Becoming a Trainer in Canada? - Page 3 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » Becoming a Trainer in Canada?

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.

tcat left
Becoming a Trainer in Canada?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: IPO
Re: Becoming a Trainer in Canada?

That's actually nice. Do you guys also host "events" or competitions, if you are in the right place (business wise), they can be a great way to further get yourselves out there, and great awareness and P.R.
...sounds like opportunities are out there, I just Need to Search Harder!

Thanks for the the tip. (About bragging.)
Thankfully, I can't be charmed by someone else's 'Ooo's and wows', I don't really care about what others think, I focus on myself. (Not that I don't care about others feelings (I DO, strangely quite strongly), but I don't buy fancy things to "show off to others" - where others would think, wow he must be rich or smart because he has _____. Or the opposite... Oh that guy __(enter smug remark)__, because he does __(enter activity normal people do not consider normal)__. I do not *need* someone else's praise or acceptance, Just my own. This is something much easier said than done.

(Again 'others praise and accceptance' is a General Term. If I am working with a life coach, trainer, vocal teacher, soccer trainer, of course their HONEST Opinion matters.)
Dan Thi is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thi View Post
That's actually nice. Do you guys also host "events" or competitions, if you are in the right place (business wise), they can be a great way to further get yourselves out there, and great awareness and P.R.
...sounds like opportunities are out there, I just Need to Search Harder!

Thanks for the the tip. (About bragging.)
Thankfully, I can't be charmed by someone else's 'Ooo's and wows', I don't really care about what others think, I focus on myself. (Not that I don't care about others feelings (I DO, strangely quite strongly), but I don't buy fancy things to "show off to others" - where others would think, wow he must be rich or smart because he has _____. Or the opposite... Oh that guy __(enter smug remark)__, because he does __(enter activity normal people do not consider normal)__. I do not *need* someone else's praise or acceptance, Just my own. This is something much easier said than done.

(Again 'others praise and accceptance' is a General Term. If I am working with a life coach, trainer, vocal teacher, soccer trainer, of course their HONEST Opinion matters.)
I appreciate reading that. I think the same way and as with anything, it gets easier when you keep things simple.

I wanted to mention something about a trail or event you were considering attending to check out. Just in case you don't know, not all club members trial on the day of trial but for those who do, they often show up with a game ready mentality and can become understandably hyper focused .

For some this can be off putting as it's easy to internalize it as anything other than what it is. One key thing the book 'The Four Agreements' has taught me is that rarely is anything specifically about you, in particular - situations which most are inclined to take personally.

Anyway, you sound very grounded and after reading what you wrote I don't expect you will have any trouble visiting a club on trial day or seeking out other opportunities to work with others. Good luck.

Please Register!
Old 04-10-2017, 01:19 AM   #23 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Other

Dan....
you started with "Are there any Canadian-Trainers here that can give me some advice about becoming a trainer?"

i'm not a Canadian Trainer
are you serious about becoming a trainer ?
if so, i'll be glad to post a long dump on my experiences and advice

all i ask is to cut/paste anything from my response you want to discuss in more detail or do not agree with
- fair enuff ?
rick smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 04-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thi View Post
I'm from Ontario, Canada, but thanks for the reference Nicole.

There is actually an IPO event two weeks from now, about two-three hours away from me. (found out through a Schutzhund Club organization.) I may try to go, it should be a really nice opportunity to meet people.
I'm guessing you've already found the GSSCC website?
http://www.gsscc.ca/schedule-of-events.aspx

Trail season is just starting, so lots of events coming up. Not sure where you are in Ontario, but the Nationals are in Ottawa this year.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: IPO

Nicole, I like the thought process. Thanks for mentioning that book, it sounds like something I'd be interested in. (I got the Four Agreements Audio Book, so I'll be listening to that once I'm done with the Cesar Millan Audio book I'm listening to right now. (I <3 audio books, you can practically do anything while listening to them and gain the knowledge of a book .)

Leslie, I'm a Torontonian . Yes, I bookmarked that site, there are numerous trials coming up which is great! They all are a bit of a drive, but I'll pick a few to try to attend.

Rick, good point .... I should have broken my original post into two sections (and not limited it to any specific region.); The actual process of becoming a Trainer in Canada, and Knowledge/Experiences/Advice from any Trainers towards taking that path.

Even in my teens, working with and training dogs was something I had a strong interest for. (I'd see GSD's in my neighbourhood, leash-free heeling beside their owner, and I'd think wow, that is what I want with my puppy.... although the leash free part in an area you have no control over is not a great idea imo.) At that time, I did not quite have the knowledge of dog training or understanding of how the industry worked, and had been going through a real difficult situation. Now that I've finally climbed out of that hole, I am focused and ready!

[Side story: -An interesting experience I had in my Teens; I was at a dog park (I would not go to dog-parks with the knowledge I now have.) My parents were talking with this lady (She had her Labrador at the park). I was following behind our pup. Well, the Lab approached me, I showed him the back of my hand to smell and he came closer, so I pet him on his side, and he left. He came back a second time and I did the exact same meet-and-greet, then he left again. He came back a third time, but as he approached me he got tense and started barking at me. I stood there tall but calm, hoping he would either stop or his owner would come get him quickly haha. This really peaked my interest about dog's behaviour/psychology.]

Rick, I would very much appreciate if you were to post your history, advice, and experiences for me to look over, study and ask questions about.
Dan Thi is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided

I'm not far away in Hamilton. Most of the clubs are north and east of Toronto, but you are lucky to have a few to choose from. If you are interested, it's worth it to visit and ask about training, and see if any are a good fit for you and your dog.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!