senior Member
Training: Personal Protection
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,041
Re: Loading Up in the car VIDEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina Mezin View Post
Awesome Brian. Thanks!!! Could you explain your timing of reward and where you rewarded? Also, how did you start i.e. number of reps. Love the energy. Beautiful pup.
I went back and re watched the video.. at the .57 mark you will see me recall him after having him in wait ... the reason was I was anticipating him breaking the command (he was about to jump out). So I recalled him to prevent failure. That shows the duration of the bridge in this instance it was around 10 seconds or so ... did I mention timing is critical?>LOL
__________________
"A pedigree says what a dog should be
Conformation says what a dog appears to be
Performance says what a dog truly is"
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Landshark
 
Tim Martens's Avatar
 
Status: Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,582
Re: Loading Up in the car VIDEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
I went back and re watched the video.. at the .57 mark you will see me recall him after having him in wait ... the reason was I was anticipating him breaking the command (he was about to jump out). So I recalled him to prevent failure. That shows the duration of the bridge in this instance it was around 10 seconds or so ... did I mention timing is critical?>LOL
imo, while yes, you beat him to the punch by recalling him, you re-enforced the urge to break by giving him the tug. what is taught/learned? i understand the reason for the recall, i just wouldn't have rewarded it. maybe make him do something else to earn the tug after he recalled.

it's obvious that the dog is pretty comfortable in the car at this point (as evidenced by him bringing his reward back to the car). you're probably doing this already so this is maybe more of a suggestion to others watching and wondering what's next, but now my focus would be the wait. i'd bring the dog a treat, then walk away (giving wait command), then come back giving treat. vary the timing, distance, and reward frequency, ultimately building up to walking out of sight for longer periods of time. while training this, i wouldn't reward for recalling the dog (since that's what he wants to do and probably places a higher value on the tug than he does for the treats to stay in the car. once he's solid on the wait, you can reward with a treat for the recall).

beautiful dutchie!
Tim Martens is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Landshark
 
Brian Anderson's Avatar
 
Status: Senior Member
Training: Personal Protection
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,041
Re: Loading Up in the car VIDEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Martens View Post
imo, while yes, you beat him to the punch by recalling him, you re-enforced the urge to break by giving him the tug. what is taught/learned? i understand the reason for the recall, i just wouldn't have rewarded it. maybe make him do something else to earn the tug after he recalled.

it's obvious that the dog is pretty comfortable in the car at this point (as evidenced by him bringing his reward back to the car). you're probably doing this already so this is maybe more of a suggestion to others watching and wondering what's next, but now my focus would be the wait. i'd bring the dog a treat, then walk away (giving wait command), then come back giving treat. vary the timing, distance, and reward frequency, ultimately building up to walking out of sight for longer periods of time. while training this, i wouldn't reward for recalling the dog (since that's what he wants to do and probably places a higher value on the tug than he does for the treats to stay in the car. once he's solid on the wait, you can reward with a treat for the recall).

beautiful dutchie!
Hey Tim ... he is comfortable in the car because we had done the drill twice the previous day. I noted in the video that it was not his first time to be fair. The wait isnt the topic of the video,,,"Loading Up in the car" is the topic. The wait is only there to show how to build duration once in the car. I might do one later demonstrating the distance building you are talking about but this is about loading up as she was having problems with that part and the riding down the road. I gave him the tug because we are done at that point ... cha ching payday! Its all about getting int he car ... As you said ..he ran into the car with it which is the goal of the drill...mission accomplished!! Thanks for watching the video and for your input!
__________________
"A pedigree says what a dog should be
Conformation says what a dog appears to be
Performance says what a dog truly is"
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Landshark
 
Tim Martens's Avatar
 
Status: Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,582
Re: Loading Up in the car VIDEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Anderson View Post
Hey Tim ... he is comfortable in the car because we had done the drill twice the previous day. I noted in the video that it was not his first time to be fair. The wait isnt the topic of the video,,,"Loading Up in the car" is the topic. The wait is only there to show how to build duration once in the car. I might do one later demonstrating the distance building you are talking about but this is about loading up as she was having problems with that part and the riding down the road. I gave him the tug because we are done at that point ... cha ching payday! Its all about getting int he car ... As you said ..he ran into the car with it which is the goal of the drill...mission accomplished!! Thanks for watching the video and for your input!
hate to be a stickler, but...

1) on one hand you say the point of the video/exercise is "loading up in the car". then you explain that you recalled the dog so as to not let him break the wait command (proper thing to do imo). when i questioned the reward you then revert back to saying it's all about the load up exercise.

2) we all know that training is stacking building blocks. we link or chain behaviors together to achieve a more complex outcome. in this case i would assume the ultimate goal would a dog that reliably loads up when commanded, stays in the car when commanded, and recalls when commanded. we break those behaviors into individual exercises and when all are reliable, then we begin to link the chain. that doesn't mean that we teach those exercises with no regard for the next step. while yes, rewarding him for prematurely breaking the wait does not effect how the dog loads up, it will no doubt adversely effect the teaching of the wait command.

i understand the dangers of posting videos and opening yourself up. again, i'm not necessarily criticizing your training. you seem confident in your abilities and what you're teaching. i'm speaking to those who may try to emulate what they're seeing in the video and offering what i believe is fair commentary on what i believe is something that could make teaching the next step more difficult.

"you're either training your dog or he's training you."
Tim Martens is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Landshark
 
Brian Anderson's Avatar
 
Status: Senior Member
Training: Personal Protection
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,041
Re: Loading Up in the car VIDEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Martens View Post
hate to be a stickler, but...

1) on one hand you say the point of the video/exercise is "loading up in the car". then you explain that you recalled the dog so as to not let him break the wait command (proper thing to do imo). when i questioned the reward you then revert back to saying it's all about the load up exercise.

2) we all know that training is stacking building blocks. we link or chain behaviors together to achieve a more complex outcome. in this case i would assume the ultimate goal would a dog that reliably loads up when commanded, stays in the car when commanded, and recalls when commanded. we break those behaviors into individual exercises and when all are reliable, then we begin to link the chain. that doesn't mean that we teach those exercises with no regard for the next step. while yes, rewarding him for prematurely breaking the wait does not effect how the dog loads up, it will no doubt adversely effect the teaching of the wait command.

i understand the dangers of posting videos and opening yourself up. again, i'm not necessarily criticizing your training. you seem confident in your abilities and what you're teaching. i'm speaking to those who may try to emulate what they're seeing in the video and offering what i believe is fair commentary on what i believe is something that could make teaching the next step more difficult.

"you're either training your dog or he's training you."
Hey Tim... I appreciate others input ... none of us know it all and the moment we kinda start believing we do there will be a dog stroll along and ruin that idea lol... There was an earlier video of me starting the process with the same pup using food that was unrelated to this one . That is why I referenced it in this video. I dont take it personal when others may see things differently and theres a zillion ways to do most all of this stuff. Just throwing out the way I have had success with doing it for years. I didnt have the benefit of someone posting a video when I got into the dogs that was unimaginable at the time lol ... so if I can help someone get over a hump I like doing it because I know what its like to get stuck.

"we all know that training is stacking building blocks. we link or chain behaviors together to achieve a more complex outcome"

If everyone knew this we wouldn't be making videos about loading up in the car brother LOL
__________________
"A pedigree says what a dog should be
Conformation says what a dog appears to be
Performance says what a dog truly is"
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Landshark
 
Tim Martens's Avatar
 
Status: Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,582
Re: Loading Up in the car VIDEO

fair enough. best of luck with the pup. like i said, he's beautiful.
Tim Martens is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


 

SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5