Becoming a Trainer in Canada? - Page 2 - Working Dog Forum
Welcome to the Working Dog Forum.
Header

Working Dog Forum » General Conversation » Training Discussion » Becoming a Trainer in Canada?

Training Discussion General training questions, that don't fit into another category go here.

tcat left
Becoming a Trainer in Canada?
vBmenu Seperating Image LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Display Modes vBmenu Seperating Image
Old 04-08-2017, 01:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Don't Train My Dog
Re: Becoming a Trainer in Canada?

Jeremy, I don't remember if or where you said you are located but for Dan, providing you have an interest in IPO consider checking out Lance Collins. I believe that he still offers his work weeks/seminars. Myself and others I know have found both to be a good investment of time.

Link to some of his articles: http://siriusdog.com/article/author/Lance+Collins

Link to the club he is affiliated with: http://www.wcgssc.com/members.php

If you manage to make contact with Lance just make sure you have your head on straight. He's an IPO guy through and through and pretty much all business. My experiences with him were favorable and quite memorable.

Please Register!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2017, 05:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Training: IPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole Stark View Post
Jeremy, I don't remember if or where you said you are located but for Dan, providing you have an interest in IPO consider checking out Lance Collins. I believe that he still offers his work weeks/seminars. Myself and others I know have found both to be a good investment of time.

Link to some of his articles: http://siriusdog.com/article/author/Lance+Collins

Link to the club he is affiliated with: http://www.wcgssc.com/members.php

If you manage to make contact with Lance just make sure you have your head on straight. He's an IPO guy through and through and pretty much all business. My experiences with him were favorable and quite memorable.
I'm in upstate NY by lake Ontario
Jeremy White is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-08-2017, 07:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Thi View Post
Good advice, I appreciate it.

@Leslie; Right now I would really like to help new dog owners get their puppies settled into their homes. I know it can be quite the challenge for those who have never owned a pet before, and I know I have the skills to teach that basic groundwork, obedience and puppy house training to the dog, but more important to the handler/client. (I have seen puppy training programs at some of the major retail pet stores, and I feel they far over price the classes, and do not teach/relay enough information to the new pet owners.)

Longterm, Probably IPO/Schutzhund training, and maybe even rehabbing troubled dogs, so like an animal behaviourist, would be interesting. Although, I am new to the world of IPO, and I would first like to learn the sport as a student, and see how far I can take my dog in it. Before even considering anyone else's dog in this area, I have got a lot to learn in this department.

What I was considering was offering New Pet Owners free training sessions in exchange for a written, or video review, or something along that line.

Or would I be better off taking that time to do a course at an online dog training school, then attempting CCPDT Certification? In this case, I feel it is more of a $2-5000 piece of paper - as most degrees from schools generally are.... (Not to be confused with a paper that is titling your dog.) It is not really until you apply that knowledge in the real world, that you start to go somewhere. Then it is not much different from being partially self-taught through books and partially through hands-on-work, than it is to take a class for similar information. I feel the latter would come out behind, since they would lack that hands on experience people who take the first route would already have.

The other thing I was thinking was simply, offering trainers a hand for free, to get hands on training, and a good source of information, while also being helpful to the trainer. I did talk to some people who said they could use a hand (also they are fairly new to the business themselves.)

In the mean time, I continue to read books, and not just watch- but study videos. Also, the way I see it is, I don't think very many people who are truly "Masters" at what they do, are so humble as to calling themselves masters. I feel that comes from others insight of an individual based on that individual's success.
Dan you might want to go to the nearest K9 unit and visit with the guys there. They may let you come join in with them if nothing else its great to go and sit and watch. You find guys doing that that also enjoy sch and the other sports too.
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!

Old 04-08-2017, 07:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Undecided

You can always throw an ad up on kijiji and see if you get any takers.

In the meantime, keep training your own dog. Offer to help your friends with their dogs.

