Fun/Training Blurring the Lines VIDEO - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » Fun/Training Blurring the Lines VIDEO

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.

tcat left
Fun/Training Blurring the Lines VIDEO
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 03-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided
Re: Fun/Training Blurring the Lines VIDEO

I think as long as the dog is working well, keep going, but too often, as handlers, we don't always notice the dog has peaked for that session, and push for just a little more. Not always a bad thing with a more mature dog to ask for a bit more, but with a younger dog, you may end up souring them on the work. Or that push for more ends up with the dog falling apart or the exercise not done well, or frustrated handler and then you end on a bad note.

For me, I found really short sessions were fine. Like 3-4 minutes only. I'd much rather get a really good single moment than a half-assed, half-hearted kinda sorta string of behaviour. At training I might put the dog back in the car for a while, let others have field time and then come out again.

Been a while since I trained formally - my dogs are older now and just do fun stuff. I'm enjoying lower maintenance mature dogs and I'm not quite ready to take on a new puppy yet.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2017, 12:34 AM   #12 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

"short sessions"

With a new puppy I use the TV for training.

Watch the show till the 3-5 min commercial is on - work with the puppy - watch the show till the next commercial - work with the puppy, Yadda, yadda!

To serious and working a dog till "I" got tired was more my method of operation but markers and treats be they food or tug REALLY changed me on training.

Still learning at 71 and when I stop learning it's because I'll have a big pile of dirt on my face.

Please Register!
Old 03-31-2017, 05:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
"short sessions"

With a new puppy I use the TV for training.

Watch the show till the 3-5 min commercial is on - work with the puppy - watch the show till the next commercial - work with the puppy, Yadda, yadda!

To serious and working a dog till "I" got tired was more my method of operation but markers and treats be they food or tug REALLY changed me on training.

Still learning at 71 and when I stop learning it's because I'll have a big pile of dirt on my face.

Thats a great idea using the tv as a timer between little bits of training. Bob there was a time I was Sgt Carter on steroids, ridiculed marker trainers, never saw a choke I didnt like ..... boy Im glad I got over that and the dogs really are lol
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!