If you want a project, foster a dog for a rescue. Most of the dogs I've fostered have been nice, ordinary dogs who just haven't had much training. If you could take a bouncy, out of control, young dog and show off some snappy obedience a few months later, not only do you get a chance to polish your skills with different dogs, but you also give a dog a better chance of being adopted and can feel good about helping the rescue and saving dogs.
leslie cassian is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

Training: Police K9

Quote:

The other thing I was thinking was simply, offering trainers a hand for free, to get hands on training, and a good source of information, while also being helpful to the trainer. I did talk to some people who said they could use a hand (also they are fairly new to the business themselves.)
Before investing time assisting someone else on your dime, make sure they are someone that is considered good at what they do and can verbally describe their methods and the reasons why they do certain things. The only thing two trainers can agree on is what the 3rd trainer is doing wrong so it's not an easy choice on who to trust, especially if you're new at it. Word of mouth is key here so ask around about the person you want to help. Use tact when asking around and be sure to let it be known you want brutal honesty....honesty that you'll keep in confidence. Lots of K9 folks will not say anything negative about another because they don't want to be trash talked either. It's a dance.

Please Register!
Old 04-08-2017, 11:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

I'm from Ontario, Canada, but thanks for the reference Nicole.

That's a good point Howard, one can be a good trainer but not a good teacher..that would not be very helpful. (My quote was supposed to say although instead of also*, implying iffiness about it.) It would be much more worth it to be around experienced individuals, although probably more difficult to get into.

That's a good idea to! I will look into some k9 places. (To be clear by k9, do you mean actual police dog trainers?)

There is actually an IPO event two weeks from now, about two-three hours away from me. (found out through a Schutzhund Club organization.) I may try to go, it should be a really nice opportunity to meet people.
Dan Thi is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-08-2017, 11:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

K9 Trainers=any dog trainer.

Please Register!
Old 04-09-2017, 06:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Landshark

Training: Personal Protection

Quote:
I'm from Ontario, Canada, but thanks for the reference Nicole.

That's a good point Howard, one can be a good trainer but not a good teacher..that would not be very helpful. (My quote was supposed to say although instead of also*, implying iffiness about it.) It would be much more worth it to be around experienced individuals, although probably more difficult to get into.

That's a good idea to! I will look into some k9 places. (To be clear by k9, do you mean actual police dog trainers?)

There is actually an IPO event two weeks from now, about two-three hours away from me. (found out through a Schutzhund Club organization.) I may try to go, it should be a really nice opportunity to meet people.
I intermix the use of canine and K9 ... like Howard says it means all of them lol
Dan the way I originally got into training was there was nobody in the area that worked with these kinds of dogs other than the law enforcement and military. Luckily I live right next to an air base. I took my rottweiler puppy and went down to the police station and asked for the person in charge of the unit. He came out and greeted me and liked my pup. We started talking and he said "just come out wednesday and we will be training and that allowed me the opportunity to get to know some of the guys/gals and others in the area that were handlers and trainers. I wound up as an apprentice with a trainer and the rest as they say is history. Im still traveling the same path and still trying to figure it all out. Is your main goal as of now to compete in schutzhund?
Brian Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ankle Biter

Ahh okay, that is what I figured... there are a few training places/companies that use the k9 abbreviation in their names, but that doesn't necessarily imply K9 in the police sense, okay .

Thats really neat Brian, pretty much what I currently seek. To answer your question, I look at it in two different ways, a personal/hobby goal, and a business/career opportunity/goal. Schutzhund with my puppy being the first, and being a dog trainer/behaviourist the latter.

I think the best thing for me right now would be to get into a Schutzhund Club first and foremost. I see Schutzhund as an advanced form of basic domestic-pet obedience, meaning learning Schutzhund would probably give me better tools to train and understand dogs in general.
That does not mean I am not still searching for a "mentor".
Dan Thi is online now   Reply With Quote

Please Register!
Old 04-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Broke the Bark Collar

We have regular visitors to our Wednesday in service training. It's good PR for the department. Just don't go bragging that you train with such and such agency. It will get you uninvited in a hurry if you offend someone and they complain.

Please Register!